Skip to content

Now, with the release delay, would you like change in UI presented ?

actionjezus6actionjezus6 Member Posts: 12
edited September 2012 in Archive (General Discussion)
New ui:
http://baldursgate.com/images/media/screenshots/screen09.png

Kerozevok proposition:
http://nsa30.casimages.com/img/2012/09/11/120911074534708582.jpg

Honestly, I really do appreciate Overhaul work but I can't stand new UI. Am I the only one ?
  1. Now, with the release delay, would you like change in UI presented ?132 votes
    1. Yes, the UI could use some fixes
      70.45%
    2. No, the new UI is fine as it is.
      29.55%

Comments

• ramagonsramagons Member Posts: 96
    not sure that the blue is much of an improvement over the original brown.
  • ZinodinZinodin Member Posts: 153
    edited September 2012
    Not saying it should it should return to the brown one, but I do think the design can be better. Some of the shops were awesome and more optimized. So yeah, if they decide to improve what they have more, awesome.

EDIT: Though I think Kerozevok's idea isn't optimal. I like the blue color, but the rod next to the portrait needs to go all the way down as suggested. I also like the empty portrait slots, but the buttons he moved to the other side wasn't necessary.
    Post edited by Zinodin on
  • Fake_SketchFake_Sketch Member Posts: 217
    I only want the golden strip all the way down both sides.
  • killeahkilleah Member Posts: 124
    moving the action windows of the new cut/resize option to the right might have something to do with touchpad playability, if that is so I see no reason to change it back. IF purely cosmetic it does make sense to keep it all left side.

Best case would be make seperate ui's for touchpad/pc-mac - if not done already.
  • that70sgirl7887that70sgirl7887 Member Posts: 18
    What they currently have, I like, with the exception of the blue color. It seems too bright. I like where all the buttons are. I don't like where the select and the search buttons are on the Kerozevok proposed. I feel like these options are separate from your controls on the left and that they should be where they currently are. I also agree with @fake_sketch that gold strip should go all the way down, but other than that I don't have any complaints.
  • TrayusTrayus Member Posts: 7
    edited September 2012
    I like the addition of the portrait spacing but I prefer the blue texture in the official screenshots rather than the stone texture in the edit; I just feel the blue suits the buttons better. I think I prefer the 'select all' button on the right under the portraits also. I'm not sure how I feel about the font, I'd probably get used to it though.
  • Awong124Awong124 Member Posts: 2,643
    edited September 2012
    Definitely needs a border around the avatars. And the vertical line on the right looks very weird stopping short of the bottom.
  • ramagonsramagons Member Posts: 96
    I think the inner gold frame around the gameplay area might contrast a bit too much. It was much more understated in the original bg2 UI, but that's just my opinion.
  • Jean_LucJean_Luc Member Posts: 228
    UI is almost certainly one of the reasons for the delay so...
  • SolobearSolobear Member Posts: 55
    Whats up with the blue? I looks terrible...
  • actionjezus6actionjezus6 Member Posts: 12
    Jean_Luc said:

UI is almost certainly one of the reasons for the delay so...

I hope so. I really do hope so :)

• LemernisLemernis Member, Moderator Posts: 4,318
    edited September 2012
    Please provide an "Other: explain" option to polls like this. Consciously or unconsciously it amounts to a 'push' poll.

I, for example, rather like the new GUI, but I'm sure it could probably benefit from a few tweaks. It's not either or.

Above all I think it would be best if there were 'skins' available for the GUI. And, ideally, perhaps some adjustments to it possibly in-game. Eg, to choose the color of the stone, offer a selection of borders, etc. But all that said, I actually really like the new GUI very much just as it is.
  • GygaxianProseGygaxianProse Member Posts: 201
    The GUI looks fine to me. Options would be cool ~ seems more a post-release priority type item though ~
  • O_BruceO_Bruce Member Posts: 2,790
    It could use some fixes, but not necessary match Kerozevok's ones. I don't need grey interface to feel BG1 - I need a "stone" interface in order to do so. His version is grey, but not "stonish" enough.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,316
    edited September 2012
    Personally I like the bluish UI but that is just me.

The one thing I would suggest is maybe to fill in some of the unused space on the UI with customisable buttons.
  • ArcalianArcalian Member Posts: 359
    I don't care about the new UI. For me the selling point is the three new npcs, their banters, and sidequests.
  • harvman11harvman11 Member Posts: 33
    I voted fine as is assuming they will do some very minor work (mainly just fixing up the border). I like the new look, including the blue color and the borderless portraits, so I'm hoping the majority of their extra time will be spent cleaning up bugs and adding the "post-ship" things (subraces, cloud saves, etc.).
  • TanthalasTanthalas Member Posts: 6,738
    Like I mentioned in the other topic, I think messing for with the color choices for the GUI is a losing battle, there will always be people that won't like it.

On the other hand, I'm up for improvements to GUI functionality.
  • DemossDemoss Member Posts: 52
    It needs more stone round the portraits, like a border as it looks off compared to the original and even BG2. :/

Well and maybe make it look more stone like in colour... (that includes the buttons/icons, the brown looks strange..)
  • FuzzyPuffinFuzzyPuffin Member Posts: 289
    edited September 2012
    They should remove the texture on the sides of the battle log. It's wasted screen real estate.
  • LongtimerLongtimer Member Posts: 7
    edited September 2012
    I REALLY, REALLY don't like the bright yellow gold button trim, it looks cheap and tacky. They should have kept the more subdued shade of gold of the original.

That's the first mod I'll be lookng for.

I prefer the @daylight concept MUCH more including his button spacing.
    Post edited by Longtimer on
  • AdulAdul Member Posts: 2,002
    I definitely would. I'm not a fan of the color choices of the new UI. If they could offer us multiple options (2 or more, in the form of official UI mods for example), I'd be very happy.
  • GloomfrostGloomfrost Member Posts: 267
    might as well, December 1st (close enough) is a long way away and these are not labor intensive changes on the whole.
  • Ulfgar_TorunnUlfgar_Torunn Member Posts: 169
    I can only speak for myself, but I think that others would agree that the buttons look strange. In both BG and BG 2 the buttons are separated from the GUI, but in the screenshots they are on raised platforms. Somehow this minor change completely changes the feel of the interface.

I propose that they return to their original state wherein they are not part of a 'platform' but are the 'platforms' themselves.

The other problem, of course, is the color. Blue and gold are far to flashy for a GUI. The GUI should be subtle and it shouldn't draw attention to itself.
  • HarryTheFistHarryTheFist Member Posts: 1
    I find the blue UI to be hideous, and would MUCH prefer one of the alternatives posed in this thread (@Daylight or @Kerozevok)

My order of preference would certainly be:
    1. Daylight
    2. Kerozevok
    3. Beamdog

I much prefer the full width battle log in Daylights, as well as the muted colours and buttons. I find the Beamdog version pretty garish to be honest. I don't like Daylights portraits, and would much prefer Kerozevok's. Other than that I can't see anything I prefer in the Beamdog version :( - I hope it gets changed.
  • MillardkillmooreMillardkillmoore Member Posts: 150
    I prefer the blue color to the grey, but would like those icons on the left.
  • EidolonEidolon Member Posts: 99
    Really I cannot understand that people like that grey UI made by Daylight. No offense to him, and yes it does look nice and flashy but it doesn't fit Baldur's Gate in the least. it's way too clinical. Personally I'm indifferent whether or not they change the UI. The current one is fine in general, the background could use a little work.
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    My vote would be to put the dialogue box on the left side at the very bottom, and put the action icons to the right of it in two rows of six.

I do think that the dialogue window needs to be somewhat static in its horizontal dimensions, if only because of the scaling UI.
  • TetraploidTetraploid Member Posts: 252
    Well, I voted yes, but it's not a major concern for me. I don't think the new UI is great, and if they can improve it, that's good, but if it stays as it is that wouldn't really bother me. I'd rather they spent the time making sure the gameplay, content + NPCs are as polished as possible rather than agonising over the exact shade of grey the UI background is!