Warcraft-The Beginning (2016)

ShapiroKeatsDarkMageShapiroKeatsDarkMage Member Posts: 2,428
edited February 2016 in Off-Topic
What do you think of this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RhFMIRuHAL4

PS: For the Alliance!

Comments

• O_BruceO_Bruce Member Posts: 2,790
    I'll watch it. First of all, it is based on first Warcraft game, which means a lot to me. I've never got to play it, so learning the story will be nice. Second, it does look like Warcraft. And finally, I used to be into Warcraft when it was still rts. Blizzard reminding themselves of the serie's roots give me faint hope that we will see W4 someday.

But I am also concerned. First of all, I don't want orc/human forced romance on this movie. Romance is good if it adds to the plot and is done well. Here, I am not so sure. My second concern is that this is game-based movie. And those tends to suck a lot.
  • ShapiroKeatsDarkMageShapiroKeatsDarkMage Member Posts: 2,428
    I'm iffy about Garona being with the good guys considering she's the one who killed Varian Wynn's father.
  • brusbrus Member Posts: 944
    edited February 2016

And the next Oscar goes to ... Warcraft.
    "Brus has foreseen."
    brus said:

"Brus has foreseen."
    Only dramas get the oscar.

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/OscarBait
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,725

brus said:

"Brus has foreseen."
    Only dramas get the oscar.

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/OscarBait
    Well, non-dramas can always get Oscars for costumes, visuals, make-up, music and so on! Remember LotR and Mad Max this year.
  • VallmyrVallmyr Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 2,459

I'm iffy about Garona being with the good guys considering she's the one who killed Varian Wynn's father.

Wasn't Garona super good friends with Khadgar and Medivh? She always felt morally ambiguous as an in-between for the two factions.
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    I can only hope it does earn a ton of money. Maybe it'll convince the studios to make GOOD game adaptations instead of what we have been seeing.
  • jjstraka34jjstraka34 Member Posts: 9,850
    Garona was a half-orc who was generally good and trusted behind enemy lines, but she was a Manchurian Candidate waiting to be activated by Gul'dan and the Shadow Council. Wasn't her fault really. Durotan and Lothar had no relationship in the first RTS game, though them being the basis for the movie doesn't retcon anything since it was never established, so it is ripe for the picking. I still don't know if this is going to be a good movie or if it's going to appeal to an audience outside Warcraft fans. It's about 4 years past it's peak as a franchise during Lich King, and it's hard to imagine this thing making even 150 million.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited March 2016
    Personally I never really got into anything warcraft much. I think the absolute most was to get maybe like a level 30 druid or something in WoW (it might actually only be like 25).
    Post edited by elminster on
  • KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    Not interested in that one. While a movie from the perspective of the Horde fighting against the Alliance would be mildly interesting, this one appears to have clearly too many humans as the protagonists... boooring. Could be more fascinating if all humans were to be replaced with dwarfs or something.

What we really need is a WARHAMMER Fantasy movie with this level of detail. Of course it should be told from the perspective of the Skavens, Warriors of Chaos, Lizardmen, or Tomb Kings. I'd sell my neighbour's soul for such a film! :naughty:
    I just hope we have some gnome characters. Particularly maybe some cute gnome girls.
    Vallmyr said:

I just hope we have some gnome characters. Particularly maybe some cute gnome girls.

Its based on the first game, where there are no gnomes. Though you can spot a few elves in the trailer.

Vallmyr said:

Its based on the first game, where there are no gnomes. Though you can spot a few elves in the trailer.

Oh, right @_@

I only played Warcraft II, Warcraft III, and WoW. My knowledge of WCI comes from the novels.
    edited March 2016
    Warcraft 1 honestly had more story specific scenarios in it than Warcraft 2 did, though in both cases 85% of the story was told in the manuals (looking back I think I spent more time analyzing those manuals than I ever did playing the games). They were, along with the first two Monkey Island games, my formative gaming experience, at a time when we didn't have a console until the SNES was out and only had Macs (so RPG options were limited).

I actually always WISHED the Warcraft games I was playing would be something like WoW one day, and when it happened, I wasn't there for it, as I didn't even own a computer for about the first 4 years it was out. Which is just as well, because I'm nearly positive it would have consumed my life, as it nearly did when I finally started playing it during Lich King.

Today I installed it after not playing for months upon months, and for the first time ever....I felt nothing. I didn't want to play it anymore. WoW can consume all (and more) of your gaming time, and once you reach a point where you realize there are literally hundreds of single-player RPGs that are more interesting, it gets harder and harder to go back.

There has never been anything remotely original about anything Blizzard has done aside from making the combat real-time in the original Diablo, and the definitive implementation of skill trees in D2. The first two Warcraft RTS games were simply a Dune 2 knock-off combined with Warhammer-ish lore. What they have always been the masters of is super-smooth, easy accessible gameplay. All 3 Warcraft RTS games, Starcraft, and Diablo 1 and 2 are classics.

Of the current crop of games, only Hearthstone still strikes me as worth playing (which is simply Magic: The Gathering for the masses). And even that is falling prey to Blizzard's now never-ending habit of having cosmetic tie-ins bouncing around from game to game forcing OCD collector types to spend hours doing things they have no interest in. I honestly don't play Hearthstone a 1/10th as much as I would because I know there are a couple dozen card backs I can't ever acquire because of Blizzard's insistence on offering limited-time rewards for massive time sink commitments or by spending an extra $20 on Collector's Editions of EVERY one of their products. Want a new mount for Heroes of the Storm?? Finish the Seasons Journey in Diablo. Want a special Hearthstone cardback?? Grind to level 20 every month, and buy collector's editions of every other Blizzard game AND a virtual Blizz-Con ticket. Want special pets and mounts in WoW?? See everything above plus a few others. And then add in Starcraft to the mix. And soon Overwatch. Whatever soul was left in the company has turned it into nothing much more than a virtual Beanie Baby collection for geeks and nerds.
    Post edited by jjstraka34 on
    At least they still manage to make compelling characters and lore.
  • FardragonFardragon Member Posts: 4,511
    Blizzard games are fun, and if, like me, you aren't obsessed with cosmetic items and collecting, reasonably priced.
    edited March 2016
    So, what are the alignments of the various races and characters of Warcraft?
    Here's how i see it.

Alliance:
    -Humans: Lawful Neutral or Lawful Good tendencies.
    -Dwarves: Lawful Neutral
    -Night Elves: Neutral Good
    -Gnomes: Chaotic Good
    -Worgen: True Neutral
    -Draenei: Lawful Good

Horde:
    -Orcs: Chaotic Neutral or Good
    -Trolls: Neutral Good or True Neutral
    -Forsaken: Lawful Neutral or Evil
    -Tauren: Neutral Good
    -Blood Elves: True Neutral
    -Goblins: Chaotic Neutral

-Pandaren: Lawful Good.

• FardragonFardragon Member Posts: 4,511
    I think part of the point of warcraft is that good and evil aren't clear cut.
    Fardragon said:

I think part of the point of warcraft is that good and evil aren't clear cut.

Even the Horde and Alliance factions matter very, very little outside of PvP at this point. The Alliance raided the Horde capital at the end of Mists of Pandaria and simply left when they could have destroyed it utterly because the other Horde leaders participated in the Rebellion. The only remotely "evil" faction leader in the game is Sylvanas, and she certainly has her reasons. I suppose the Goblins would be second, but they just want to blow things up and make money. Every other Horde race is either entirely noble (Tauren) or at least has many aspects of nobility in their ranks (Orcs, Trolls, Blood Elves). Again, the only reason it even matters at all anymore is for gameplay reasons, of which there are basically two: 1.) To give slightly different questing experiences at many points in the game and 2). So Player vs Player combat can actually exist.

Its all dwarf now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pvlGM6ikW0U

Dwarf is love. Dwarf is life.
    Awesome Dwarf. Awful music.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iiCkPKAncFY

No more comments?
    edited March 2016
    Every longtime WoW player (or even the strategy games) will go see this movie. Let's say 4 out of the 5 million or so remaining players plop down theater ticket money. That easily gets this movie to 50 million, but the appeal beyond that eludes me. The problem with Warcraft lore being made into a movie franchise is that it either requires nebulous cribbing from other sources (the RTS games) or a 24/7 persistent world because it's so loaded and dense (WoW). I mean, is it gonna do better than Dungeons and Dragons and Dragonheart?? I would imagine, but this isn't gonna be the second coming of the Lord of the Rings, nor will it attain the popularity of Game of Thrones (if we're talking about mainstream fantasy entertainment). It's too goofy and comes attached with too much of a negative stigma to connect with the general public.
    Post edited by jjstraka34 on
    I would have like more positive impressions than a jaded doomsayer comment.
  • BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653
    I'll watch it, just for nostalgia from my WoW-playing days.
  • AndreaBeckAndreaBeck Member Posts: 9
    Might watch it. Want to see if it gives the same feeling like when playing previous World of Warcraft series. Eagerly waiting for the World of Warcraft: Legion release so that I can buy it online on cheap rates. Anyway fans of Warcraft will definitely go to watch this movie. Hope it will not disappoint.

Might watch it. Want to see if it gives the same feeling like when playing previous World of Warcraft series. Eagerly waiting for the World of Warcraft: Legion release so that I can buy it online on cheap rates. Anyway fans of Warcraft will definitely go to watch this movie. Hope it will not disappoint.

This movie is based on the first rts game ''Orcs & Humans'', not the MMO. Though is always nice to see a commenter who isn't a jaded doomsayer when it comes to the Warcraft franchise.
  • GozetaGozeta Member Posts: 105
    edited April 2016
    I am completely psyched for this! Warcraft has always been my gaming passion except for the last 2 years... XD But I will watch this Warcraft movie day one. Maybe it'll help get me back into their mmo.
    This is much better than the Skrillex crap used in the trailers. https://youtu.be/uriUPxg-YVo