Skip to content

Walk Speeds - I'm a little concerned

GloomfrostGloomfrost Member Posts: 267
edited September 2012 in Archive (General Discussion)
I remember trying TuTu once but was really turned off by the walk speeds , they seemed just to fast. With BG:EE being based on the BG2 engine will it feel like i'm running super fast? Will monster speed match player speed or can i simply walk away from all melee combat?

Will Barbarians innate speed, Boots of Speed, and Haste stack as well?

Comments

• raywindraywind Member Posts: 289
    For the last 50 or so play throughs i have used framerate 60 just to get to places faster so walking should not be an issue for me
  • GoodSteveGoodSteve Member Posts: 607
    You will move as fast as you did in Baldur's Gate 2. Both games share the same movement speed.
  • kilroy_was_herekilroy_was_here Member Posts: 455
    If you want I think you can use shadowkeeper to lower/raise your walking speed. Just make sure it's the same for all characters or you might end up in trouble.
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    The problem with Tutu was that the player's walking speed was faster than a lot of creatures' walking speeds.

Since BG:EE is being reworked to accommodate the ToB engine, this should no longer be an issue.
  • KaxonKaxon Member Posts: 156
    I think you're in the minority on wanting low walking speed - this game is huge and exploring everything takes long enough with BG2 walking speed.
  • GloomfrostGloomfrost Member Posts: 267
    glad to hear all monster have been scaled to the PC and NPC's, no actually its great news, the only thing that has been bothering me about EE and its all fixed :)
  • DragonspearDragonspear Member Posts: 1,838
    @TrentOster

First having Khalid do naked furry bear hugs. Now feeding Imoen to the wolves? Is there any canon party member OTHER than Minsc that you like?
  • CaptRoryCaptRory Member Posts: 1,660
    I have to admit abusing the teleport cheat command to move around faster. And maybe cheating in extra boots of speed just because walking took so long. Haha.

So anything that boosts walking speed is ok by me.
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    ctrl+j became a standard command to me mainly when I have to cross an entire map again or have to walk half the map to reach a river crossing.
    YES! Or when you had to cross an entire zone to run one errand, like having the smith guy in BG2 make you a new weapon. "Well, I could spend ten minutes walking there and another ten back, to spend two minutes in his workshop... or I could hit Ctrl+j."
  • Excalibur_2102Excalibur_2102 Member Posts: 351

@TrentOster

First having Khalid do naked furry bear hugs. Now feeding Imoen to the wolves? Is there any canon party member OTHER than Minsc that you like?

He likes Boo....
  • MathuzzzMathuzzz Member Posts: 203
    edited September 2012
    I´m a little worried concerning walking speed. In BG 2 they walked too fast. They moved much faster than what their walking animation showed, what was a little weird.
  • DragonspearDragonspear Member Posts: 1,838
    @Excalibur_2102

You're right I forgot he likes Boo, he puts up with Minsc because there can be no Boo without Minsc. As far as the rest of the canon party......

Well I'm waiting for him to say that he told Jaheria to tank Firkragg with just Barkskin.
  • AndrewRogueAndrewRogue Member Posts: 72
    Thank the gods. I had to memorize about 20 copies of Haste a day to not feel like I was moving way too slow.
    Didn't haste take years off your character's life when you used it? That means you'd drop dead just walking from one end of town to the other with Haste. Haha~

I know it wasn't reflected in the game but it was in the spell description if I recall.
  • kilroy_was_herekilroy_was_here Member Posts: 455
    edited September 2012
    In working on BG2EE did you also look at the walking speeds in the Underdark after everyone underwent their... avatar change? I always noticed inconsistent walking speed/pathfinding in that part.

@CaptRory Yeah; that years off the life span penalty was one of the biggest reason to roll a non-human (esp an elf) if you were thinking that far ahead. Of course, then the problem is, does the arbitrary elven mage level limit even let you get high enough to cast 9th level spells? (thinking of wish here...)

Lemme dig out the book: Haste ages the target one year, limited wish ages the caster one year 'per 100 years of natural life span', wish ages the caster 5 years (interestingly no 'per 100 years line here) and resurrection ages the caster 3 years and requires the caster to have complete bed rest for one day per hit die of the target. Restoration ages the caster AND the target two years.
  • DiscoCatDiscoCat Member Posts: 73
    Aosaw said:

Imoen was just eaten by a wolf. I guess she just couldn't run fast enough. I sent her in one direction and ran my main character in the other direction. Wolves definitely move faster than the player.

-Trent

You know what they say: You don't have to run faster than the wolf. You just have to run faster than the rest of your party.
    Not even that. You only have to move faster than the slowest member of your party. That would be Edwin carrying a full plate in his backpack.
  • RexfaroensisRexfaroensis Member Posts: 134

In working on BG2EE did you also look at the walking speeds in the Underdark after everyone underwent their... avatar change? I always noticed inconsistent walking speed/pathfinding in that part.

@CaptRory Yeah; that years off the life span penalty was one of the biggest reason to roll a non-human (esp an elf) if you were thinking that far ahead. Of course, then the problem is, does the arbitrary elven mage level limit even let you get high enough to cast 9th level spells? (thinking of wish here...)

Lemme dig out the book: Haste ages the target one year, limited wish ages the caster one year 'per 100 years of natural life span', wish ages the caster 5 years (interestingly no 'per 100 years line here) and resurrection ages the caster 3 years and requires the caster to have complete bed rest for one day per hit die of the target. Restoration ages the caster AND the target two years.

Those are some hefty penalties right there!

Cadderly Bonaduce would have a few select words about this..
  • bigdogchrisbigdogchris Member Posts: 1,336
    edited September 2012
    What I don't understand is that in BG 2 the original developers felt it necessary to remove all of the "dead spaces" between area's, which as a role player/adventurer, where the best parts to me. On top of removing much of the walking spaces, they increased the movement speed to 1.5 to boot.

I don't think in a story driving role playing gave, moving attention away from exploration and onto combat is the right move.
  • BrudeBrude Member Posts: 560

@bigdogchris I couldn't agree more. One of the things I loved about the original game was that there were big, empty wilderness areas. They didn't have any quests, and just a few monsters, but their presence really added to the immersion.

BG2, by comparison, feels almost claustrophobic.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,316
    edited September 2012
    So does this mean bear hunting will become a lot more difficult than in vanilla BG? I mean, I will be playing a shapeshifter so I won't be killing any wild animals if I can help it, but the fact that bears moved so slowly was of great help in making them easier to kill for a level one character. Particularly archers well versed in not letting their targets get into close quarters with them.
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    We can always hope there will be wilderness areas in BG2 EE. I also miss them when playing BG2.
  • CuanCuan Member Posts: 38
    @elminster

I had forgotten bears walk slow. I have played BGT with so many mods over the years that my bears actually move the same speed as charname and friends and are not a easy kill. :)
  • colonel_burgercolonel_burger Member Posts: 279
    Yeah I really miss those wilderness zones. I definitely felt BG2 was too dense, and should have been spread across at least 10 more zones :)
  • DjimmyDjimmy Member Posts: 749
    edited September 2012
    Boots of Speed = Game Level: Much easier. Putting BoS is like modifying difficulty ingame. That's not a bug at all because in real life BoS could make life much easier too.

@elminster I won't kill animals too. I have a practice to charm them if they attack. Then I leave.
    Disclaimer: No animals were harmed during the playthrough.
  • LemernisLemernis Member, Moderator Posts: 4,318
    Isn't walkspeed configurable in the original game? It's too long since I played the game so I can't remember details like this. Anyway, I think someone posted to that effect in another thread and recommend a setting of 45 for it.
  • colonel_burgercolonel_burger Member Posts: 279
    @lemernis you're correct. I found it's better to just adjust the walk speed slightly in the ini files/via shadowkeeper, than to plonk on boots of speed, that was over the top. Particularly with when running via Tutu, haste made your characters move way too fast.