Skip to content

Comparing the 2E and 5E D&D rules

JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,725
When I've learned that Beamdog is about to start (or has already started) working on a new 5E BG-esque game, for me, as someone who had known 2E rules back in the day but then dropped it when the 3E and later editions had come out due to major changes, the main thing has become to learn the 5E.

For about 15 years the only new experience and knowledge I have been getting about D&D rules were BG games. I may be funny for some people, but it's still true.

For some time now, I've been learning the 5E.

A complete copy of the D&D Basic Rules can be downloaded from the WotC - http://dnd.wizards.com/articles/features/basicrules?x=dnd/basicrules.

It has let me (and still lets) to learn a lot about the latest edition of the D&D rules.

But due to my specifics (the fact that post-2E rules have been mostly ignored by me), the main thing for me is not only learning the 5E as a whole, but comparing the 2E and 5E, finding similarities and differencies between the two.

I think it's probably the best time to compare them, as BG majorly was based on the 2E, while a new game will be based on the 5E.

I'll share my findings in this thread and will be very gratuful to any other contributions to this subject.

Comments

• BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653
    @bengoshi , Thank you for your hard work in providing this very useful comparison.

There's a problem just under "Races" with the first sentence, regarding half-orcs. The statement is self-contradictory. It lists half-orcs as a playable race for 2E (false), and then says "half-orc appeared only in 3E" (false). So I'm not sure what it's trying to say, although both premises in the contradiction are false.

Half-orc was a playable race in 1st edition AD&D, which I remember from my first player's handbook, although no one in my group played one.

According the Wikipedia reference chart below, the half-orc playable race was removed in 2E, then returned for 3E.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_character_races_in_Dungeons_&_Dragons
  • atcDaveatcDave Member Posts: 2,154
    I believe Half-Orc reappeared in Official 2E supplements. It was only removed from the core rules.

Although as Belgarath mentions, I don't recall any player ever wanting to play one so my memories may be faulty.
  • BillyYankBillyYank Member Posts: 2,768
    edited February 2016
    I'm going to have to finish reading the Player's Handbook so I can participate in this discussion. I've played a lot of 2nd Ed and 3(.5) Ed, but 5th is different enough that I haven't wrapped my head around it yet.

One thing I like about 5th over 3rd is adding 2 points for ability raises instead of 1, that get rid of the "wasted" point, since the ability bonus only changes every 2 points.
  • CamDawgCamDawg Member, Developer Posts: 3,438
    I picked up the 5e PHB a few months ago and have been reading it off and on, though I'm nowhere near finished. 2e is my comfort zone: I played 1e/2e on actual pen and paper (get off my lawn, onion on belt, so on and so forth) and my experience with other rule sets has been primarily through CRPGs.

So far I'm really liking the 5e rules. It's 2e-ish enough that I feel comfortable, minus nonsensical 2e restrictions, plus good stuff (both new and from 3e). One thing I love already is that every class is at least d6 for hit dice, and first level is always a max HP roll (modified by the normal bonuses and penalties such as CON).

From a CRPG perspective, there's a lot of stuff that I wonder how it could be implemented. Many classes give special die rolls that the player can opt to use at specific points during combat, always after a die roll for a check but before they know whether the check succeeds. E.g. bards receive a Bardic Inspiration ability, which allows them to add a d6 to any save, attack, or ability roll once in a 10-minute window. I just don't see an easy way to implement that in a CRPG--pause and check before every roll, try to generalize it in such a way as to eschew player input, or try to apply it selectively via algorithm. None of those are attractive options.
  • FardragonFardragon Member Posts: 4,511
    edited February 2016
    5e seems to be borrowing from Pathfinder, rather than directly from 3rd edition. The increased hp for casters is a case in point.

Yes, half orc was a core race in 1st edition, and a supplemental playable race in 2nd. I don't recall anyone actually wanting to play one either!
  • iKrivetkoiKrivetko Member Posts: 934
    As if casters needed any extra hp :\
    I played a half-orc fighter/cleric in 2nd ED. Great healer/tank and serene spiritual leader of the party.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,725
    edited February 2016
    I'm grateful for your attention to details, people. At first, my post indeed included self-contradictory things regarding half-orcs in the 2E due to typos/coping/pasting. Then I followed the BelgarathMTH's information and edited the post.

But then this question arose again. So I did a bit of searching on the subject. The Players' Handbook for the 2E, ver. 1, didn't include half-orcs. http://www.orbisrpg.co.uk/Planescape/players_handbook.pdf

But the Players' Handbook, ver.2, included them. http://www.kevindekker.com/dnd/files/phb2.pdf

So it looks like the Wiki says it right: "In second edition the half-orc was no longer a standard player character race, and half-orcs were largely removed from the basic rules, as part of a wide attempt by TSR to remove controversial topics from D&D".

The Dungeons & Dragons FAQ by Wizards of the Coast, mentions that Half-orcs in AD&D 2nd edition if compared to 1st edition were no longer a standard player character race. http://www.webcitation.org/query?url=http://www.wizards.com/dnd/DnDArchives_FAQ.asp&date=2008-10-03

So, I guess the edited version of "Half-orc appeared in the 1E and then in the 3E, being skipped in the 2E" should stay.
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    The 5e Bard is my least favorite class, @CamDawg - for that very reason. Every other class has abilities that are either used with an action or are passive effects. Bardic Inspiration is the only class ability that the player uses, then hands the reins over to another player who isn't playing that class to try and decide when is the best time to use the benefit. The mechanic it uses is Inspiration, which is an optional rule designed to add complexity to the game if the players agree to use it. The Bard, as written, forces everyone at the table to adopt that rule on a small scale, which doesn't seem to be in the spirit of 5e's rules as a whole.

My brother and I talked about that ability at length over Thanksgiving, and we came up with the following alternative:
    Bardic Inspiration
    As a reaction, the bard can grant inspiration to one ally who is about to perform an action that requires a d20 roll to determine success (a skill check or attack, for example). When that ally performs the action, their d20 roll is made with advantage. This ability can be used once, and its use is replenished when the Bard takes a long rest. (As the Bard gains levels they gain more uses of this ability.)
    This gives the Bard an ability that makes their allies more effective, without forcing other players to partake in a mechanic they may not understand. It's active, it uses the action economy, and it utilizes an existing mechanic (advantage) instead of creating a new system of scaling modifiers.

It also has the benefit of not being obviously musical in nature, leaving it open to interpretation of the Bard's player wants their character to be a poet or actor instead of a flautist.
  • CamDawgCamDawg Member, Developer Posts: 3,438
    Right, converting it to advantage is not a bad idea, but I was really looking at it in the context of CRPGs. That alternative still needs a player intervention as to where to play the advantage, which means you're still stuck with the same issues as above.
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    True. I think there's ways to do it, but they all depend on pausing gameplay while you decide what to do.

If it's turn-based, that's easier; you press a button at the appropriate time during someone's turn, and it activates your "Available Reactions" menu, or something. If it's real-time, you'd have reactions and actions and bonus actions all on separate cooldown timers, so it would basically be just an instant-use action ability that you'd use whenever it seems appropriate.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,725
  • scriverscriver Member Posts: 2,072
    @CamDawg, @Dee - I'd say it would probably be converted into a passive bonus instead, like it's equivalent were in 3.5.
  • moody_magemoody_mage Member Posts: 2,054
    *bookmarked*
    edited May 2016
    bengoshi said:

Just found https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.wgkammerer.testgui.basiccharactersheet.app and https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/fifth-edition-character-sheet/id967650851?mt=8 - an application for your Android or Apple device. It's a character creator in the 5E. It helped me to check how the 5E works.

"Designed for phones", that means my old eyes can read it easily on my Kindle. It should be mentioned that the free version will only create the character, if you want to level up, you need to buy the premium version.