Skip to content

White Screen on Launch - Windows 10

KeovarKeovar Member Posts: 7
I have the 'white screen on launch' issue with BGEE (haven't tried BG2EE or IWDEE yet, but if the first one is screwed up, that kills the other two for me as well).
I got them on Steam, and have Windows 10.
My display adapter in Device Manager says it's an ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4870, but all of the 'white screen' fixes I have seen are for NVidia.
I've tried the 'windowed mode' workaround - No change.
I have tried running as admin - No change.
I would try changing the compatibility properties, but the suggested changes don't appear as indicated.

Maybe the issue is Windows 10, but unfortunately I'm past the rollback period and will have to format & reinstall everything to see if this works in Win7, and it may just be easier to get Steam to refund them if there isn't a real fix.

Comments

• Gate70Gate70 Member, Developer Posts: 3,870
    Hi @keovar
    Check your graphics driver is up to date (something like AMD Radeon Software Crimson Edition Display Driver version 15.30.1025.1001?), and with the game closed try removing the baldur.ini from your documents/baldur's gate II - Enhanced Edition folder. Then start the game up again, it should create a new ini file.

If this doesn't work, please advise if you have any mods installed.
    Thanks
  • MusignyMusigny Member Posts: 1,027
    @Gate70
    I am not sure that this amd gpu is supported on Windows 10 - In fact not sure it was supported on Win 8.1.
    Almost sure that the "crimson" drivers from AMD cannot support it.
    http://support.amd.com/en-us/kb-articles/Pages/Driver-Support-for-AMD-Radeon™-HD-4000,-HD-3000,-HD-2000-and-older-Series.aspx
    It looks like the only option is to rely on what Microsoft provides through the Windows Update.

Microsoft insists on getting Win 10 installed everywhere. For instance, I have a notebook with a not-so-old-but-unsupported Intel chip and Microsoft gladly says my hardware is supported whereas Intel publishes the opposite statement...
    Gate70
    Thanks Musigny. I had checked http://support.amd.com/en-us/download/desktop?os=Windows+10+-+32 but not then realised that only the five devices mentioned below it were likely to use it.
  • KeovarKeovar Member Posts: 7
    I had already tried running the AMD Crimson etc. update and it said the driver wasn't compatible with my system.
  • KeovarKeovar Member Posts: 7
    It’s been a while, so has there been some kind of fix in the last couple of years? Sorry if this is stated somewhere else, but if there’s a search field on this forum I’m too blind to see it (which is entirely possible).
    edited April 2018
    Hello @Keovar
    Version 2.5 beta is available on Steam for BG:EE, BGII:EE and IWD:EE. Details here about how to opt-in to the beta from purchased games by store.

If your graphics device is unsupported by Windows there isn't much that can be done. Amending the configuration file (baldur.lua) to use the alternate renderer (DirectX instead of OpenGL) may get the game working although there may be other issues (e.g. around frame rate, movies stuttering, etc.). Obviously if you refunded the game you may not want to repurchase only to find there is no improvement for you.
    JuliusBorisov