Skip to content

Weapon Mastery

I'm playing through BG2 and ToB with a pure class Kensai. I have modded Grand Mastery as per BG2 tweaks by Gibberlings3. Anyway, I'm planning on getting GM in Katanas for the old broken Celestial Fury but I'm looking for advice on a second weapon to get GM in for ToB when Celestial Fury might not be high enough enchantment to hit some of the enemies.

Any recommendations for what complements Celestial Fury/Hindo's Doom well?

Thanks

Comments

• JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    Do you want to do it from the RP point of view or from the power point of view?

Because if the former, a kensai mastering in a katana, could also train himself in the weapon category as close as possible - wakizashi, which grants you Usuno's blade +4 and Yamato +4. The same weapon proficiency works for scimitars, including Spectral Brand +4 and +5.

If you're judging from the power point of view, Foebane +5 (bastard swords), Club of Detonation +5 (clubs), Angurvadal +5 (long swords) and Flail of Ages +4 (flails, not the +5 version, though, because of the free action effect) are all wonderful weapons.
    gorgonzola
  • ArunsunArunsun Member Posts: 1,592
    Foebane (Bastard sword), Blackrazor/ Angurvadal (long sword), FoA(flail) Axe of the unyielding (Axe) Spectral Brand (Scimitar) and Crom Faeyr (Hammer) are excellent picks

Note that some are really decent options early game as well, axes have frostreaver which is excellent through most of SoA, long swords have Daystar and Namarra, Scimitars have Belm. You should consider early game as well before you make your choice.
  • I seem to remember reading recommendations for PnP D&D that the Bastard Sword is a good stand-in for a Katana in terms of stats and usage, so that might be a reasonable option; otherwise, as bengoshi says, wakizashi are thematically appropriate.
    JuliusBorisov
  • ReadingRamboReadingRambo Member Posts: 598
    edited January 2016
    You could use the old winbiff and infinity engine editor pro and mod CF to have +5 enchantment in terms of to hit (or make it fully +5 haha). Pretty broken but fun.

For even more ridiculous cheese I once made black razor a +5 katana and duel wielded them. At that point the cheese was of epic proportions, and the only dilemma in the game was which katana to main hand. Might not have been as effective as an APR off hand with one of those monsters, but who cares.

I love making my own spins on weapons with the tools that are still available. They still work with EE.

My current playthroughs are confined to iPhone and hence i am forcing my self to resist the cheese, as my phone isn't jail broken.

My favorite tweak, however, is to make Lilarcor match Belms statistics and give it to Minsc along with whatever main hand I want for him (typically flail of ages). I still get Lilarcors banter while retaining Belms APR bonus. It doesn't do anything game breaking (well, anything Belm doesn't do anyways), only flavor.

Post edited by ReadingRambo on
    Gotural