Skip to content

Durlag's Tower. Was it always this tough? (PROBABLY SPOILERS)

LateralusLateralus Member Posts: 903
Got a Cavalier with the main story line party, running a no re-load since level one and nobody has come close to death until I entered level 2 of the Durlag's Dungeon! VERY close calls but still no fatalities. It's been a long time and I'm finding myself surprised by the tricks and traps. Every bodies got about 100k xp and most of the best stuff in the game. I just got one item in particular which compliments my Cavs morale and fear immunity nicely, a very good 'OMG" item with 6 charges. Still I'm trying to come up with better strategies without you know being told what to expect every step of the way, suggestions are appreciated. Like which spells to memorize, which potions should I make sure everybody in the party has on their possession to bail themselves out. Not sure if level 2 is the trickiest but man those monsters are TOUGH. Great challenges!

EDIT: level two was the most challenging. the rest of the dungeon wasn't as tough, not even the final fight.
Post edited by Lateralus on

Comments

• GrumGrum Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 2,100
    Just remember to turn AI off when it is needed, as being drawn out of position can lead to a very easy and avoidable TPK.

Also if you are worried, try to get everyone a pot of invisibility. For no reload runs, they save you from death.

On the last level have a way to avoid being held by ghouls.
    LateralusCaptRoryJuliusBorisovEadwyn_G8keeper
  • LateralusLateralus Member Posts: 903
    Tresset said:

Oh, don't worry, It gets much harder.

You should recharge that "'OMG' item" when it runs low on charges. It can be used as much as you want that way.

Oh REALLY?! I did not think of that, does it still have a 6 charge cap after re-purchasing it?
  • LateralusLateralus Member Posts: 903

I mostly remember level 2 sending me mad with levers, although the last couple of fights were quite crunchy - benefitting from being able to control when you start them (buff, buff, buff!)

I think that level 3 had the toughest fights for me, although usually I am sailing at a high enough level by then to just (barely) steam through. It definitely pays to take hints before tackling 4 specific foes though, as the level can get out of control if you don't know the right means for the ends...

I will note that the 4 wardens on the level above though were my bane for the longest time. Once I was able to best them routinely, I had already picked up the skills needed for (most of) the combat on the lower levels.

As for your level, 100k xp going in sounds about right, I think I typically have about 20k more than that, but I am a completionist, and the xp is usually coming thick and fast by that point.

I did one other quest in Ulgoth's and explored every other map thoroughly except for Rassad's which is still bugged. Barely touched on the main city. Another mage level for Imoen and Dyniheir would help but it shouldn't matter that much if I do things right.

After sleeping on it I think I have a way to make this go a lot smoother.

The first step is cast invisibility on Imoen, have her scout ahead and remove all the traps she can get too. Then I'll use Scrolls/Potions of Magic Protection on the Cavalier. Drinking 2 of the potions provides 100%MR for 2 hours. 1 scroll also provides 2 hours of maximum magic protection. There are precious few of these items so I'll want to take full advantage of those 2 hour windows. It's also a huge help having free action, speed, and strength boosts. After the delicate work is done he can move in and tank like a boss, the rest of the gang can catch up and rain hell upon foes with magic and arrows. Detect Illusion, Slow, Magic Missile, Entangle, Grease, Web, and Greater Malison spells should all really help to change the landscape of the battle field if things go insane again. With my Cavalier using his OMG item or invisibility potions when physical damage starts to overwhelm him.
  • HeindrichHeindrich Member, Moderator Posts: 2,959
    I find a lot of encounters in BG are a lot easier if you can prepare in some way. As somebody who hasn't quite played enough to memorize all encounters, this means that I make extensive use of scouting to try to spot enemies and disarm traps before they blow up in my face, especially in dangerous environments like Durlag's Tower, where being cautious makes sense for both gaming and roleplay reasons.

It sounds like you are doing this with Imoen too :smile: Honestly I think it's the most enjoyable way to play as well... I'm sure if there were a pill that the hardcore vets can take to wipe their memory of previous encounters, they would take it :smiley:

GreenWarlockBelgarathMTHJuliusBorisov