Skip to content

I've fallen in love with 3rd Edition Dungeons and Dragons

StormvesselStormvessel Member Posts: 654
edited February 2016 in Off-Topic
D&D 3E is so incredibly awesome. All I ever knew before it was AD&D. My D&D group = AD&D, the infinity games = AD&D. I HATED 3E even though I never really experienced it proper. Anyway, I purchased Neverwinter Nights 2 about a year ago for the BG remake mod and never got around to playing it. Well over the last month I've jumped into it and all the expansions. SO much more build diversity and freedom and creativity. The ability scores make a ton more sense, feats, multiclassing - everything makes more sense.

I am about to order a player's handbook from amazon and hopefully find a group using 3E...or if nothing else find one on Roll20 or fantasy grounds.

Granted, I love BG and could't dream of it being any other way. But in the future I will never use AD&D again if I am given the choice. In fact, I literally have no earthly idea why so many people prefer 2E over 3E. Do they like being restricted in what they can create? In my humble opinion 3E blows AD&D out of the water with ease. I will know for sure after I spend more time with it so maybe the excitement will wear off once I'm in a group and playing but I don't think so.

/excited rant
SkatanBelgarathMTHVallmyr

Comments

• OsigoldOsigold Member Posts: 117
    If you enjoy 3rd Edition, then I would strongly recommend that you check out Pathfinder; It's like the ultimate culmination of 3rd Ed, building on its strengths and coverings its weaknesses expertly and intelligently. Paizo, the company who make Pathfinder, also support the game extremely well with a compelling setting and lots of highly entertaining "Adventure Paths" that can take a group of characters from low levels all the way to endgame. Pathfinder uses 3rd Edition as the core of its rules system under the pseudo open source thing that Wizards did for 3rd Edition, and they build it up with more options and smart fixes for some of 3rd Edition's flaws. Check it out!

Pathfinder and 2nd Edition AD&D are my two favourite variants of Dungeons and Dragons.
    Stormvesseldok0zhivago
  • sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    actually if you are really bent on 3rd edition, go with 3.5, neverwinter nights 2 uses 3.5 rules, and 3.5 is exactly like 3rd edition just cleaned up better and it gives more info and such
    Stormvessel
  • StormvesselStormvessel Member Posts: 654
    Thank you guys for the recommendations.

I decided to go with Pathfinder. For one thing, I think it's easier to get a group going. What I went ahead and did was I purchased from the humble bundle a few core books in PDF format. I am going to get a Pathfinder group going on Roll20. If anyone has a group and needs another PC or wants to start a group let me know.

Here is the humble bundle I purchased - good through March 9...

https://www.humblebundle.com/books/paizo-pathfinder-bundle?utm_source=Social&utm_medium=Link&utm_campaign=Humble_RPG_Book_Bundle_Paizo_Pathfinder

-Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Core Rulebook

- Pathfinder Roleplaying Game GameMastery Guide

-Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Digital Beginner Box

-Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Player Character Folio

-Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Advanced Class Guide

-Pathfinder Roleplaying Game GM Screen

-Pathfinder Adventure Path: In Hell's Bright Shadow (Hell’s Rebels 1 of 6)

I'll purchase a physical copy of the core rulebook if I can find a group somewhere.

In any case, Pathfinder it is.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    I really recommend to check the 5E.
  • OsigoldOsigold Member Posts: 117
    Congrats man, that sounds awesome. I hope you have a lot of fun with it.
    Stormvessel
  • the_spyderthe_spyder Member Posts: 5,018
    Congrats and that is truly awesome that you have found yourself so enamored of 3E. There's a lot of good gaming ahead of yourself if you delve into the NWN2 modding community and even some truly revolutionary Persistent worlds out there to play.

The ability scores make a ton more sense, feats, multiclassing - everything makes more sense.

For me personally, I feel just the exact opposite to these two point. But different strokes for different folks. That is why I love this community, so many different points of view and ways of looking at things.
    Stormvessel
  • VallmyrVallmyr Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 2,457
    edited February 2016
    Pathfinder is the best! My favorite <3
    The customability is the best. You can make Gunslinging Paladin (Holy Gun Archetype), a Necromantic Bard (Dirge Bard Archetype), or like a crazy cool multiclass like a Bard/Antipaladin that can fear everything.

NWN2 is my favorite CRPG due to the story, characters, and most certainly the 3.5e ruleset.

Edit: I like AD&D stat minimums for classes and its kits. Cool enough Pathfinder stole the kit idea with its Archetype system. Also 5e has stat minimum requirements for multiclassing which is also neat.
    Stormvessel