Skip to content

Undisarmable trap in the Kresselack's Tomb causes the Unconcious effect that doesn't end with a hit

JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,723
There's an Undisarmable trap in the Kresselack's Tomb, at the first level.

It can't be detected even with 105 in Disarm traps.

Although some walkthroughs mention this trap should be undisarmable (for example, http://guidesarchive.ign.com/guides/13559/kresselack1.html) - it's strange, at least, that the trap is not detected at all. If you consider this trap shouldn't be disarmable, make it detectable at least.

The second problem with this trap is that it makes characters unconscious, but when summoned skeletons from the trap attack and automatically hit your unconscious characters, the characters don't wake up, although they should - at least, the description (and the actual behaviour) of the party's Sleep spell is that when an unconscious enemy is hit, he awakens immediately. But the unconscious effect from this trap acts differently.

My character was killed without awakening, and blows didn't come simultaneosly, they happened in different rounds.

Version: IWDEE 1.4, Windows, no mods.

Current behavior:
1. The trap is undetectable and undisarmable.
2. The unconscious effect from the trap doesn't end when an unconscious character is hit.

Expected behavior:
1. The trap is detectable and disarmable, or at least, detectable.
2. The unconscious effect from the trap ends when an unconscious character is hit.

The save is attached.

Comments

• argent77argent77 Member Posts: 3,433
    The spell is most likely working as intended. Opening the lid of the sarcophagus triggers a trap (made undetectable via flags) with an AoE Color Spray effect. Quote from Color Spray description:

The spell's effects depend on the caster—creatures with Hit Dice/levels fewer than or equal to the caster are knocked unconscious (do not awaken when struck) for 5 rounds, those with Hit Dice/levels one or two greater than the wizard are blinded for 3 rounds, and any other creatures are stunned for 1 round.

The actual location of the trap is unusual and can't even be disarmed when setting the appropriate flag. It's pretty much the same behavior as in the original IWD.
  • MathsorcererMathsorcerer Member Posts: 3,037
    This topic has come up before and @argent77 is correct--it worked that way in the original version, as well. The lid to the sarcophagus acts like a door but it isn't locked, cannot be "located", and its script applies Color Spray on any PC clicking on it to open it. I'll have to search for the previous thread later because I don't have time to do so right now. Anyway, my suggested fix for it was to correct AR3501Door7Trap to act like a locked and trapped door with the container beneath it.