Skip to content

NPC personality and alignment discussion.

13»

Comments

• elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited February 2016
    Nuin said:

I don't think it's about that. They're in Athkatla - they have to agree to the terms of ruling council/government, ie, "Behave or we'll kick you out of the city".

Thats assuming that the Council would take issue with the order killing members of the church of Talos. Talos is a pretty universally despised god. I doubt they would weep much over the death of its members. Also churches and knightly orders attacking other churches is probably not very uncommon particularly in the larger cities :)
    Post edited by elminster on
  • NuinNuin Member Posts: 451
    edited February 2016
    There's fighting in the background, yeah, but never openly.
    And the council would indeed take issue to open murder of Talos' followers. Talos is a greater deity, why risk the wrath of the lord of storms/destruction? Especially on a city that relies on commerce.

And Talos may not be well-liked, but fear can draw followers too. That's how churches like these work.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited February 2016
    The good/evil church stronghold questlines have you [spoiler=spoiler for church stronghold questlines] potentially attack and kill the leader of a church depending upon your alignment/diety. So while it may not be openly done in the streets its hardly unheard of. Its just a question of when they have enough of a conflict and a means to do it (which is why when the Talosians ask you to investigate the cult of the Eyeless they say "We would reinforce you with Talons, but we must guard against a real temple, something you will help with later. For now, I wish you the mercy of Talos.") [/spoiler]

I doubt the council is unaware of who would have ordered such a thing. Ultimately, the Council's would be probably tied up anyway with other more pressing concerns (like a certain newly appearing power that is challenging the Shadow Thieves)
  • BubblesBubbles Member Posts: 589
    Well, the council would gladly let the temples meddle with themselves and not interfering with the council's circle of power and influences ^^.
  • NuinNuin Member Posts: 451
    edited February 2016
    That's the thing. All the blame goes to your PC since you're the only who actually does the killing (followers of opposing deities all wish each other dead anyway, so deities can't punish them without slaughtering all of each other's faithful). No biggie for the council/government or even the churches, they don't actually lose anything. If anything, what you do creates opportunities for them to gain something.

Meanwhile if Lathander/Helm/Talos ever decide punish someone for the deed, it's all you. Automatic game over brought on by divine intervention seems anti-climactic though.
    Anyway with things like these there has to be consequences, especially if you're not a Bhaalspawn.