Skip to content

Why don't shields use character colors?

2»

Comments

• PhilhelmPhilhelm Member Posts: 473
    I think that it's safe to assume that the sort of people who would play a 20-year-old D&D game have heard of medieval heraldry. Regardless, heraldry doesn't justify, say, a red and gold character with a lime-green and purple shield; that's just hideous.
  • KilivitzKilivitz Member Posts: 1,459
    "You should find a new tailor, those clothes are ABSOLUTELY dreadful!"
  • BillyYankBillyYank Member Posts: 2,768
    Philhelm said:

I think that it's safe to assume that the sort of people who would play a 20-year-old D&D game have heard of medieval heraldry. Regardless, heraldry doesn't justify, say, a red and gold character with a lime-green and purple shield; that's just hideous.

Do you, sir, insult the honor of my Knight of San Francisco, who marches forth in the service of Lord Barney the dragonborn?!?
    edited March 2016
    BillyYank said:

Do you, sir, insult the honor of my Knight of San Francisco, who marches forth in the service of Lord Barney the dragonborn?!?

I'd just assume that you're a spoony bard with that getup, so I do insult you, sir.

And your BG2 shield and helm look ridiculous too. BG1 Flaming Fist helm (with matching plume) forever! Kagain's helm was tight too.

• DhariusDharius Member Posts: 654
    Why would a shield you find in the game happen to be the same colour as the clothes you wear? Would you have time to coordinate your wardrobe, or apply paint?
    Dharius said:

Why would a shield you find in the game happen to be the same colour as the clothes you wear? Would you have time to coordinate your wardrobe, or apply paint?

At "birth," I get to choose my race, gender, skin color, hair color, and physical and mental attributes, so painting a shield shouldn't be off the table.

• DhariusDharius Member Posts: 654
    Perhaps this should apply to weapons as well? Just so everything coordinates ;)
  • CamDawgCamDawg Member, Developer Posts: 3,438
    Only parts of helmets (wings, plumes) and shields (panels) default to the character major/minor colors if none is specified. Outside of those, if you don't specify a color for a weapon or armor or other bits of helmets/shields they just use a default metal/leather color as appropriate.

The top row is how it works for helmets and shields with colors specified and the bottom row without.
  • CamDawgCamDawg Member, Developer Posts: 3,438
    And FWIW, the latest beta of Tweaks Anthology has a component to do just this.