Skip to content

Gloomy outlook on AI. (What is the SCS status for Dragonspear at release?)

Does anyone know how/if SCS for BGEE could carry over at least basic AI functionality to SoD?

I imagine that specific AI improvements, e.g., for mage/cleric scripts would require a full update on SCS, which may be as involved and distant as SCS for IWD; i.e., it may never happen.

I make a point of purchasing and supporting all Beamdog releases (they had been nice developers to us), but quite honestly I never bothered finishing IWD: it is uselessly easy without an SCS level AI, no matter what challenge settings/mods you use (reasonable, core rule, no-reload settings; heart-of-whatever is irrelevant here).

I wish Beamdog spent resources on upgrading AI on all EE line. I would pay $60 (price for an AAA title) happily on nothing but an AI upgrade for the games.

Comments

• LifatLifat Member Posts: 353
    SCS recieved updates all the way up to november 2013, and as far as I know, it hasn't been abandoned. I'd be shocked if we don't see an update to SCS if it needs it for the BG games including SoD.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited March 2016
    Lifat said:

SCS recieved updates all the way up to november 2013, and as far as I know, it hasn't been abandoned. I'd be shocked if we don't see an update to SCS if it needs it for the BG games including SoD.

SCS was actually last updated in Jan 2015 :)

http://gibberlings3.net/forums/index.php?s=18d5d09611ed3dd692effae8a2bdcace&showtopic=27034
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • ComplyOrDieComplyOrDie Member Posts: 41
    edited March 2016
    Just one of the drawbacks of getting hooked on SCS I'm afraid, it seems alot to ask of DavidW to do a full pass on SoD. I do agree that it did spoil IWD:EE a little when you know the potential of the AI but it isn't used.

Realistically though it's clearly a very time consuming thing to do and there aren't THAT many people who play this kind of game for really tough combat. Pillars of Eternity was pretty disappointing too to a SCS veteran. There's already a small market for Isometric RPGs and a small percetnage of those who want advanced AI.

What I do hope is that the Devs have at least improved on the Vanilla AI for the new encounters, so that the enemies make slightly better use of their abilities etc., I think there's reason to be optimistic there.

There was also talk of a "legacy of bhaal" mode, which I can't find much information on, which might help.

I'm sure there will be other aspects of the game to enjoy too, but do agree that poor difficulty can ruin a game. You often get this extensive list of cool abilities which you barely need to use!
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,724
    SoD will have a much improved AI, and these improvements were made independently from the SCS mod.

According to the devs, "they re-designed AI from the scratch. Partly because it was rather blunt in vanilla games, partly because it simply could not handle the tasks we had set for it.
    So, albeit it doesn't necessarily top SCS - which wasn't a goal, for various reasons, - it still offers a comparable amount of challenge on high difficulty settings, as well as introducing a couple brand new features. You might have glimpsed one during the large battle in a courtyard."

https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/comment/655356/#Comment_655356

In SoD, your difficulty will greatly influence the encounters, not only adding some troops to enemy groups but improving their AI.

Enemies won't use their most powerful spells, items and abilities on Normal and Story Mode. They will also not use some of their more advanced tactics on those settings. However, if you increase the difficulty to "Core Rules" (or higher) you can be sure that opponents will fight to the best of their ability.

The number of enemies that you fight also varies depending on the difficulty settings as does the actual composition of the battle encounters. Sometimes, a single creature that gets added on a higher difficulty setting can make a battle significantly harder due to its ability to heal or buff its allies.

[spoiler=an encounter on the Easy difficulty]

[/spoiler]

[spoiler=an encounter on the Insane difficulty]

[/spoiler]

The Legacy of Bhaal mode has the following additional traits:

player summons get *2+20 hp
    max rest encounters increases by 1
    +75 gold per pickup
    creature levels are treated as level + 12 for some checks
    non controlled sprites cannot fail morale checks

https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/comment/717207/#Comment_717207
  • YgramulYgramul Member Posts: 1,059
    bengoshi said:

According to the devs, "they re-designed AI from the scratch. Partly because it was rather blunt in vanilla games, partly because it simply could not handle the tasks we had set for it.
    So, albeit it doesn't necessarily top SCS - which wasn't a goal, for various reasons, - it still offers a comparable amount of challenge on high difficulty settings, as well as introducing a couple brand new features. You might have glimpsed one during the large battle in a courtyard."

This is good to hear and I hope it trickles back to the original BG content.

Also, I hope that they will adopt IWDEE's "Insane Difficulty; without extra HP or XP" options into BG and BG2. (That may involve updating a lot of encounter tables, so perhaps not trivial.)

The best investment for Beamdog's time, in my opinion, is a DLC with an AI upgrade (throw in some kits, for marketing, if you want). I will gladly pay full price of an AAA title for that if done well.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,724
    According to the devs, SoD (like BG1 and BG2) doesn't have XP adjustments based on difficulty, those were always exclusive to IWD.

So if you play on harder difficulty settings, you fight more monsters and get the XP that those monsters are worth. As an example, lest's say that on Normal you would fight two ogres, each worth 270 XP so you'd get a total of 540 XP from that encounter. On Core Rules, you would fight 3 ogres for a total of 810 XP from the same encounter.

But there will be (and currently you can see it in the open beta of the EE patches) an option to switch off difficulty-based increased damage.
  • AKrugBierAKrugBier Member Posts: 110
    I am all in for more tactical battles but I detest the idea of monsters magically getting more HP and DMG because of a higher difficulty setting. Will there maybe be an option for people who want more monsters, minus them being bullet sponges (+12 levels)?

• DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    AKrugBier said:

I am all in for more tactical battles but I detest the idea of monsters magically getting more HP and DMG because of a higher difficulty setting. Will there maybe be an option for people who want more monsters, minus them being bullet sponges (+12 levels)?

"Insane" difficulty is the one you want. Legacy of Bhaal is specifically designed for the beefing up of baddies.
  • prairiechickenprairiechicken Member Posts: 149
    Are ai changes sod only or do they apply to all games?
  • ComplyOrDieComplyOrDie Member Posts: 41
    All sounds good :). I knew you guys knew what you were doing when you gave the option to turn the bonus XP off when you upped the difficulty on IWD. That was a strange one.
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447

Enemy AI is SoD-only. Player AI is universal, so it'll affect the non-SoD portion of the game.
    Dee said:

Enemy AI is SoD-only. Player AI is universal, so it'll affect the non-SoD portion of the game.
    Can we throw money at you to consider implementing enemy AI for the original EE content? Perhaps in another DLC?

(If an AI-only DLC may not sound marketable feel free to bundle some class/kits in it, of course.)
    Why exactly is the enemy AI SoD only?
  • AlexTAlexT Member Posts: 760
    For people who are interested in how SoD AI and enemy encounters work, check our last Twitch stream.
    Dee said:

@Ygramul I'd love to see that personally, but it would mean a significant change in the overall design of the game, so it's not something that we'd do lightly. But it is something that I, personally, would support as an optional add-on.

Thanks, @Dee
    I appreciate the earnest response.

I hope you folks will consider the continued interest in the EE series as a vote of confidence to continue improvements (and, yes!, please charge us for it -- we want you to profit well while doing this).

Baldur's Game series has become the connoisseur's gaming experience at this point, proving that a refined game is worth something even decades after, rather than the usual develop/abandon cycle for titles.

There is a reason why Pillars of Eternity (which objectively is beyond BG in many regards) is still not getting as much playtime as BG from me, as did neither NWN, Dragon Age etc.
  • FardragonFardragon Member Posts: 4,511
    PoE is only beyond BG in terms of graphics. In terms of rules system and story it is way behind.
  • TorinTorin Member Posts: 229
    Ardanis said:

AKrugBier said:

Why exactly is the enemy AI SoD only?

In short, there's a risk to unintentionally break some of the existing plotlines, if porting new AI designs is not done carefully. It happened before with SCS mod.
    In SoD we've been fully in control of encounters' design, both on local and global scope, and knew them by heart. With vanilla content we'd first need to rebuild the picture in our minds, before making changes. It's nothing impossible, as visibly proven by SCS, but ensuring that no new bugs are introduced requires quite more effort than may seem at first glance and than we could afford at the moment. We don't want new bugs.
    Can you at least do something for Bg1EE in some future (Bg2EE already has "smart" mages)?
    Redo AI for combat vs named enemy groups on Core or higher difficulty and you can add general AI that was added for players for non named enemies. There are not that many named enemy groups, a couple of bounty hunter groups and some of the story named enemies. Or at least do that for some side quests battles, kind of like how Pillars of Eternity had side quest combat harder than main quest combat.
  • prairiechickenprairiechicken Member Posts: 149
    How hard are these AIs and scaling going to be? If they produce huge gaps between normal and core and the core is now the new insane it would cause big problems.
    edited March 2016
    Well, there is still SCS if the new AI won't be implemented into the core games. And I totally can live with that.
    AKrugBier said:

Well, there is still SCS if the new AI won't be implemented into the core games. And I totally can live with that.

Issue is that SCS may likely be broken the moment 2.0/SoD comes out, even for the vanilla content.

@DavidW has been great in providing support for the newer iterations of BG/EE over the years, but it will likely take a while in the best of circumstances.
  • Son_of_ImoenSon_of_Imoen Member Posts: 1,806
    Ygramul said:

Issue is that SCS may likely be broken the moment 2.0/SoD comes out, even for the vanilla content.

A good reason to keep hold of the version 1.3 installers until SCS is updated to be able to install an older version of the game if SCS bugs make 2.0 unplayable!