Skip to content

Bad to worse. [minor, old, spoilers]

Ever have one of those days where it all goes wrong?

In my limited reload run through BG2, CHARNAME M/T and his noble allies, Jaheira, Anomen, Mazzy, Jan and Valygar were all bravely adventuring through the Druid Grove.

It was all going swimmingly, everyone's on decent health, starting to clear out the troll mound when.... critical cascade failure. Two giant trolls appear, get joined by two more from the fog of war, and all decide to focus fire Mazzy to death in two rounds flat, not even one of them failing their save against CHARNAME's Chaos.

As soon as she fell, they turned and took down Valygar in another few rounds, then Anomen, despite him managing to blind half of them with his last holy smite. A heavily injured Jan managed to take one down with his wand of fire just before dying himself, before Jaheira managed to survive long enough tanking three at once for CHARNAME to finish putting up fresh stoneskins, mirror images and fire shield before taking down all three trolls at once like a sexy elven god of war.

Annoying, but not the end of the world. Naturally Jaheira doesn't have harper's call memorised, but it's pretty late, so after picking off the last troll in the troll den, the pair head outside to take a nap, dropping some snares just in case of an ambush before resting...

Romance event. Jaheira caught by five bandits, and CHARNAME didn't have any stone skins left active after all that troll slaying, so instant 50% damage and everyone is clustered in the cramped quarters of the opening of the troll den.

Three perfectly aimed skull traps and some melee later, and a heavily wounded CHARNAME and Jaheira emerge victorious! Phew! That was tough, but now we can finally raise-

And then Meronia shows up.

"Hey, Jaheira! Come to a Harper meeting!"
"Okay! It's not like I had anything else to do today! Teehee!"

So now CHARNAME has been left completely alone in the middle of a hostile area, has used a bunch of his best damage spells for the day, and is surrounded by mounds of loot for his party that he can't possibly carry.

CHARNAME is... going to be romancing Aerie this run.

So what are some nightmare situations you've had in the past?
MetallomanKilivitzronaldomashedtaterssarevok57MiridorlolienGoturalJuliusBorisovBelgarathMTH[Deleted User]SpaceInvaderDexterKrotosgorgonzolaGreenWarlockabacusDJKajuru

Comments

• mashedtatersmashedtaters Member Posts: 2,266
    Awesome story. Sounds like Jaheira is either testing your commitment to her or doesn't give a rat's end about Charname. You may have to break it to her that she's going to have to break her standards and resurrect Khalid if she ever wants lovin' again.
    PantalionlolienJuliusBorisovKrotos
  • moody_magemoody_mage Member Posts: 2,054
    My favourite troll solution is to dash around the area to group them all up and then Death Spell the lot of them.
    lunar
  • gorgonzolagorgonzola Member Posts: 3,864
    I already told of my personal bad day in an other discussion, and it was a lot faster.
    High level Sorcerer soloing, invisible with PI active, PI incapacitated by a low level enemy and an other that see through invisibility ignored the PI and started to erode sorc's stoneskin. Game over...
    Really fast but unexpected, at that level the sorcerer was saving almost always against the spell that stunned the PI and even if I did know that there were enemies who could see my invisible charname I was sure to win the battle in no time with IA from the clone, that could also dispell himself in no time if the original was in peril.

@Pantalion, what a bad day!

Adventuring groups from the Tactics mod, they can spawn up to 3 times in a night if you time the things well, my nights in Athkatla are almost spent in hunting them, taking them with different tactics, lot of fun, potions, dispelling arrows, money and xp. They can't see invisibility so a thief can scout for them and you have always the first move advantage, only entering a certain area they spawn as you enter, and there an invisibility 10 radius or the potions you loot from them works wanders. But the high level group can be very hard the first times you met them, Weimer love to code cheating enemies but is also very good in scripting fair tactics like the one they use. They are a lesson in how to use effectively their classes. Imo is one of Tactics components worth to be installed also if less cheesy mods are used to improve difficulty.

I think that some of the nasty things reported in this discussion could have been avoided if a scouting thief would be used. Some people think that this is boring and relying on metagame knowledge is quicker and enough, I love to play thieves at their full potential and many times it was well worth, as some spawns are triggered by the presence of one of the NPCs, even if invisible or not charname. Also the vampires in the streets are a lot easier if you scout. Spot the enemy unseen, set the traps, buff the party and half battle is won before you even begin it, on top you have the first move....

Also carry some invisibility potions pay, what happened in the Troll Mound could be completely avoided, as the battle become almost lost gulping them and retreating invisible would have avoided all the problems, all the following happenings would not been such a problem, only a minor inconvenience like have to return to town half way trough a quest or completing it without Jaheira.

In all the bad luck happenings in this discussion I see player's errors, including mine obviously.
    Bad luck can happen, but imo if you help her get worst, if you are prepared often is not a big problem.

PantalionJuliusBorisov