Skip to content

weapon proficiencies for dwarf F/T in SoA ?

Been googling for weapon proficiencies for a F/T in bg2 and it's getting confusing since stuff is all over the place and typically is mentioning BG1.

Currently in a game I just started in BG2 I'm going with a Dwarf F/T and he has ** in staffs, two handed weapon style, and short bow.
I'm using Staff Spear +2

Is this a decent start? Or should EE Keeper to something else? I enjoy backstabbing, but I'm too lazy to reapply hiding/going invisible and doing it again once fighting breaks out, so I'd prefer to also be decent in pure melee, so not sure if maybe I should switch from 2handed and staff to maybe dual wielding? (and what weapons?) or just stick with the staff?
TIA

Comments

• Lord_TansheronLord_Tansheron Member Posts: 4,211
    Depends on what your party is going to look like. There's several very good weapons, and naturally you'd want to spread them around.

If you don't like backstabbing regularly, then 2-handed is probably not the best way to go. It's great to switch in for an opening backstab, of course, but for sustained damage you're likely to see better results dual-wielding.

As for what weapons, there's many to choose from. One recommendation that is fairly safe is flails, for the old and trusted Flail of the Ages. That weapon has the distinction of not only being available very early on, but actually getting better throughout the game and ending up as probably the most damaging one-handed weapon of all. Hard to go wrong!

But there's many other alternatives, too. Long Swords are a fairly safe bet, since there's usually always a decent one around at various stages in the game. Or you could also go with ranged weapons if you like that, Shortbow or Crossbow preferably, as there's very good ones in that category.

The proficiency system in this game does unfortunately lead to some weird planning issues, so you'll have to have an idea of what is coming and what to expect if you wish to plan ahead. If not, I personally do not see anything wrong with new players adjusting proficiencies via EEKeeper, until they get used to things - that is, if you have the ambition of min/maxing in the first place. If not, feel free to explore and use what's cool - the unmodded game is not unforgiving enough to punish that, don't worry!
  • rickcrrickcr Member Posts: 77
    Thanks Lord Tansheron... Lot to think about. I like to run with a smaller party (4, most 5) and I know I want to use Keldorn. Looking at the NPCs, I'm thinking I'll try and use Keldorn as my main tank and then me as ranged with a shortbow, plus Aerie, and for now Jaheira, but later Imoen. Might keep Minsc around as well for extra melee support, but we'll see.

How would the DPS with a dwarf F/T with a shortbow compare to dual wielding? Obviously it's weapon dependent, but keep in mind I'm not concerned with the very late game. I know, I should probably just "Play" and not worry about it, but I can't help asking:)
  • Lord_TansheronLord_Tansheron Member Posts: 4,211
    Shortbows are among the best ranged weapons, and you can get one of the best bows very early on in the game. You should do quite well with it for a long time, and later on you can craft a very good special bow, too.
  • SionIVSionIV Member Posts: 2,689
    edited December 2015
    Quarter staff and Crossbow. You can pick up the Staff of Rynn +4 from Ribald and Firetooth +4 (can upgrade it to +5) from the shop at the top of Watcher's Keep. Both of these items are awesome, the Staff of Rynn is a +4 weapon with good damage, the Firetooth is amazing and will take care of Trolls, Mages, Golems and pretty much everything else, without needing ammunition. The weapons are somewhat cheap and you can pick them up the moment you exit Irenicus dungeon if you get the money needed for them.

A nice thing with having a Staff and Crossbow, is that you can easily swap between the weapons, while you would have to remove a weapon if you dual wield, when you want to attack with your crossbow. A staff deals crushing damage, so you're able to damage annoying creatures like the Clay Golem. Firetooth is the best ranged weapon in the game, and later on you'll be able to pick up the Staff of Ram, which is one of the most damaging weapons in the game for backstabbing.
  • rickcrrickcr Member Posts: 77
    awesome advice guys. Thanks!
  • ReticentReticent Member Posts: 122
    Other nice things about the quarter staff would be the fact that they have longer reach than single handed weapons, and that there are lots of them with useful extra abilities.
  • AerakarAerakar Member Posts: 1,025
    @rickcr, I also see staff and crossbow as solid RP choices for a Dwarven F/T, if this is part of your calculations.
  • BubblesBubbles Member Posts: 589
    And lets not forget when HLA comes in ^^ Staff of the Magi ^^
    Oh, Dwarf whether single or dual wielding, I also have a very strong liking for Axes and Hammers.
    Reason is, there are 2 magical throwing axes + 1 hammer (Dwarven Thrower) which can be obtained rather early in the game. Plus a couple of very powerful melee Axes and Hammers in ToB.
  • SionIVSionIV Member Posts: 2,689
    The problems with axes and hammers on a rogue is that you can't backstab with them, which is a shame.
    Yeah, it is kind of a big joke. A long thing like a Quarterstaff u can use for backstab but not an axe or something.
    Off topic, Kensai cannot use missile weapons but can hurl axes ^^
  • SkatanSkatan Member, Moderator Posts: 5,352
    I you want to maximizie your raw dmg output, then dual weild pretty much always win. it's not really needed, but it's unfortunately quiet easy to get obsessed with dmg and APR maximization.

With that said though, staff and shortbow are good choices. There are as many choices here as there are weapons, almost, but I would continue with what you have for now. As said above, there are plenty of good, early and late choices for both staffs and shortbows.

You could also buy the staff mace +2 which can be used singehanded and have a shield in the inventory for when/if you need/want to tank better.

• gorgonzolagorgonzola Member Posts: 3,864
    If you are not obsessed with dmg and APR maximization, but you want good damage and versatility a good choice is staves, 2hand swords and short bows (or Xbows).
    As SionIV explained staves are, both in early and late game, the best backstabbers and if you manage to find 2 staff maces you can even dual weld them......
    In early game you can have a +3 2HS that grants you a very useful immunity against very annoyng things, and you will appreciate it due to your low saving throws. Later on, whith UAI, you can use that paladin only 2hander for magical resistence and dispel on hit or, if you decide to give it to Keldorn, you find a real nasty 2HS in the underdark. and in TOB other even better.
    There is a big sinergy in that approach. You benefit form the pips in 2HW with a slashing, a crushing and a backstabbing weapon.
    And your main tank can dual weld for high dps or use a shield (in early and midgame) for a good AC.