Skip to content

should we keep the old 'roll your stats' feature?

2»

Comments

• CommunardCommunard Member Posts: 556
    I hate rolling for stats in tabletop games because I've seen it lead to far too many situations where one party member outshines all the others, or someone had to ditch a character concept because they rolled too low. That's why whenever I DM I use a point buy system. However, I actually like the stat rolling in BG. Why? It's a single-player game, Jahiera's not going to mind if you outclass her in every way, she's a collection of scripts. You'll never have to abandon a character concept because you can just roll until it works. The way it is now allows some people to play with gimped characters or take their chances with Lady Tymora, and also allows the people who obsess over rolling to create titans.
  • reedmilfamreedmilfam Member Posts: 2,808
    I love how you can store ONE set. So you get one you really really like, but then you have to roll again. After the rolling, there will be cake. So, there is more rolling. And the score is an eensy bit better, but the exceptional strength isn't as high (FTR type). What to do?

Roll again, of course. After storing that good one in the hold. Only the previous good roll is now gone. Forever.

Until you get the uber smart, fast, healthy and strong god-like warrior! Then, you break into song.

This is a triumph. I'm making a note here, HUGE SUCCESS.

Wrong genre.
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    "Oh, look. It's the bhaalspawn. Who would have thought the child of the god of murder would be so fat? I'm not saying you're fat. I'm just saying, as bhaalspawn go, you could probably stand to lose a few hundred pounds."
  • kilroy_was_herekilroy_was_here Member Posts: 455
    @reedmilfam The funniest thing about the 'store roll' function is that unless you have a good memory or are writing things down it makes you paranoid:

You: 'Hey, this is a pretty good roll. But is it as good as that roll I stored 10 minutes ago? Shoot, this one has a 18/82 STR... was the other one that good? GAAH... can't... remember!' *checks the stored roll* 'Nooo... the one I just had was better!!!'

Sarevok/Irenicus: 'hehehe... they'll never catch me now! Mwa-ha-ha!!' *twirls villainous mustache*
  • AdulAdul Member Posts: 2,002
    Back in the day I used to spend hours into the night rolling stats and then I'd pass out on the couch and later get up still before sunrise and continue rolling.

Now that's a feature which is definitely a keeper.
  • StradlinStradlin Member Posts: 142
    edited September 2012
    Cheating? Pft, you are a child of a GOD. Every time a godchild is born fate rolls a dice. Should the result fail to please fate, fate rolls dice again. And again, and again and again and.. ahh shit why did i reroll there DOHDOHDOH
    ..and again
    and again..

Seriosly, it is part of the game to me, I mind it not.
  • reedmilfamreedmilfam Member Posts: 2,808
    @kilroy_was_here I've done that, too. Then you roll LONGER in the hopes of matching 'the one that got away'...

We'll just keep on rolling 'till we run out of cake...
  • RexfaroensisRexfaroensis Member Posts: 134
    Keeping it makes everyone happy. Those, who don't want to roll more than once: don't roll more than once. Those who do: do. Simple!

What would there be for me to get angry aout, if I didn't have the opportunity to make a shitty roll?
  • CaptRoryCaptRory Member Posts: 1,660
    I don't think anyone has said get rid of the original rolling mechanic. Just that options would be nice.
  • VampQueen31VampQueen31 Member Posts: 60
    Rolling is awesome, but in general Im against removing features present in the original game. Adding and Upgrading features is great, and fine but dont neuter the original features arbitrarily. The game is hardcore enough without removing rolling and such.
  • SchneidendSchneidend Member Posts: 3,190
    I'd prefer a point-buy system, myself, but that's delving into unnecessary changes.
  • RajickRajick Member Posts: 207
    Honestly I don't care I just want the game already
  • RiolathelRiolathel Member Posts: 330
    edited December 2012

this feature is the one thing I didn't like about BG. Rerolling stats either make me feel like I'm cheating, or that I'm really gimped.

roll once and stick with it.. if you feel gimped then switch around a few points but stick with the initial roll.

No need to throw out one of the biggest parts of DnD

Just realized i necro'd.. whoops :(
  • CoM_SolaufeinCoM_Solaufein Member Posts: 2,607
    Play the game the way you want. Don't want to reroll? Well don't do it, keep the stats.
  • Oxford_GuyOxford_Guy Member Posts: 3,729
    I just set myself a strict limit - 10 rolls for easy to roll classes, 20 for the harder ones