Skip to content

Powerful items early on.

2»

Comments

• AerakarAerakar Member Posts: 1,014
    On Firebead Elvenhair, exactly 30 times is the key. 29 or 32 times and it does not happen. After you click on him the 30th time, there is a 4-5 second pause before the 300gp appears in your gold stash. It is easy to mess this up.

You can repeat this the next time you speak with him in Beregost for an additional 300 gold, for 600gp in total. The same procedure applies.

I have done this in every pre-EE and EE BG game I have ever played. It works every time if you get the counts right.
    JuliusBorisovKilivitz
    I am not sure if this has already been mentioned, but you can pickpocket the gnome Dushai in Ulgoth's Beard for a Ring of Free-Action. This is an excellent tool for dealing with spiders and also mages casting web pre-boots of speed. It also opens up wonderful tactical options, e.g. mage casts web and tank heads into the web yelling "time for some carnage.
    JuliusBorisovCaptRory
  • Eadwyn_G8keeperEadwyn_G8keeper Member Posts: 541
    JLee said:

tuldor88 said:

JLee said:

Actually the Firebeard trick still works in ee. Talk to him and get the quest. Then talk to him exactly 29 more times and wait. You will get 300 gold.

I don't know what version you have but I just tested it on BGEE v1.3 and talked to him 40 times - without any effect :)

Note the word "exactly" in my sentence. You have to talk to him a total of 30 times, including his original quest dialog. You must wait about 5 seconds after the 30th time and you will see the notice in my screenshot.
    In my BG-TotSCVan. You can actually pull this off twice. Both in Candlekeep and in Beregost. I generally use it to buy Reputation pts.
  • CaptRoryCaptRory Member Posts: 1,660
    I love how you can just buy reputation. It's a pretty good investment since you get a discount on goods.
    Eadwyn_G8keeper
  • Eadwyn_G8keeperEadwyn_G8keeper Member Posts: 541
    Yeah. I always get to Rep.13 [which in my game is the first rank costing more than 100gp] as early as possible so the various Rep+1 rewards stack up quickly. I usually more than recoup the investment when buying various moderately expensive items in Chap 1-2 Beregost locations.
    CaptRorySouave_Said
  • RaduzielRaduziel Member Posts: 4,714
    To be honest, I'm really surprise in knowing that there are people that actually buy Rep.

I just use it when I screw things up in an evil run.
    I use the BGTweaks option to reduce rep point awards by over 75% in my set-up. I still find myself usually in the high teens by the end regardless. I also remove the reputation effect on store prices.
  • Mikey205Mikey205 Member Posts: 307
    Girdle of piercing from the Ogre south of friendly arm inn is good. Greywolf's sword is amazing considering how early you can get it. Bastard sword +1 in the beregost smithy.
  • BigfishBigfish Member Posts: 367
    Mikey205 said:

Bastard sword +1 in the beregost smithy.

Wait what?!?!? Holy Crap. There it is. Huh.
    @GreenWarlock, my 19 constitution Dwarven bounty hunter fully supports this idea (and uses it with his short sword and throwing daggers).
    RaduzielJuliusBorisovGreenWarlock
  • abacusabacus Member Posts: 1,307
    Beruel's Retort... +1 throwing axes from Beregost smithy. If used in melee-mode, you have a magical weapon for under 50 gold.
    JuliusBorisovGreenWarlockAerakarEadwyn_G8keeper
  • GreenWarlockGreenWarlock Member Posts: 1,354
    @abacus - I did not know that throwing axes even had a melee mode, is that a bug or a feature? ;)
    I believe feature, but seems like a quasi-oversight to provide a +1 magical weapon so cheaply. When I use Kagain, this is my go-to weapon until I can afford the +1 battle axe at Feldpost's. But I cannot count how many times I have accidentally switched from melee to thrown, even a few times when this was my last axe after using the rest of his stack as ranged weapons.

Why are there no +1 throwing daggers???
    edited February 2016
    Just notice that you can wear throwing axes and shield, but can't do the same with throwing daggers.

Anybody knows if it is supposed to work this way?
    In BG1 I have recently used bucklers and shields and throwing daggers. Could the shield prohibition be from something else, e.g. low strength, class restrictions?
    JuliusBorisov
  • thelovebatthelovebat Member Posts: 218
    The half ogre with the belt fetish that one character in the Friendly Arm Inn wants you to kill drops a very good belt and he isn't too hard to kill if you have ranged weapons. In fact I never complete that quest now cus it's much better to just keep the belt and pass on a few measly EXP. points I'll gain back later in the game. The belt is called Elves Bane I believe and gives +3 AC to piercing and missile attacks, which is a great AC boost early in the game against ranged foes.
    AerakarCaptRory
    edited February 2016
    Aerakar said:

In BG1 I have recently used bucklers and shields and throwing daggers. Could the shield prohibition be from something else, e.g. low strength, class restrictions?

Fighter/Thief, Half-Orc, 19 STR. For sure it's nos a class or strength restriction.

Weapon Slot 1: Short Sword +2

Weapon Slot 2: Throwing Daggers

Can't equip shield.

Weapon Slot 1: Short Sword +2

Weapon Slot 1: Heart of the Golem (dagger +2)

Can equip shield.

Edit: That's odd. Reloaded my save to print a screenshot and this time I was able to equip the shield.
    Aerakar