Skip to content

For new people to BG multiplayer.

WigglesWiggles Member Posts: 571
edited December 2012 in New Players (NO SPOILERS!)
For those of us that are too young or didn't have the high speed internet speed at the time, I'd like to start a thread where people could post questions they have about how the multiplayer used to be like in BG. Obviously, some issues will be fixed with the EE coming out in a week, but still it'd be good to know some things about how the game differs between SP & MP and what to expect.

If you have any questions to add please post below and I'll add it to the list. If someone is able answer then I'll post it next to the question. Thanks to all that contribute.

Metagame:
1. Is there a pre-game lobby where we wait to have people join or does the host create the game and people just join in?
A:Both. There is a pre-game lobby, from which the host manages all player options. When you start a new game this is one of the first screens you see, but other players can join in once the game has started so long as the host didn't turn off the listen to requests option. **Thanks @Sereph

2. Is the host able to save the game to continue where they left off so that the host and his friends don't have to start over every time they play MP?
A:Yes, the host can save. I believe that other players can save as well, though I've only ever hosted games in the past so I'm not sure. **Thanks @Sereph

3. When you create a character for MP, is that character able to play on other sessions, or are they locked to only that game in particular? Can you have more than one character for MP? (like I have a halfling rogue, a human cleric, and a dwarf fighter but which one should I use for this session.)
A: Any character you create can be accessed through an "Import" button during character creation. You select a saved game or a character file (created using the pre-generate character option). So, you can access any character you use for any game in any other game you start. It is possible to use more than one character at the same time in multiplayer. The six party slots are assigned to players to use for either PC or NPC party members found through the adventure. A lot of people (myself included) have started a multiplayer game and then played solo so that we can create each of the six party members. **Thanks @Sereph

4. If the host dies does the game end there? If you're able to save, can you reload?
A: The host has control of the first character slot and their character will be charname, so yes, if they die the game ends. Reloading is possible, just like the single player. **Thanks @Sereph

5. Can the host change during gameplay? What happens if the host lags out?
A:Only the host could save and the host was the only one who had the save file. I don't think you could change host during gameplay but if the host sent you the savegame you could host it. If the host lagged out, the connection crashed. It was really unstable like that. And I'm sure most of that won't matter anymore since they seem to have remastered the multiplayer. **Thanks @Seran

6.I have a question about custom portraits. If I use a custom portrait that my friends don't have on their computer do they still see the portrait that I use? **Asked by @Cleave
A:In the original Baldur's Gate a player couldn't see a custom portrait (It was blank) unless they also had the exact same file. The same went for Modded items and sound packs. It was possible to get around this by uploading all the custom portraits (and modded items) to a usb and passing it round, but I'm unsure how this will work in the enhanced edition. **Thanks @ST4TICStriker

Dialogue:
1. Is the host the only person that can communicate with quest givers? If not then how do they decide on what option to choose?
A:Dialogue is one of the many player permissions decided by the host for each other player who joins their game. If the host gives each player permission to initiate dialogue, the player who actually does that will have control over the dialogue options. **Thanks @Sereph

2. Is the host the only person that can trade with merchants?
A:Same as above, merchants are one of the player permissions, though I feel like I need to point out that the party shares a single pool of gold. **Thanks @Sereph

3. About shopping, can both players (assuming we're 2) browse the wares at the same time? Or only one character at a time? It might get tedious if we have to take turn managing our inventories.. **Asked by @Cleave
A:We had to take turns in original BG1, plus when someone talked to an NPC it would kick you out of the shopping screen. I believe even BG2 and IWD2 had that issue. But I'm willing to bet they fixed it with BGEE. **Thanks @Seran

Gameplay
1. Who decides when we rest?
A: The host and any client who has permission to initiate the rest. **Thanks @Quineloe

2. Is there still friendly fire for spells like Fireball and Lightning?
A: Yes

Combat
1. What....is...THACO??? I've played this game for years, but never new what it was. **Asked by GypsySocks
A:Thaco means "to hit armor class 0" (I've only played 2nd edition AD&D twice so I could be wrong with this next statement) but it basically means what your character would have to roll to hit someone whose armor class is zero. Fighters & paladins would obviously have a lower THAC0 (which is a good thing) than say a mage.

Inventory/Gold
1. Is there a shared pool of gold that the party manages together?
A: Yes.

2. Is there still trading between party members and is it similar like that in single-player?
A: Yes. Clicking on an item then clicking the player's portrait is how trading occured.

NPCs
1. Who controls the NPCs? (Imoen, Minsc, Xzar, etc.)
A: The host assigns control of the NPCs to the other players. He could leave it to himself and so another player will only control the character they brought.

Mods
1. I have a multiplayer question related to mods, if a mod like SCS is installed, how will that impact the enemy ai in multiplayer? **Asked by @DespotYeti
A: My guess would be that as long as every player uses exactly the same installation setup, it should work. If you don't get an answer here from someone who has actually done it and can confirm, I'd recommend asking on the SCS II forum. **Kinda answered by @Lemernis :)
Post edited by Wiggles on

Comments

• SerephSereph Member Posts: 23
    edited September 2012
    I'm answering off of memory, and am probably only about 80% sure of any statement I make in this post, so if I'm wrong call me out on it. That said...

1) Both. There is a pre-game lobby, from which the host manages all player options. When you start a new game this is one of the first screens you see, but other players can join in once the game has started so long as the host didn't turn off the listen to requests option.

2)Yes, the host can save. I believe that other players can save as well, though I've only ever hosted games in the past so I'm not sure.

3) Any character you create can be accessed through an "Import" button during character creation. You select a saved game or a character file (created using the pre-generate character option). So, you can access any character you use for any game in any other game you start.

It is possible to use more than one character at the same time in multiplayer. The six party slots are assigned to players to use for either PC or NPC party members found through the adventure. A lot of people (myself included) have started a multiplayer game and then played solo so that we can create each of the six party members.

4) The host has control of the first character slot and their character will be charname, so yes, if they die the game ends. Reloading is possible, just like the single player.

5) I'm not sure about this one.

Dialogue:
    1) Dialogue is one of the many player permissions decided by the host for each other player who joins their game. If the host gives each player permission to initiate dialogue, the player who actually does that will have control over the dialogue options.

2) Same as above, merchants are one of the player permissions, though I feel like I need to point out that the party shares a single pool of gold.
    Post edited by Sereph on
  • SeranSeran Member Posts: 28
    Only the host could save and the host was the only one who had the save file. I don't think you could change host during gameplay but if the host sent you the savegame you could host it. If the host lagged out, the connection crashed. It was really unstable like that. And I'm sure most of that won't matter anymore since they seem to have remastered the multiplayer.
  • WigglesWiggles Member Posts: 571
    Thx to both of you @Seran & @Sereph for responding giving some info. I'll update the first post from my PC at home rather than from my phone.
  • GriegGrieg Member Posts: 507
    @Seran
    It should be spoiler free and you spoiler: you should change in fourth into charname instead!
  • GriegGrieg Member Posts: 507
    * sorry it should be @Sereph, sorry Seran.
  • SerephSereph Member Posts: 23
    @Grieg Thanks for pointing that out, editted
  • CleaveCleave Member Posts: 32
    Thanks for the info.

About shopping, can both players (assuming we're 2) browse the wares at the same time? Or only one character at a time? It might get tedious if we have to take turn managing our inventories..
    We had to take turns in original BG1, plus when someone talked to an NPC it would kick you out of the shopping screen. I believe even BG2 and IWD2 had that issue. But I'm willing to bet they fixed it with BGEE.
  • tablomqvisttablomqvist Member Posts: 1
    I have a question about custom portraits. If I use a custom portrait that my friends don't have on their computer do they still see the portrait that I use?
    @tablomqvist & @Cleave

I have a question about custom portraits. If I use a custom portrait that my friends don't have on their computer do they still see the portrait that I use?

Cleave said:

Thanks for the info.

About shopping, can both players (assuming we're 2) browse the wares at the same time? Or only one character at a time? It might get tedious if we have to take turn managing our inventories..

Both added to the list. Thanks
  • ST4TICStrikerST4TICStriker Member Posts: 162
    edited September 2012
    Q: I have a question about custom portraits. If I use a custom portrait that my friends don't have on their computer do they still see the portrait that I use?

A: In the original Baldur's Gate a player couldn't see a custom portrait (It was blank) unless they also had the exact same file. The same went for Modded items and sound packs.

It was possible to get around this by uploading all the custom portraits (and modded items) to a usb and passing it round, but I'm unsure how this will work in the enhanced edition.
    edited September 2012
    @ST4TICStricker

In the original Baldur's Gate a player couldn't see a custom portrait (It was blank) unless they also had the exact same file. The same went for Modded items and sound packs.

It was possible to get around this by uploading all the custom portraits (and modded items) to a usb and passing it round, but I'm unsure how this will work in the enhanced edition.

Added to the list. Thanks
    Off to work so I'll update hopefully in the morning. YAY 2nd shifts... -_-
  • GypsySocksGypsySocks Member Posts: 40
    What....is...THACO??? I've played this game for years, but never new what it was
    edited September 2012
    @GyspySocks
    Thaco means "to hit armor class 0" (I've only played 2nd edition AD&D twice so I could be wrong with this next statement) but it basically means what your character would have to roll to hit someone whose armor class is zero. Fighters & paladins would obviously have a lower THAC0 (which is a good thing) than say a mage. I'll add to the list however just for others. Thanks.
  • GypsySocksGypsySocks Member Posts: 40
    @Wiggles Ty very much
  • xLegionxxLegionx Member Posts: 197
    A curious question but do you guys by any chance plan to add pvp or party vs party battles especially now that you have an extra 2 months to consider what to add to the game?
    I have a question.

Q:What effect does the "Drunk" debuff have?
  • FolkwinFolkwin Member Posts: 1
    Very useful thread indeed!

I have played plenty BG, but never tried MP before.
    Surely there will be more questions once I start MP with the BGEE, and hopefully I will be able to answer them myself, but I will remember this thread!
    @Folkwin

It will probably be more (or less) relevant once they start showing off more of BG:EE. It probably should've been started by someone that has played MP, but then they wouldn't have any questions to ask. Hope to expand it more, but I'll be distracted when I get paid Thursday and get BL2.
  • DespotYetiDespotYeti Member Posts: 6
    I have a multiplayer question related to mods, if a mod like SCS is installed, how will that impact the enemy ai in multiplayer?
  • LemernisLemernis Member, Moderator Posts: 4,318
    My guess would be that as long as every player uses exactly the same installation setup, it should work. If you don't get an answer here from someone who has actually done it and can confirm, I'd recommend asking on the SCS II forum.
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    Considering the host player's computer is the one actually running the game's scripts, I believe only the host would need this kind of AI improvement installed.

It's different from a banter pack, for instance, where the client computer wouldn't be able to display strings not on its local database.

Of course, the only way to know for sure is after the release of BG EE and SCS EE.
    edited September 2012
    @ST4TICStricker

I have a question.

I wasn't aware there was a "Drunk" status, I never really bought enough beers in the game to expierence this. I'll add it if someone can confirm it and what it does. Thanks

@xLegionx
    xLegionx said:

A curious question but do you guys by any chance plan to add pvp or party vs party battles especially now that you have an extra 2 months to consider what to add to the game?

I'm not part of the development team in any way, just a guy sitting on his chair wondering what to do for the next two months. But a good question, just should be asked on another forum dedicated to the dev team. Thanks though.

Sorry for the late post and replies. I did get caught up in Borderlands 2. xD
    O and the first post has been editted with the new questions. Thanks to all.

• DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447

I have a question.

Drunkenness is an effect that occurs when a character buys a certain number of drinks at a tavern or inn. The specific number of drinks varies based on your Constitution score, with an average of five drinks causing intoxication in any character with a Constitution of 10 (a low constitution will require fewer drinks, a higher constitution will require more).

Once drunk, the character receives a bonus to morale, which affects whether or not a character will fight or run away (which means that drunk characters are less likely to run away). However, being drunk also imposes progressively greater penalties during combat.

The manual is unclear on what these penalties are, but they're significant enough to make it not a good idea to go picking fights after a night of drinking.
    Bump. Boo will take care of the details.
    Question: has anyone managed to get GameRanger to work with this?
  • QuineloeQuineloe Member Posts: 55
    edited December 2012

- the host and any client who has the permission to initiate the rest.

3. About shopping, can both players (assuming we're 2) browse the wares at the same time? Or only one character at a time? It might get tedious if we have to take turn managing our inventories..

Only one person can trade at a time, the other can walk around and interact with objects, but interaction with NSC (dialogue) will also end the trade for the first player.
    Quineloe said:

- the host and any client who has the permission to initiate the rest.

3. About shopping, can both players (assuming we're 2) browse the wares at the same time? Or only one character at a time? It might get tedious if we have to take turn managing our inventories..

Only one person can trade at a time, the other can walk around and interact with objects, but interaction with NSC (dialogue) will also end the trade for the first player.

I really wish they'd fix that if only for shopkeepers. There was something like this in BG2. Some NPC dialog interrupted everyone and paused the game but other dialog didn't interrupt anyone but the player who initiated it and you could see the game still running in the background with npcs or other players walking about.

Since BG2 had this feature, I'm pretty sure they could apply this to Shopkeepers so that everyone could shop at the same time. You'd still get interrupted out of the shop if someone talked to some other NPC though.