Skip to content

Solo mage, how do you deal with killing trolls?

You're gunna run out of acid arrows and flame arrows pretty quick.

Comments

• JLeeJLee Member Posts: 650
    General avoidance and using summons + MMM to finish them worked for me.
  • PantalionPantalion Member Posts: 2,137
    1: Cloudkill. - Death to most trolls, which have a pretty low hitdie.
    2: Wand of Fire. - Wands exist for mages to spam spells they'll need frequently. 6D6 twice kills one troll that's down and hurts several more.
    3: Death Spell. - See 1.
    4: Polymorph Self: Mustard Jelly + Fireshields + Wand of Fire. - Trolls can't hurt jellies, fireshields tears down their health faster than it regenerates, blow yourself up with a fireball with impunity.
    5: Melf's Meteors. - Damage with fire shields, finish with a single melf's.
    6: Scrolls of Acid Arrow. - Cheap as chips. And it was either this or re-scribe them for enough Exp for Death Spell.
  • wraith5641wraith5641 Member Posts: 500
    Sunfire or Fireball + PfF

Make sure you have Stoneskin and MI up, then wait for a whole group of them to swarm you and just batter them with fire aoe.

MMM will also finish them off, if needs be.
  • lunarlunar Member Posts: 3,460
    As others said, death spell is surprisingly effective, slays even those pesky spirit trolls in my game. With no save. So I lure huge groups of trolls together by kiting, and let loose a single death spell. Thousands and thousands of easy xp in one shot.

Melf's minute meteors last forever and you can only use them for the finishing moves. You can finish off one troll per caster level.
  • ArunsunArunsun Member Posts: 1,592
    lunar said:

As others said, death spell is surprisingly effective, slays even those pesky spirit trolls in my game.

Are you sure about that? Trolls on my modless installation are immune to death effects, I'm quite positive.
  • ithildurnewithildurnew Member Posts: 276
    edited March 2016
    No one mentioned polymorph flind? You get a +3 Halberd that does fire damage while hasted. Buff up, cast polymorph but don't transform until you down the trolls using various options available, hit the flind button and finish them off.

Melfs is very good obviously and you can avoid melee with them, but sometimes you run out.

Of course with the current apr bug in bg2ee, when melfs runs out you might end up with a buffed hasted flind with aforementioned Halberd doing 6 attacks per round until you reload... super cheesy cheat available (whether you want the cheat or not you're stuck with it until you can save/load) as early as lvl 7
  • DevardKrownDevardKrown Member Posts: 421
    Flaming Hands just stuffing you lvl 1 spells full already kills a lot of trolls and nothing really of value is lost.
    we also have , Melfs Acid Arrow , fireshield red, fireball, sunfire, polymorph flind, melfs minute mitorite, as mage you have quite the options
  • moody_magemoody_mage Member Posts: 2,054
    Agree with @lunar. Death Spell wipes out the majority of trolls with no save.
  • abacusabacus Member Posts: 1,307
    Stoneskins and Fire Shields is can be funny... With a meteor to finish. A's Scorcher can be good if you get the alignment right.
    @ithildurnew Have you tried the attacks bug with Imp Haste? It's quite surreal watching a wizard do 10 apr....
  • NuinNuin Member Posts: 451
    edited March 2016
    Just Polymorph Self. It should last 2 turns or so by the time you start killing a lot of trolls in a solo game, and you can use the flind/spider forms to kill off the near death or downed ones.

Note that you can freely change forms as long as the spell is up. So can just fight trolls->change into a flind to finish them off->change back into your human form->move to the next group and repeat.
    edited March 2016

@ithildurnew Have you tried the attacks bug with Imp Haste? It's quite surreal watching a wizard do 10 apr....

No I haven't, nor am I interested. The apr bug is one of the reasons why I uninstalled EE and went back to BGT

• luskanluskan Member Posts: 269
    Chromatic Orb does guaranteed acid damage at character level 10+ (which is the same level if you cast it from a scroll).
  • SpaceInvaderSpaceInvader Member Posts: 2,125
    Wands of Cloudkill and Fire using choke points.
    @ithildurnew I have no idea why it still hasn't been fixed. There must be a reason that I don't understand.

To be fair, though, there is a lesser apr bug in BGT; the Boots of Speed add an extra attack. Actually, I don't know if it's a bug or it's intentional, but it's very cheesy.
  • SpaceInvaderSpaceInvader Member Posts: 2,125
    @wraith5641

Change Log for v2.0:
    Dee said:

Increased APR from magical projectiles now ends correctly when they are depleted (11061)

@SpaceInvader Ah.....I missed that update. Thank you :)
    edited March 2016

@ithildurnew I have no idea why it still hasn't been fixed. There must be a reason that I don't understand.

To be fair, though, there is a lesser apr bug in BGT; the Boots of Speed add an extra attack. Actually, I don't know if it's a bug or it's intentional, but it's very cheesy.

Er, what? There's no such property added by Boots of Speed, it only adds movement rate bonus.

And still not as broken as 5apr.

Dee said:

Increased APR from magical projectiles now ends correctly when they are depleted (11061)

When is this patch scheduled to come out?
  • simplessimples Member Posts: 540
    def death spell. when i'm out of death spells...... i rest and kill the rest, because trolls are broken so they deserve to be cheesed.
    @ithildurnew It definitely does. Well, it does on my game. When I get the chance, I'll post a screenshot.
    edited March 2016

@ithildurnew It definitely does. Well, it does on my game. When I get the chance, I'll post a screenshot.

I'll save you the trouble: vanilla BG2 adds Haste property to the boots, NOT BGT. A quick look via NI will verify this. BG1 only had a movement rate bonus; BG2Fixpack fixes the boots so they revert to BG1 property of movement rate bonus only. BG2Fixpack is pretty much a community standard (so much so that it's included in the EE versions) so for most people using BGT and other mods, if they were good citizens and installed Fixpack the vanilla BG2 bug is a non issue.

A screenshot of the combat log or character screen wouldn't have proved anything anyway, especially if you have other mods installed. You'll need a weidu log and either a changelog or an examination of BGT's tp2 file that shows alterations were made to the item in question by BGT, plus a screenshot of the item's properties in NI, etc.

Probably way off topic anyway. TL;DR version, it's not BGT, it's vanilla BG2 that's 'bugged'.
    Post edited by ithildurnew on
  • lunarlunar Member Posts: 3,460
    edited March 2016

As shown here, death spell utterly decimates them. The skull animation is a nifty one I took from one mod (refinements, I think) and added to the vanilla spell as it looks so cool.
    4.jpg 334.4K
  • Abi_DalzimAbi_Dalzim Member Posts: 1,428
    Yeah, Death Spell is so efficient for trolls and a number of other things that it's probably my second favorite necromancy spell in the game (no guesses for what takes number one).
  • Lord_TansheronLord_Tansheron Member Posts: 4,212
    Sadly Death Spell (and Symbol: Death) are useless in Nightmare Mode because they are based off of hit dice/HP :(
    @ithildurnew Yeah, there was a reason I didn't install the fixpack. It's been a while since I last played vanilla BG2 or BGT, so I can't remember what the reason was.
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903

Sadly Death Spell (and Symbol: Death) are useless in Nightmare Mode because they are based off of hit dice/HP :(

That's not true. All you have to do to make a Spirit Troll vulnerable to Death Spell in Nightmare mode is to cast Energy Drain on it 6 times.

What else would your level 20 sorcerer use with those spell slots anyway? Wish? Summon Planetar? Nah.
  • Lord_TansheronLord_Tansheron Member Posts: 4,212
    Of course! How could I miss that!