Skip to content

well that question had to come

Hey,

Sorry for the bit retard question, the next project after BG is goin to b IWD?

Comments

• BillyYankBillyYank Member Posts: 2,768
    They have said that they're going to bring IWD up to the 2.0 patch level. There have been hints that the next big project will be an entirely new game, but of course they're not committing to anything yet.
  • ShandoShando Member Posts: 147
    i c.

well.. i guess it will take time :(
    hm... what does it mean IWD up to 2.0 btw ?
  • BillyYankBillyYank Member Posts: 2,768
    Right now the patch version of BG and BG2 are 1.3 and IWD is 1.4. The patch version 2.0 is in beta testing now on the BG games and Trent has said they want all three games at the same patch version, so they'll be upgrading IWD.
  • FranpaFranpa Member Posts: 637
    edited March 2016
    And after that they will fix the abysmal performance issues plaguing Neverwinter Nights 2 and I will finally be able to enjoy it!

Maybe (Unlikely).
    so many projects!
  • smady3smady3 Member Posts: 48
    Franpa said:

And after that they will fix the abysmal performance issues plaguing Neverwinter Nights 2 and I will finally be able to enjoy it!

Maybe (Unlikely).

What performance issues?
    ^ idk but if its related to nwn iam in!
    edited March 2016
    smady3 wrote: »
    Franpa wrote:

Maybe (Unlikely).

What performance issues?

I dunno what the exact cause is, it just performs like ass for me. I like having the camera behind my character looking forward and it just slaughters the frame rate, having the camera in an overhead position works a lot better though it's still a little shonky in terms of frame rate. Lowering the number of shadows or dynamic shadows the game has to render doesn't help either. I do use that mod that supposedly fixes a timing issue that causes performance issues over time.

Here's my hardware, it should be more than enough for the game:

Intel i7 920
    ASUS P6T
    8GB DDR3 RAM
    Geforce 560Ti (Various driver versions tested with NWN)
    1920x1080 60hz
    Corsair AX760 PSU

I have as much power saving technology for any of my hardware, disabled. The only thing like it that is enabled would be the Intel Thermal Monitor thing which shuts the CPU down if it ever overheats or voltage becomes unstable (It never over heats though). I do this because I prefer having a consistent experience when gaming over that of saving energy and I've seen enough reports of users having unstable performance until they increase the minimum clockspeed for their CPU in Windows to make me not want to ever experience that crap. My current PSU was partly purchased to make up for this (Platinum certified energy efficiency).
  • mashedtatersmashedtaters Member Posts: 2,266
    I'm sorry, am I missing something? Does beamdog have the rights to NWN and NWN2?
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    @mashedtaters I don't think so.
    edited March 2016
    I don't really pay attention to who owns the rights to these kinds of games. I just play them to have fun, if possible. NWN2 seems awesome, it just doesn't perform well enough on my machine for unknown reasons for me to comfortably play it :/
  • HumizHumiz Member Posts: 8
    NWN2 was never finished thanks to Atari.
    If beamdog do fix the game it would be great.
    IWD and BG has been remaked in NWN2 and
    the ones that did the BG mod is working on BGII.

Thanks
    Humiz
  • JarrakulJarrakul Member Posts: 2,029
    Eh, NWN2 has a serious problem with combat turning into a giant cartoon-like ball of violence. Don't get me wrong, it's a fun game, and Mask of the Betrayer is very nearly the second coming of Planescape: Torment, but I much prefer the BG approach to combat.
  • mashedtatersmashedtaters Member Posts: 2,266
    I liked the writing of NWN (not the first main campaign, though) much better than NWN2. The characters in NWN2 were just too contrived. I didn't really like any of them, they were all so freaking annoying. I couldn't get myself to play longer than the warehouse in neverwinter. Although NWN2 is better because it has an actual party system, and NWN does not.

@Franpa maybe you can get NWN to run on your machine? It's not as memory aggressive.
  • InsultionInsultion Member Posts: 179

I liked the writing of NWN (not the first main campaign, though) much better than NWN2. The characters in NWN2 were just too contrived. I didn't really like any of them, they were all so freaking annoying. I couldn't get myself to play longer than the warehouse in neverwinter. Although NWN2 is better because it has an actual party system, and NWN does not.

@Franpa maybe you can get NWN to run on your machine? It's not as memory aggressive.

I never feel guilty in an evil run of NWN2. I did in NWN1, and do in BG 1 and 2. That speaks volumes to NWN2's character development, or lack thereof. Storms of Zehir brought more fun to the game, but for the most part I still prefer NWN1 over 2 in all respects.

On-topic, I am hoping the 2.0 update isn't too far off for IWD.
    edited April 2016
    IWD is pretty playable in v1.4.0, I beat it without too much issue. The biggest issue I encountered in the game (That isn't difficulty related) was the Journal very, very rarely updated with quest information. By the end of the game the quest mentioned barely any of the quests I had completed or started.
    Post edited by Franpa on