Skip to content

What to overhaul first: PST or IWD?

Comments

• bob_vengbob_veng Member Posts: 2,308
    crawlkill said:

I don't think it's on the table, even, but Torment is the game people most need to be reminded of. I never played IWD1--is it the same as IWD2, good dialogue but mostly linear, fully-created party instead of joinable NPCs? That's a little weak; these games...

don't do the "these games" fallacy because all the different IE games are indeed - different.

PS:T 80% focus on story; combat neglected and insignificant (and super easy)
    IWD1 95% focus on combat; story and depth comparable to any average hack&slash game
    IWD2 90% focus on combat; completely linear albeit a bit more adventuresque aspects
    BG1 40% combat / 40% story / 20% problem-solving (adventuring, exploring, inventory managing etc)
    BG2 55% combat / 35% story / 10% -||-
    TOB 80% combat / 20% story (not a huge fan)

• valkyvalky Member Posts: 386
    PS:T ! While it still (might?) work with some modification of the game and whatever else, the interface gives me the shiver. But IMO it was (&still is) the most awesome rpg of this kind, the black humor and all this kinky & fancy stuff you experienced made me always smile (Hey morte, wanna have new teeth? - sure boss!)

IWD1/2 can still be played and is more or less 'fine' with either the basic resolution (the one you can unlock anyway) or with the widescreen-mod. Played IWD2 last time maybe 1 year ago...and I could stand the 'outdated' gfx and there is still one playthrough to go, as I want to experience at least one HoF with an extreme PP-party of 4; else I used 5 or my very first run with 6 NPC (oooh, did I got wrecked after revisiting Targos DOcks the very first time^^)
  • kansasbarbariankansasbarbarian Member Posts: 206
    PST the best game ever. BG a close second.
  • crawlkillcrawlkill Member Posts: 71
    bob_veng said:

crawlkill said:

I don't think it's on the table, even, but Torment is the game people most need to be reminded of. I never played IWD1--is it the same as IWD2, good dialogue but mostly linear, fully-created party instead of joinable NPCs? That's a little weak; these games...

don't do the "these games" fallacy because all the different IE games are indeed - different.

PS:T 80% focus on story; combat neglected and insignificant (and super easy)
    IWD1 95% focus on combat; story and depth comparable to any average hack&slash game
    IWD2 90% focus on combat; completely linear albeit a bit more adventuresque aspects
    BG1 40% combat / 40% story / 20% problem-solving (adventuring, exploring, inventory managing etc)
    BG2 55% combat / 35% story / 10% -||-
    TOB 80% combat / 20% story (not a huge fan)

But that's what I'm talking about. I don't think a remade IWD could sell itself these days. Infinity Engine gameplay without the kind of investment in your party that having meaningful decisions to make and NPCs to adore probably can't sell itself these days. That's what I meant by 'these games:' games with IE gameplay.
  • xxxsmb1987xxxxxxsmb1987xxx Member Posts: 280
    Im hoping for a PST to be redone my TV doesnt like the original resolution and the widescreen mod crashes the hell out of it and then it wont let me past a certain point without crashing every single time so I would love a EE of Torment =)
    crawlkill said:

But that's what I'm talking about. I don't think a remade IWD could sell itself these days. Infinity Engine gameplay without the kind of investment in your party that having meaningful decisions to make and NPCs to adore probably can't sell itself these days. That's what I meant by 'these games:' games with IE gameplay.

just finished IWD1 a month ago after haven't played in a *very* long time. i thought it was super fun.
  • PencilPencil Member Posts: 16
    After seeing how BG:EE has turned out, I think I'd rather they left the rest alone.
  • ElectricMonkElectricMonk Member Posts: 599
    Note: For those of you that love IWD just as it is and would hate to see joinable NPC's and a distinct main character, feel free to disregard this post.

I think that PS:T should be enhanced next because I believe it needs less. Many may disagree, but I think that for IWD to be truly enhanced it would need to have a main player distinction as well as joinable NPCs, which I think would be more easily done after having established the team with the BG:EE's and PST:EE.
    there's really no room in the plots of icewind dales for a main character. joinable NPC's could work, but i doubt they will add them in because it would be a pretty radical change.
    PS:T needs tons more work because combat is so lacking compared to the other games (it's unnecessary simplified and featureless) and it could be dramatically improved (but with tons of work) without fundamentally changing the game which appears to be inside the scope of this overhaul project.
  • IntoTheDarknessIntoTheDarkness Member Posts: 118
    Voice every line of PS:T and revamp the graphics & overhaul the combat. I know, but one can dream, right?
  • darthchairdarthchair Member Posts: 191
    I see it now...PLANESCAPE: TORMENT ENHANCED EDITION...NOW WITH VIRTUALLY EVERY LINE VOICED BY NOLAN NORTH!
  • joshykinsjoshykins Member Posts: 95
    Torment would be amazing, however I belive Hasbro has the rights and they arn't cheap.
  • Corvus_MetusCorvus_Metus Member Posts: 19
    I'm going to say Icewind Dale, unless Overhaul involved Chris Avellone or other people that actually worked on the game - while I think BGEE is great, I'm not sure I could really get behind a P:T EE.
  • Metal_HurlantMetal_Hurlant Member Posts: 324
    I didn't vote because I'm actually scared what Beamdog would do to the other IE games after this debacle with BG1.
  • Arsene_LupinArsene_Lupin Member Posts: 181
    Neither. Let Beamdog finish BG2. That's all well and dandy. Then let them focus on producing NEW Infinity Engine games.

Otherwise they'll be pumping out ports until 2040.
  • CluasCluas Member Posts: 355
    I don't care, as long as we will see IWD:EE at some point. They are both good games

BTW: I already love IWD the way it is. With a simple thing like mouse-scroll zoom i would be in heaven :D
  • MordeusMordeus Member Posts: 460
    I really don't like IWD but I think I'd be alright if they just brought over some of the UI enhancements to the series. But IWD is at the bottom of my list when it comes to adding new quests or content. There's just too much work to be done to make any quests that exist outside of the game's linear structure seem consistent. I much rather the focus be on additional DLC for BG and BG2.

So I voted PST because it isn't IWD and that it fits in with what they are accomplishing with BG:EE slightly better. But I'd rather skip the two and expand the Baldur's Gate universe even more. I think the worst case scenario is the developers spreading themselves too thin.
  • Vejita00Vejita00 Member Posts: 2
    Neither. After seeing how they handled this one. I think they should stay far away from overhauling anything.
  • DeucetipherDeucetipher Member Posts: 521
    I actually hit the wrong button, meant to hit IWD. I just feel that PST holds up better, despite its age, and it doesn't really need a redo. Assuming you can get it to run, that is. I think an EE would do more good for IWD than PST, despite PST being a better game.
  • MalbortusMalbortus Member Posts: 106
    Friendship, camaraderie, and steel on steel!

IWD lends itself better to multiplaying, and PS:T is too dark to my taste.
  • DinsdalePiranhaDinsdalePiranha Member Posts: 419
    PST. I love IWD with all my heart, but it doesn't need an enhanced rerelease, it's awesome the way it is.
  • smeagolheartsmeagolheart Member Posts: 7,963
    I'd like a IWD EE. I'd like a more explorable wordmap with some side areas (side town). If the game was less linear it would be a greater game instead of a good game.

Seriously, update the UI, add kits, add sidequests for a more open world and add joinable NPCs and it'd be so much better.
  • SilverstarSilverstar Member Posts: 2,207
    ID imo. I like both Tormen and ID, but find the latter have more replayability due to having more characters to mess around with. Be nice if they added some written recruitable NPCs though.
  • Dark_NeuronDark_Neuron Member Posts: 58
    Do Icewind dale first. I don't want them touching PST until they have a ton of experience overhauling. ;)
    PST is a gem that must not be smudged.
  • lain2501lain2501 Member Posts: 12
    Not that I don't like PST but I would prefer to have IWD series first with an IWD 3 :) then go for PST :)
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • DazzuDazzu Member Posts: 950
    As long as there's no more hard coding...
  • LeronisLeronis Member Posts: 112
    Not much interest here in IWD.

Torment usually makes the cut in the "Best RPGs of all Time!" articles. Memorable rich story.
  • JustariusJustarius Member Posts: 43
    edited December 2012
    Anton said:

What game of these 2 you would like Beamdog to overhaul first after BG series?

Sure, there are lots of great games that we would want to see overhauled besides these two (I want HMM3, Arcanum and Fallout) but devs mentioned games in the Poll quite often so chances are they will be the next. But who should be first?
    Let's help @TrentOster & @CameronTofer to find out!

P.S. What exactly people want to see overhauled in these games: What would you like in IWDEE and PTEE?
    P.P.S. I know there is already Which D&D game do you want remastered next after the Baldur's Gate series?

I'd like to see PST updated to modern PC's & tablets. The story is good enough to play again. They can enhance IWD up the whazoo and I doubt I'd touch it.

Have they confirmed that they even [i]can[/i] enhance PST or IWD? It's possibly all moot. Besides, BG2EE is likely to be a year out, then they want to do BG3 whatever that is. Ask the question again in three years or so :p
  • MadhaxMadhax Member Posts: 1,416
    I prefer PS:T to IWD, but I don't need to see it enhanced. Adding content just wouldn't work, and the combat is so insignificant to the progression through the game that overhauling the system wouldn't be enough for me to spend more money on it. I own the original discs of PS:T, and they work on my computer, so I have no desire to drop twenty bucks on PS:T:EE.

IWD has plenty of room for expanded content, with new areas and bigger challenges. As it's a combat game, Beamdog can focus entirely on adding more interesting and challenging fights without worrying about hurting the central story.