Skip to content

Hey Trent! PLEASE PLEASE throw us a bone, what's the new XP Cap?!

2»

Comments

• lockmundlockmund Member Posts: 354
    I agree. 199K would be a good cap.
  • bigdogchrisbigdogchris Member Posts: 1,336
    edited September 2012
    I hope people understand that by raising the cap you have just thrown the balance of the later parts of the game off. I felt overpowered just with ToTSC level increase, let alone to raise it even more.
  • ChrisYuiChrisYui Member Posts: 94
    Yeah, I would really enjoy the low level cap. The only time I ever removed it was for solo games where I wanted to see what level I could get to solo. The Sarevok battle should remain as tough as it was in vanilla BG1. Whether through AI enhancements or level cap retaining.
  • LemernisLemernis Member, Moderator Posts: 4,318
    The modding community will probably have an XP cap remover out in short order.

I wonder if this will work:

http://scratchpad.wikia.com/wiki/Experience_Cap
  • MortiannaMortianna Member Posts: 1,356
    @sandmanCCL I never got the impression that playing the game with five NPCs all the way through BG1 and ToTSC would push it past 200K. Although it would be nice if we could start BGII:EE around that point. It always seemed like it took forever to go from 9th to 12th level and finally have the ablility to cast 6th level mage spells.
  • leyshjonoeleyshjonoe Member Posts: 59
    Shin said:

The exp levels are already sort of softcapped. If you keep a full party you can't get much more than 250-270k for your main char for a complete playthrough (do all quests, clear all zones) unless you do some fairly extensive area-revisiting and spawn hunting. So upping the cap beyond that would only serve players who go with less than six party members or shuffle them out for exp-heavy zones, quest returns etc. I don't see it happening - might as well just remove it altogether if so.

I'm quite sure they've said the new content already in the game will be higher level, so the soft cap will be higher too.
  • colonel_burgercolonel_burger Member Posts: 279
    lockmund said:

I agree. 199K would be a good cap.

199K seems balanced to me. It's not like we're going to be fighting red dragons, just icky flesh golems and a billion kobolds. Still, will be interesting to see which monsters the devs shift from BG2 into BGEE.
  • GloomfrostGloomfrost Member Posts: 267
    edited September 2012
    it just might be vampires :(

how do you defend against level drain in BG!

still would love some kind of hint from the Devs about the xp cap
    Post edited by Gloomfrost on
  • sandmanCCLsandmanCCL Member Posts: 1,389
    Mortianna said:

@sandmanCCL I never got the impression that playing the game with five NPCs all the way through BG1 and ToTSC would push it past 200K. Although it would be nice if we could start BGII:EE around that point. It always seemed like it took forever to go from 9th to 12th level and finally have the ablility to cast 6th level mage spells.

If you do what I do and roll with just a small party til you're all around level 6, you'll hit the XP cap somewhere around Candlekeep's catacombs. This is without factoring in Durlag's Tower. Plus, you can "farm" XP by running between zones in Cloakwood. The random encounter rate there if you try to skip past zones is insane. If you jump between the first zone and the last, you'll fight huge groups of spiders that are each worth a few hundred XP, a group of ettercaps (same deal) or wyverns.

But you are mostly right. If you fill up your roster ASAP, it's fairly difficult to get up in levels.

Anyway, I was browsing over the XP tables. I think 200k is a bad stopping point. They'd need to go up to 225k to make it so druids didn't simply outclass everyone else. They'd hit 11. Higher than even thieves/bards.