Skip to content

Warcraft-The Beginning (2016)

Comments

• justfeelinathomejustfeelinathome Member Posts: 353
    I wholeheartedly agree with what Fardragon said. Also, getting to rank 20 in HS is really no big deal, if you've been with the game for a while. I just get whatever cosmetics I can, without spending extra money and don't care to much about the others.

That said, I'll definitely watch it.

And while I think that WoW being in decline will factor into the numbers this movie will make, I think that it will still earn big money. Why?

1) Name one other fantasy movie that comes out at that time. (...seriously, name one, I'm starving right here :wink:)
    2) The overall Player Base of Blizzard Games has increased. Hearthstone Players such as myself (potentially even Heroes of the Storm...) can be interested in the movie as well. The game is based on the lore, but doesn't offer to much of it by itself, with the movie painting hopefully a general picture of who-is-who.
    3) It's not all about how much money the movie makes and I think Blizzard knows that: There's promotions for WoW players and maybe even the sales of classic Blizzard Warcraft Titles increases. On the long run this project is sure to pay off (don't know how well for Legendary pictures, though...).

Also, they were smart enough to set european release dates early, so that it doesn't clash with the UEFA European Championship on June 10th. I have my ticket for the midnight premier on the 25th of May (23.59) already in my pocket and look forward to the day. :smile:

Well, actually I look forward to the 26th, because by then the advertisements rolled over. I think I might just write down a few of my thoughts (spoiler free) in this thread, once I've seen it, to warn US fans of their impending doom or give them reason to rejoice preemptively. :smiley:
  • ChnapyChnapy Member Posts: 360
    Well it's certainly something. Don't know if I'll see it though, I have a hard time being really exited about anything warcraft related nowadays.

Still, and since he seem to appear quite a bit, I wonder if they'll change Thrall's birth name. I might end up seeing it only to know how much they diverge from the game's lore
  • ShapiroKeatsDarkMageShapiroKeatsDarkMage Member Posts: 2,428
    I want this movie to be good and successful because i want a good movie with a D&D feel and Warcraft has alot of things in common with D&D, like paladins, Gnolls, Kobolds and stuff.
    Fardragon
    The time has nearly come...it'll be out tomorrow around here.

And I still dunno if I'm going to see it =D On the one hand I'm curious and all but too many poor film adapatations of video games have left me cautious...I just can't bring myself to believe it could be good.

And there's the fact that it's been so long since I've last played WoW. I haven't got a single friend who would both want and be able to go see it with me... And to me cinema is much better when playing multi.

Although I guess if there were other forumites living in Paris and in the same situation we could try to work something out =D
  • lansounetlansounet Member Posts: 1,182
    @Chnapy not in Paris but Bordeaux :< I'm gonna go watch it tomorrow for sure :p
    Chnapy said:

The time has nearly come...it'll be out tomorrow around here.

And I still dunno if I'm going to see it =D On the one hand I'm curious and all but too many poor film adapatations of video games have left me cautious...I just can't bring myself to believe it could be good.

And there's the fact that it's been so long since I've last played WoW. I haven't got a single friend who would both want and be able to go see it with me... And to me cinema is much better when playing multi.

Although I guess if there were other forumites living in Paris and in the same situation we could try to work something out =D

Its base on the first Warcraft game notte WoW
    lansounet
    I suggest to watch Nobbel's videos on WC lore. They are very good.
    Haha, I know it's not wow =D
    It's fine, I've read the IG books in WoW (and also played a War1-in-War3 campaign some time ago) so I'd say I'm good enough when it comes to knowing just enough lore to see they've changed everything =D

But to me it was always a whole, if I'm hyped about WoW I'm hyped about Warcraft as well. And I've got to say that these days, I am not.
    BelgarathMTH
  • BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653

I want this movie to be good and successful because i want a good movie with a D&D feel and Warcraft has alot of things in common with D&D, like paladins, Gnolls, Kobolds and stuff.

Don't forget murlocks, though, unique to WoW. Will there be murlocks in the movie?

Warrrrrgleblargblargblargrrl!
  • AchterkladAchterklad Member Posts: 114
    Orcs shouldn't be that huge.

Don't forget murlocks, though, unique to WoW. Will there be murlocks in the movie?

Yes, a murloc is confirmed.

So far, the movie has received mixed reviews. I get the impression that it has too many characters and plot lines for a 2 hour movie. But then again, one of the negative reviewers on Metacritic also gave Dragonball Evolution a 4/5. wut?

Yes, a murloc is confirmed.

So far, the movie has received mixed reviews. I get the impression that it has too many characters and plot lines for a 2 hour movie. But then again, one of the negative reviewers on Metacritic also gave Dragonball Evolution a 4/5. wut?
    Inside the spoiler tag bellow I listed my personal thoughts on the movie, for anyone who cares to read them. I put them inside the brackets because I'm uncertain what's considered spoilers these days. If this has spoilers, I feel certain that it does so in only a very minor way.

After seeing the movie, I felt it was a bit too straight-forward and too much focused on the action-sequences (quite spectacular, if a bit too Hollywood-ish for my personal taste, since I enjoy a more realistic, less flashy approach). And that was with my expectation of not getting much of a story. There were no twist and turns to the storyline that I couldn't see coming beforehand (as a non-WoW player, who has very little lore-knowledge).

Still, the movie offered great eye-candy, the music was rousing and suited the scenes, but was forgotten soon afterwards (unlike the composers GoT-theme, which stays stuck in your mind for ages). Also, there was something strange with the Sound, that, even though I watched the movie in ATMOS, didn't make me feel like an actual ATMOS experience (which I adore): The sound was too flat, too straight-forward and coming from the front (that may be a problem with the german version, since the mixing is always done last?). The Orc-character voices - take this with a HUGE grain of salt, I could only watch the german dub - were too booming and bass heavy for my taste, which made them sound sad and tired more than what was sometimes appropriate.

The movie wasn't bad, as in it didn't make me cringe (asides from an easter-egg, though I laughed at the same time), but it also didn't leave much of a lasting impression, since it lacked an overall coherence and something which it aimed to express, asides from humanity obviously being d*cks (that's ducks, in case you read it in any way that goes against forum rules) with orcs.

Also, I felt it was a shame that races other than humans and orcs had sooo little screen-time and while dwarfs looked really, really good (their physique was more fitting than the skinny dwarfs you saw in The Hobbit e. g.), elfs in my opinion looked like cosplayers going to a convention (I can see why they'd struggle with Warcraft-ears, as opposed to the standard, straight and smaller variant).

Because the movie was (and it feels like a harsh word to use, but I'll use it none the less) forgettable, I have a hard time writing up a full-fledged review containing all my thoughts and I'll leave it at that. That may also be influenced by the fact that I watched 24 other movies this past week (as part of a festival). There were some great, great movies among those, which may have lead to me dwarfing WARCRAFT a little more than necessary. This movies goal was solely entertainment, after all.

To summarize: Go into the movie expecting a fun time, but don't expect to have lore-implications that leave you pondering it for days and make you consider a re-watch.
    mlneveseSkatan
  • FardragonFardragon Member Posts: 4,511
    edited May 2016
    My thoughts, having just seen it, mild spoilers.

This is an enjoyable, but flawed film.

It's biggest weakness is it sticks too slavishly to the cartoonish designs of the game. Weapons and creatures may look "real" (apart from occasional ropey gfx, like the gryphon's feathers) but they don't look functional. This makes it hard to "believe" in the world the way you do in Fellowship of the Ring or Game of Thrones. The elves look especially rubbish!I would expect this to be an even bigger issue for people unfamiliar with the franchise. On the other hand, I'm sure hardcore Warcraft fans would have been up in arms had a more naturalistic approach been taken. I think I would have just made a completely animated movie.

Plotwise, it sticks closely to the original Warcraft RTS, as much as I remember, and characterisation is variable, Duratar being rather more interesting and developed than Lothar. The ending reminds me a bit of SoD, in that it seems more interested in setting up the sequel than tying up the story in a satisfactory way.

There are lots of nice nods that fans of the game will spot, such as the sheep.

Also creditworthy for being the first movie, so far as I know, for featuring a half orc in a staring role. This minority group has long been neglected. Although I am sure some will claim this is political correctness gone mad.

If you are a Warcraft fan this film is a "must see".

If you are a fantasy fan this is a good way to spend two hours leisure time.

If you are neither, I don't think you will enjoy this, but then I very much doubt you will be reading this forum anyway!
    Post edited by Fardragon on
    sparkleavjustfeelinathomeShapiroKeatsDarkMageSkatan
  • batoorbatoor Member Posts: 676
    edited May 2016
    I'm surprised they put so much emphasis on Fel magic as the source of corruption for the Orcs, rather than make it about the blood of Mannoroth as it was in the warcraft 3 game going way back. Granted I suspect WoW has gone through a lot of retcons since that time, but I don't see why they would change that aspect of the lore.

Overall though it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. I don't know why critics butchered it..
    edited May 2016
    #HalfOrcsneedsmorelove Half orcs needs more love.
    Fardragon
    ''surprised they put so much emphasis on Fel magic as the source of corruption for the Orcs, rather than make it about the blood of Mannoroth as it was in the warcraft 3 game going way back''

I'm surprised this didn't trigger some nerd rage yet.
  • FardragonFardragon Member Posts: 4,511
    Fel magic is simpler. There is enough stuff that could confuse people who aren't hardcore fans in this movie as it is.

It's actually very light on "info dump".
  • jjstraka34jjstraka34 Member Posts: 9,850
    The movie cleaned up so much overseas the Domestic tally (which is looking at about $27 million for the wknd) is hardly even going to matter. It's recouped it's rather high $160 million dollar budget just based on China and Europe. If it even ends up at $40-50 million here there will be another one.
  • the_spyderthe_spyder Member Posts: 5,018

I saw the movie last night and have to say that I pretty much agree (more or less and to degrees) with the above review. Overall I enjoyed the movie for what it was. I didn't expect The Lord of the Rings and it wasn't that. I thought that the acting (particularly the humans) was at times middling but not overly so or distracting to the overall film.

I have not played WoW. I have played Warcraft but can't say that I know anything about the back story. That made for a few of the references to fall flat, but I think that was not a major issue.

I particularly liked the way they portrayed magic and magic users. I thought that was particularly AWESOME.

In the end, it was quite a fun movie. It was not the best movie I've seen all year, or even in the last two months, but it was WELL worth watching and I do very much recommend seeing it.

I think the pacing is the main problem with the movie. There are good reasons why the LOTR movies have more than 150 minutes.
  • VallmyrVallmyr Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 2,456
    I heard (now this is just rumor) there was about 40 mins cut from the theatrical release and when it gets released to DVD it might have an extended version.
    justfeelinathomeShapiroKeatsDarkMagelolien
    @Vallmyr could you hint as to the reliability of such a rumor? :smile: I'd love to see that fleshed out version with specials and such.
  • SapphireIce101SapphireIce101 Member Posts: 866
    I just went and saw Warcraft. Imo, its a completely awesome movie. It might not follow Lore to a T, but its an enjoyable movie and I recommend it to anyone that loves Warcraft. :)
    ShapiroKeatsDarkMage
  • ArgasArgas Member Posts: 174
    It's not at all how I imagine Orcs. I read clash of clans where thrall was a slave in a human castle.. and they don't have those big teeth that narrow head and weird hair that look and then talking and the clothing.. I've only seen the trailer but they should have done better. I also think marvel is bad most of the time...
    WHat does Marvel have to do with this movie?
  • VallmyrVallmyr Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 2,456
    The orcs look very much like Warcraft orcs IMO. I've played WCII, WCIII, read all the books and played WoW for 8 years.

I really have no complaints with the movie as a lore nerd. Like Khadgar was supposed to train under Medivh (as per The Last Guardian book) and Dalaran shouldn't be a floating city yet but as far as game-to-movie adaptation goes I really can't complain. It's everything I could've wanted in a Warcraft film. Hopefully Warcraft II will have priests and paladins and then in WCIII we can have an Arthas storyline <3
    ShapiroKeatsDarkMage
    Yes i want to see magical D&D style paladins in the next movie.
  • jjstraka34jjstraka34 Member Posts: 9,850
    Vallmyr said:

The orcs look very much like Warcraft orcs IMO. I've played WCII, WCIII, read all the books and played WoW for 8 years.

I really have no complaints with the movie as a lore nerd. Like Khadgar was supposed to train under Medivh (as per The Last Guardian book) and Dalaran shouldn't be a floating city yet but as far as game-to-movie adaptation goes I really can't complain. It's everything I could've wanted in a Warcraft film. Hopefully Warcraft II will have priests and paladins and then in WCIII we can have an Arthas storyline <3</p>

That's really the only way to go, plot-wise. Move on to Warcraft 2 and finish up with the story of Arthas. Problem is, Warcraft 3 was one of the biggest cliffhangers in gaming I can imagine. It took 6 years until the Lich King expansion to wrap up the story of Arthas. And subsequently, WoW has been on a downturn ever since. I think people felt they had finally resolved the stories set out in Warcraft III at the end, and nothing has connected on that level since. When they went back to Warcraft II lore in Cataclysm and Warlords, it really didn't register in the same way. It's hard to deny how integral Warcraft III was to WoW's success at this point.
    Vallmyr