Skip to content

Obsidian and Paradox is up to something evil.

124»

Comments

• KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    ...and here I am.... still waiting for someone to pick up Eberron from its dusty licence shelf...
  • GodGod Member Posts: 1,150

...and here I am.... still waiting for someone to pick up Eberron from its dusty licence shelf...

Hm, okay. What the hell is Eberron and how do I make money out of it?
  • GenderNihilismGirdleGenderNihilismGirdle Member Posts: 1,353
    I can't stop playing this game. Well, I'm posting on this forum right now. But I'm diving right back in, it's addictive and a strong contender for GOTY for me personally.
  • YamchaYamcha Member Posts: 486
    @GenderNihilismGirdle
    What character did you make?
    I wanted to go for a light armored javelin/magic, sub & lore supporter, though I'm using magic pretty rarely. I'm past act 1 but I haven't found any useful utility spells yet. So Eb is doing the spell slinging and I keep to my ranged weapons.

Have you dabbled in magic?
  • GenderNihilismGirdleGenderNihilismGirdle Member Posts: 1,353
    @Yamcha
    I ended up making a Vigor/Atrophy mage with a Diplomat background for my first playthrough.

I play this game like I play BG, so I ended up exploring everything, talking to everyone and doing all side quests before moving on to main quest stuff (even in the first part with the time limit! but I had time to rest every time I needed to and cleared it with 5 days left on the clock despite that without issue) and so I actually found quite a lot of Sigils and people selling Sigils including all of the chargen-granted core Sigils which has me thinking that on my next playthrough as a mage I probably won't go with the mage combat types at all since it's a waste of a free Talent just to earn Sigils I find before the first act is up.

I think I'll end up doubling up on bows and just statting my attributes/bumping my lore skill at chargen like a mage, especially since finding out that every magic skill uses a unique pairing of Wits and one other stat based on the core Sigil used!

I found Vigor, Frost and Lightning Sigils in the first act of the game (i.e. the resolution of the first Edict, the Lightning Sigil is with a merchant in one of the very first areas even!) so it seems kinda useless in retrospect to pick any of those as a Mage (other than from an RP standpoint, and you also find mage staffs of those kinds aside from Vigor relatively quickly). I can't remember, but I think I might've found an Atrophy one as well, but since I can't recall exactly maybe Atrophy is worth grabbing...except as I accumulated Sigils it quickly became a type of magic I didn't want to use at all compared to literally any other type lmao

I got Illusion really early on, might've been my first one since I saved up some rings before going back to buy the chargen ones (the long-range Illusion spell that knocks people prone, False Pit, is SO useful in early game, and I still gain quite a bit of use out of an Accent Sigil-stacked version of it) and stumbled across Fire, Frost and Lightning super early. I can't remember when I picked up Force but I think it was before I fought Eb for the first time? So that's pretty early too. I use Force A LOT. I think I got Stone pretty shortly after resolving the first Edict. Got Life from Lantry and Gravelight from Eb through conversations/reputation levels (I'm gonna do an Eb-centric playthrough just to see if I can grab Tidal from her too, but I have a feeling you can't), so I'm actually doing pretty much ONLY spell-slinging at this point and the only core Sigil I know about aside from these that I don't have is Emotion. Haven't come across it yet!

But as far as utility, Vigor and Illusion have touch buff spells I slapped on everyone (since everyone has at least 2 slots) right from the start until Lantry taught me Life, now everyone has the touch Life and the touch Illusion so they can make themselves/each other harder to hit and "moar healz plz!" and I have the touch and long-range Life spells with tons of Accent Sigils to make 'em tasty. My first playthrough I'm going through for the glory of Kyros and am heavy mage, so I don't use Lantry or Eb...thought about maybe using Sirin, but in the end having Verse and Barik and Kills-in-Shadows just means they can all protect me from ever worrying about damage and squish things/taunt things that try to target me from range while I sling spells constantly.

I'm excited about doing an Unarmed/Unarmed character to make the already hard-mode of picking the "good" path and supporting the rebels an even harder good path lmao but I imagine I'll still end up using quite a lot of spells in every playthrough, including that one. The spell creation system is so flexible, and I know just from conversation my Lore is going to be through the roof in most playthroughs so I might as well take advantage of that and have my Fatebinder at least buff and heal themselves if not sling a few spells here and there.