Skip to content

Where can I find detailed info on familiars?

And do familiars change in BGIIEE?

I'm thinking about a solo run, and trying to figure out which familiar I want to go for.

Thank you so much, in advance.

Comments

• KloroxKlorox Member Posts: 894
    One form I saw said cats (CN) get 99 stealth and the pickpocket skill, but no info on how good the pick pocket ability is

Another said ferrets get find traps, but can they remove traps?

Ferrets aren't listed as having open locks, but I was able to open the lock in the opening store with one.
  • TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,264
    I will look into copying the info from NI some time (maybe, it would be a lot of work). Right now I am a bit tired.

In the mean time I would suggest that the familiar choice has a very minimal impact on most runs as pretty much all of them are too weak to survive most encounters and are minimally useful at best in most cases. Perhaps the most useful familiars are the ones that do things to help outside of combat (such as the fairy dragon's eventual ability to cast Invisibility 10' Radius, the cat's high stealth skill, or the ferret's high pick pockets skill). Possibly the one and only familiar that is kinda sorta somewhat maybe but probably not ok-ish in combat is the imp, and that is only because it can cast polymorph self which gives it more useful forms. The main drawback of the imp is that it provides less bonus HP than the rest of the familiars.
    Oh, I'm not interested in the combat ability of a familiar.

I'm considering a solo run of a FMC and using the familiar to occasionally help with some thief skills.
    Which, I guess really boils down to: do I want a scout (CN) or a pick pocket (LN)?
  • DevardKrownDevardKrown Member Posts: 421
    @Klorox
    Please don't Forget you can cast Invisibility at mage Level 3 ! (given a FMC will need a bit of time to get there) making every Familiar a Scout.

My Favorite is the Imp ... Mustard Jelly and he will soak up all those nasty Mage spells they throw your way.