Skip to content

Obsidian and Paradox is up to something evil.

Comments

• MessiMessi Member Posts: 738
    There are couple screenshots at www.tyrannygame.com. Looks like a another isometric RPG which is good!

Also really intrigued by the playing evil aspect of the game. Hope they can pull it off well.
  • Sylvus_MoonbowSylvus_Moonbow Member Posts: 1,085
    I seriously read "tyrannygame" differently. lol. OMG!
  • proccoprocco Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 915

I seriously read "tyrannygame" differently. lol. OMG!

I'm sure the RPGCodex is going to have a field day with that....
  • CoM_SolaufeinCoM_Solaufein Member Posts: 2,607
    A let down I guess. I was hoping for Vampire the Masquerade game to be announced.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • YamchaYamcha Member Posts: 486
    A world where the battle good vs. evil was lost. (the game had me at that)
    And you're the guy working for the winning side.

Graphics looks similar to PoE
    Game offers lots of choices, the trademark of Obsidian games.

Not very much is known, but I think this one will be awesome.

Trailer:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yc-WqIRNDKY

Article on RPS:
    https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2016/03/16/oppressor-obsidian-rpg/
  • FardragonFardragon Member Posts: 4,511
    zzzz.....
  • YamchaYamcha Member Posts: 486
    Oh, there's already a topic about it :sweat_smile:

I hope they change their game engine for Tyranny, or at least do some much needed optimization. PoE looked great and all, but I get such a bad performance on my i5, Geforce960GTX, 12GB, SSD when other, more demanding games run much better.
    A quick google search yields that I'm not the only one with this issue.

Nevertheless, I can't wait to see and hear more about this :smile:
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,725
    edited March 2016
    The screenshots look like it's an another chapter in PoE or TToN ;)

I've merged the 2 threads about Tyranny, BTW.
    Post edited by JuliusBorisov on
    edited March 2016

Fardragon said:

The test seems more comedy-oriented than I'd expect something tied into White Wolf to be, but either way it did it's job and got me interested in what the announcement's going to be.

Maybe they are going to make a game out of all the humour they left out of PoE?
    Fat chance!

The game is called Tyranny. It's about "living in a world where evil won". Here's the trailer:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yc-WqIRNDKY
    It's a parody game, like Dungeon Keeper. The cartoonish graphics give that away. Expect tired old good-is-evil-and-evil-is-good jokes.
  • LadyRhianLadyRhian Member Posts: 14,694
    This game... I feel a sense of... EVIL about it. ;)
  • brunardobrunardo Member Posts: 526
    maybe a ravenloft game??
    brunardo said:

maybe a ravenloft game??

Unfortunately not.

[the anouncement confirms it's an original IP.]
  • KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    edited May 2016
    Anyone else has lately read the Tyranny Blog? Many interesting things were posted about this upcoming game there in the last couple of days.

Dev Diary #1 – The Vision for Tyranny talks about what they want to accomplish with its nuanced evil plotline. Thank the Overlord, for it won't force us to play Stupid Evil!

Dev Diary #2 – The Basic Game Systems is all about this game's mechanics: skills, attributes and character build progression makes this update perhaps the most interesting to some.
    The attributes are somewhat similar to PoE's, but different:
    • Might will thankfully *not* affect the damage/healing output from spells. Only raw muscle power.
    • Dexterity has been renamed into Finesse, but otherwise seems to fill the same role.
    • Perception was replaced with Quickness and, naturally, regulates the speed of characters.
    • Constitution has been renamed into Vitality. This attribute has become Tyranny's equal of D&D's Charisma.
    • Intelligence was renamed into Wits and controls now arcane potential.
    • Resolve became the attribute to endure physical and mental strains, apparently.

Last, but not least: Under New Management, the first amongst several coming short stories, was posted yesterday on the blog. Read it! It's always nice to have free novellas with "good" stories... :naughty:
  • GenderNihilismGirdleGenderNihilismGirdle Member Posts: 1,353
    I'm so looking forward to this game.
  • smeagolheartsmeagolheart Member Posts: 7,963
    edited July 2016
    MERLANCE said:

Tyranny. Thats the name at least. Evil won the war between good and evil. Was pretty vague otherwise.

Never mind.
  • lefreutlefreut Member Posts: 1,462
    edited November 2019
    Post edited by lefreut on
  • ButtercheeseButtercheese Member Posts: 3,766
    @Troodon80 and I ordered almost immediatly >.>
  • TStaelTStael Member Posts: 861
    I hope I do not appear either foolish or uninformed when I say that I fear Tyranny might be too uncompromising for those whom do not particularly enjoy cynical deeds in our gameplay.

I went and saw the pitch, and it all seemed about how uncompromising Tyranny would be...

• jjstraka34jjstraka34 Member Posts: 9,850
    I'm really impressed with how quickly they have come out with another fullly-fleshed out RPG in an original world after Pillars. The time from when I heard about this game to it's release seems lightning fast compared to say....Torment: Tides of Numenara.
  • BillyYankBillyYank Member Posts: 2,768

I'm really impressed with how quickly they have come out with another fullly-fleshed out RPG in an original world after Pillars. The time from when I heard about this game to it's release seems lightning fast compared to say....Torment: Tides of Numenara.

It makes me wonder if they used the same engine.
  • GenderNihilismGirdleGenderNihilismGirdle Member Posts: 1,353
    BillyYank said:

It makes me wonder if they used the same engine.
    I think they've said it's a modified PoE engine IIRC
  • megamike15megamike15 Member Posts: 2,666
    i may not be able to play this till next year. yeah it comes out around my bday but i'd rather wait for a price drop and plus still need to play poe.
  • IgnatiusReillyIgnatiusReilly Member Posts: 28
    edited October 2016
    While I respect Obsidian as a developer, I can't say I'm too enthusiastic about this. I'm utterly sick of "dark and gritty" fantasy worlds (for instance, I hated the Witcher games, and I regard them as an ecapsulation of everything I despise in modern fantasy).
  • KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    Personally I eagerly await playing Tyranny precisely because I adore the premise of its rather unique world setting. Never was a fan of little goody two-shoes plots and muscle heads (aka heroes) in shiny armor.

Although I do hope Tyranny will be more easy to mod than Pillars of Eternity. Like new races, for instance.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,725
    I'm unsure about it, to tell the truth. I followed closely the progress of PoE and played it. But the more I played it, the more I felt it wasn't the game I had thought it would be. So I can't look at the new game from Obsidian without that PoE aftertaste.

The fact this game has been in production for a relatively short time adds to my concerns.

I don't think the big amount of time TToN has taken is bad, it's actually because they want TToN to be as good as possible.