Skip to content

Suggest me a protagonist, please

MoonheartMoonheart Member Posts: 520
I must admit, I'm always very instable when starting over a "new" RPG. And even if BG2 isn't new to me, it makes so long that I'm going over the same problem as always: I have an hard time finding a character that motivate me enough to go to the end before finding another one I wish to test.

So... I'm at my 8th start over, and I'm growing tired to do the chapter I know by heart. Still, I don't want to cheat and modify a more advanced character so... I need to find a good idea, and I thought "why don't ask other if they have some ideas?"

On thing I'd like to do is to romance all 5 romanceable female characters of the game, and attempt then to put them all in the same party after that, to see what is going to happen (curiosity... my worst weakness).
Note that I tested it and you can actualy romance more than one character if you only recruit the next romanceable character only once you completed the previous romance and remove it from the party... I'm aware it is going to take me forever to trigger all the scenes, however, but I'm ready for that, just for the sake of the final lolz.

The strong probablity is that Aerie dump the party, leaving me with the 2 neutral, 2 evil romance:
- Jaheira
- Viconia
- Neera
- Hexxat
... I'll still have a cleric, a mage, a thief, so everything is alright... if the game currently do not give me a bad surprise about those 4 co-habitating together, which would be a pleasant surprise in fact if it happens, because I'll have seen something unique, even if it'll surely screw my plans.

Note that before I'll reach my full party, I'll only be with one at a time and my protagonist will need to supply to most needs of the party by himself: In the most part of the game, my party will be a duo.

Now, I would like to avoid those things on my protagonist:
- Spell preparation: either it should be a non-caster, or a sorcerer/DD, or something that will never requiers me to adjust the spellbook outside the level-up process
- Dual classing: This mechanic is borish, illogic, painful, long and doesn't make sense at all. It's gotta need an excellent reason for me to use it
- Too much buffing: Long preparations before battles bore me. I'd rather attack on sight and manage from there

Any ideas?

Comments

• JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,724
    I would like to suggest looking at https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/44531/the-class-to-play/p1 - even taking into account your peculiar demands listed in the OP, the information and advice provided in that thread can help when deciding on the main character.

With what you have listed in the OP, I would go with a berserker.
  • KilivitzKilivitz Member Posts: 1,459
    There's something else: Hexxat will only romance female characters. Dorn will romance males, though, so I suppose you could play a Thief-type and take him instead of Hexxat.

That way you'd also avoid spell preparing, dual-classing, etc.
  • MivsanMivsan Member Posts: 139
    edited February 2016
    After reading your requirements, maybe a Fighter/Thief multiclass would suit your needs? Versatile, can do many things, but also straightforward. No extensive buffing, spell management etc., but also difficult to get bored with.

If you're feeling lazy, you can just left click and watch you character fight in any way/style you want.
    If you're feeling more fancy, you can potentially backstab, set traps, and ultimately, with Use Any Item, even use scrolls, all wands and unique items for different effects/combos, all the while having the convenience of constant access to Detect Traps and Open Locks, independent of other party members.
  • MoonheartMoonheart Member Posts: 520
    edited February 2016
    Thanks for the first inputs. :)
    I didn't know for Hexxat, so it changes things a little bit. I'll need to have thief skills, or at least knock on my protagonist since I won't have a thief with me, even by the end.

Now for the proposals:
    - Berzerker: I see the point due to all the immunities, but how this character is going to handle locks and traps now Hexxat is out?
    - Fighter/Thief: the reverse way, I see how it deals with locks and traps, but not how to handle ennemy crowd controls

• PteranPteran Member Posts: 388
    edited February 2016
    Get the best of both worlds and go Berserker/Thief, either multi (EEKeeper the kit) or dual. Played it before and it's a blast.

If you're worried about the down-time with the dual, you can do it almost immediately at level 9. You'll hit level 10 as a thief in no time flat and regain your fighter abilities.

I'd like to add that you don't have to go with a weapon useable by a thief (the only way to get backstabs). Backstabbing is nice, but it isn't the only way to play. Thief classes just have so much utility it's ridiculous.
    I play on Android, so no EEkeeper for me. And anyway, I'm not realy sure to want to cheat my first complete playthrough
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,724
    edited February 2016
    Moonheart said:

- Berzerker: I see the point due to all the immunities, but how this character is going to handle locks and traps now Hexxat is out?

You can do fine without a thief. Use your mage's Knock spell or high STR of your character (you'll find ways to improve it) to bash locks, use cleric's Find Traps spell to find traps and either - don't activate them (there're nearly always ways NOT to trigger a trap by not touching it/not opening a container) or activate them with your party members, protected with buffs from divine and arcane magic (chaotic commands, death ward, resist fear, globe of invulnerability, spell deflection, or just divine buffs+Viconia's magic resistance), or maybe the enraged Berzerker himself.
  • T2avT2av Member Posts: 202
    Moonheart said:

I play on Android, so no EEkeeper for me. And anyway, I'm not realy sure to want to cheat my first complete playthrough

Im on Android... You can use a hex editor to make a berserker/theif or any combo of multiclass you want. Its fairly simple and you only need to change 1 value.

Its not really cheating, its adding variety,and opens up alot of interesting RP, such as my favourite Cleric/Necromancer.
    edited February 2016
    bengoshi said:

You can do fine without a thief. Use your mage's Knock spell or high STR of your character (you'll find ways to improve it) to bash locks, use cleric's Find Traps spell to find traps and either - don't activate them (there're nearly always ways NOT to trigger a trap by not touching it/not opening a container) or activate them with your party members, protected with buffs from divine and arcane magic (chaotic commands, death ward, resist fear, globe of invulnerability, spell deflection, or just divine buffs+Viconia's magic resistance), or maybe the enraged Berzerker himself.

The problem is that the most of the game I won't have party members to do that. I have to supply for my own needs.
    T2av said:

Im on Android... You can use a hex editor to make a berserker/theif or any combo of multiclass you want. Its fairly simple and you only need to change 1 value.

Its not really cheating, its adding variety,and opens up alot of interesting RP, such as my favourite Cleric/Necromancer.

I don't fucking know how I can do that. Is there somewhere a guideline for creating a proper, let's say, fighter/sorceror?
    The fighter/mage is something that always had some appeal to me, and that I didn't play only because spell preparation annoys me a lot. If I could get the way sorceror use spell on that, I'll be rather happy and certainly more motivated
    Post edited by Moonheart on