Skip to content

BG2 Strongholds?

Hi guys,

I have just completed the Mage Stronghold questline but I am wondering what is the actual point of a stronghold in BG2? Base of operations, storage, more quests?

Many thanks for your help,

Falthas

Comments

• DurenasDurenas Member Posts: 508
    There are a few quests, sometimes some items, a place to store your gear. That's... about it.
  • ShandoShando Member Posts: 147
    ^ epic.
  • DevardKrownDevardKrown Member Posts: 421
    @BelgarathMTH my favorite was always the mage one , because of the knighs , i was reading Dragonlance at that time and got all hyped...

but yeah strongholds are just a flavor thing , and some items ..some are better than other like the thiefs guild is the most rubbish for being "lost" if you leave it be for a week.
  • BillyYankBillyYank Member Posts: 2,768
    It was also, I think, a nod to the PnP game. In the description of each class, there were rules for gaining a stronghold at a certain level with examples for how to set one up, how to maintain it and what sort of income you could expect from it.
  • sansserifsansserif Member Posts: 125
    Agreed. However, not really on the storage part anymore; you could actually store your stuff in the Copper Coronet, and my game lets me drop stuff everywhere and not lose them.

On the Mage stronghold quest, I liked the quest itself and the items you get. Fun. In the end, if you kept the apprentices alive and kept coming back for potions, you'll end the game with an abundancy of potions. Useful or not useful, it depends. I found it fun killing the demons (though the second was hard for me at my low levels) and i like the loot.
  • jinxed75jinxed75 Member Posts: 157
    I really like the Strongholds. For me, they add a lot to the game simply by providing you with a "home". Having a place to go to, after a done quest does a lot for me in terms of immersion.
    Also, most of them have pretty nice quests tied to it, and give you something extra to do.
  • mashedtatersmashedtaters Member Posts: 2,266
    As @BillyYank said, strongholds were a huge milestone in AD&D 2E P&P. Most character classes got some sort of stronghold, usually at level 9, with a plethora of followers and henchmen. This was used, among other things, as a potential plot hook for DMs to enrich the role-playing experience.

In BG2, they do little more than provide a few quests and increase the fun-factor. Don't expect them to be useful. You can't even access them after a certain point in the game.
  • bob_vengbob_veng Member Posts: 2,308
    the mage stronghold has good rewards and it's the best stronghold because of that, so i find it strange that you ask what's the point of it :smile:
  • RaduzielRaduziel Member Posts: 4,714
    Is there any mod that turns the thief stronghold into something close to acceptable?
  • Tad_Has_A_Cold_OliveTad_Has_A_Cold_Olive Member Posts: 183
    I'll be honest, the one time I got through Baldur's Gate II, the D'Arnise Keep felt like it was way too out of the way. Maybe in my next runthrough, I'll try and nab one of the Strongholds that are in Athkatla.
  •  TheArtisan TheArtisan Member Posts: 3,277
    There was the Expanded Thief Stronghold: http://www.shsforums.net/files/file/757-expanded-thief-stronghold/ It's not updated for EE but I remember enjoying it since it brings back Narlen and Black Lily.

I personally like the bard, mage and ranger strongholds the best, whereas I greatly dislike the cleric stronghold.
    The best stronghold is the fighter's and if you disagree I'm sorry to say you're just wrong. Very wrong. Wrong like: I need to review all my life choices. ASAP.

Sorry, I really love that stronghold.
  • Raduziel said:

Is there any mod that turns the thief stronghold into something close to acceptable?

In a manner of speaking; the NPC Strongholds Mod makes some improvements to the stronghold if one of your NPCs takes it, ranging from streamlining the process for Jan to adding an additional sidequest for Imoen (and maybe Nalia, haven't tried it with her yet).
    Kaigen said:

Raduziel said:

In a manner of speaking; the NPC Strongholds Mod makes some improvements to the stronghold if one of your NPCs takes it, ranging from streamlining the process for Jan to adding an additional sidequest for Imoen (and maybe Nalia, haven't tried it with her yet).
    What stronghold would Dorn take? :wink:
    sansserif said:

Kaigen said:

Raduziel said:

What stronghold would Dorn take? :wink:
    Q: Will the new Enhanced Edition NPCs get strongholds?

A: Signs point to "no."

http://www.gibberlings3.net/npcstrongholds/
    @Raduziel oops, didnt c that.