Skip to content

Why don't shields use character colors?

In the original version of the game, I recall that shields would use the primary color of your character. I even seem to recall similar color changes in an earlier version of BGEE, although it seemed a little buggy since the shield would revert to its default color every time it was removed and reequipped. The result was that I would have to "repaint" the character in order to get the shield to match.

It seems like that is not the case anymore, and it is a feature that I miss. With all of the different shields available, I like the aesthetic of a matching shield. I'm sure I'm not the only one who misses this feature. In any case, I'm curious as to why this changed.

Comments

• DJKajuruDJKajuru Member Posts: 3,300
    This is not actually hardcoded. Are you comfortable using Near infinity?

There's an item characteristic called "set color" which gives the shield a unique color for its trim,hub or panel, but if you delete it from the item properties it will be replaced by the character's color.

Since there aren't that many shields in the game I suppose you could do that manually with little effort.
  • DevardKrownDevardKrown Member Posts: 421
    Philhelm said:

In the original version of the game, I recall that shields would use the primary color of your character. I even seem to recall similar color changes in an earlier version of BGEE, although it seemed a little buggy since the shield would revert to its default color every time it was removed and reequipped. The result was that I would have to "repaint" the character in order to get the shield to match.

It seems like that is not the case anymore, and it is a feature that I miss. With all of the different shields available, I like the aesthetic of a matching shield. I'm sure I'm not the only one who misses this feature. In any case, I'm curious as to why this changed.

also helmets come to mind, miss matching armor Triggers my OCD ive gone sofar that i tested around for hours in EE Keeper looking for "endgear" that will Mix and Match , my End result is a Assassin mage in robe of Vecna and Kiels Buckler , both give the same color Tint.
  • ErgErg Member Posts: 1,756
    Philhelm said:

I'm curious as to why this changed.

This changed, because for some strange reason Beamdog thinks that taking away choices from the players and making the game less customisable than the originals is some kind of enhancement.

Another questionable change that nobody requested and that most people are going to negate by modding their own game. How sad.
  • TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,264
    Erg said:

Philhelm said:

This changed, because for some strange reason Beamdog thinks that taking away choices from the players and making the game less customisable than the originals is some kind of enhancement.
    I am sure that is not why. More likely it was done so that shields behaved the same way as other types of armor in terms of colors. Also, this kinda disproves your theory...
    Erg said:

...most people are going to negate by modding their own game.

I think "a few people" would be more accurate.
    Tresset said:

Also, this kinda disproves your theory...

Can you use this to change shield colours in-game?
  • SirBatinceSirBatince Member Posts: 882

I am very concerned about the crested helm always defaulting to red in BG1EE. In BG2EE it doesn't!

Everyone just looks the same in my games. That's no fun.

I guess I'm just going to import the BG2 variant for my new games.
  • CamDawgCamDawg Member, Developer Posts: 3,438
    Erg said:

This is from the integration of One Pixel Productions, and remains just as moddable in vanilla IE as the EEs.

To answer the original question, shields--on the paperdoll and in the game itself--either inherit their colors from the character, or set their own using a series of opcode 7s (set color) in the item file. 1PP adds and/or modifies a large number of shield graphics and consistently sets their colors instead of allowing player colors to bleed through. This change ensures the shield colors in-game and on the paperdoll will always match the item icon.
    CamDawg said:

This is from the integration of One Pixel Productions, and remains just as moddable in vanilla IE as the EEs.

Of course it is, but 1PP let the user choose whether they want this behaviour or not during installation, while the EE change the default behaviour without asking.
    CamDawg said:

remains just as moddable in vanilla IE as the EEs.

Yes, I know. That's why I said
    Erg said:

Another questionable change that nobody requested and that most people are going to negate by modding their own game. How sad.

However, there is no such mod for the EE yet. I can mod my own game if I want to, but not every player can write mods.
    Erg said:

CamDawg said:

remains just as moddable in vanilla IE as the EEs.

Yes, I know. That's why I said
    Erg said:

Your original claim, which you omit here, was:
    Erg said:

...that this change makes the game less customizable, which is not true, as you yourself acknowledge.

The rest is your opinion, and you're welcome to express it.

edited March 2016
    CamDawg said:

...that this change makes the game less customizable, which is not true, as you yourself acknowledge.

(Edit: This particular behaviour is) not less customisable for a modder (I said that myself "people are going to negate by modding"), but it's less customisable for standard players. They currently have no choice about that (unlike when installing the original 1PP on the IE).

After all, I said several time that incorporating by default (part of) 1PP with predefined choices is one of the biggest mistakes made by Beamdog.

Edit2: In other words, something like 1PP works better as a separate mod because it has so many options to choose from.
    Fair enough; we were talking past each other a bit. I read your 'less customizable/taking away choices' as 'hardcoded/not possible', but you mean it as 'there's not a mod for this yet'.
    CamDawg said:

Fair enough; we were talking past each other a bit. I read your 'less customizable/taking away choices' as 'hardcoded/not possible', but you mean it as 'there's not a mod for this yet'.

Yes, in this particular case, that's what I mean. Of course there are other things that really are currently
    CamDawg said:

'hardcoded/not possible'

in the EE: a recent example.
    edited March 2016
    ...which was done to fix a bug, yes. The same workarounds to get it to work in the original are available to make it not work in EE.
    CamDawg said:

...which was done to fix a bug

Bug fixing? It looks to me more like some kind of disproportionate therapy in which the cure is worse than the disease, or at the very least an unnecessary change if as you say
    CamDawg said:

The same workarounds to get it to work in the original are available to make it not work in EE.

Yet another reason for me to stick with the original games :smile:
    Erg said:

It looks to me more like some kind of disproportionate therapy in which the cure is worse than the disease

My view is grounded in a decade of Fixpack work (and authoring this specific fix to boot) but you are, as stated above, welcome to your opinion.
    CamDawg said:

My view is grounded in a decade of Fixpack work

That's your problem right there.

What works for the Fixpack as a separate mod doesn't necessarily work as direct fix to the game.

After all, people playing the original games are still free not to use the Fixpack, if they don't want to.

For example, some people (not me) still prefer the older Baldurdash, because even if it contains less fixes it doesn't change too much the original game. Others prefer to play without any fixpack at all, especially those doing speed runs or wanting to use every single exploit (e.g. spells that stack, etc.)

Last time, I was personally playing BG2, on purpose, without the beta core fixes. Can you do that on the EEs?

My point is that the Fixpack is optional and there are alternatives, unlike your bug fixing in the EEs. For me, it is still a matter of choices and, in a very broad sense, customisability.
    I was specifically addressing your comment about the II fix being worse than the disease, but have at it.
  • TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,264
    Erg said:

Tresset said:

No, but that wasn't really my point... I was making a counterpoint to what you said here:
    Erg said:

...for some strange reason Beamdog thinks that taking away choices from the players and making the game less customisable than the originals is some kind of enhancement.

The base character colors are now clearly more customizable than they ever were, even in vanilla. This was done by Beamdog. Therefore it follows that Beamdog does not think that making the game less customizable is an enhancement. In fact it would appear more that they think making the game more customizable is an enhancement. I honestly hope you weren't being serious when you said the above, because it is so blatantly obvious to practically any modder that it is not true. I can't even begin to list how many things they have externalized in the EEs.

*shrug* You are, of course, entitled to your opinion, but if you want to go around saying silly and untrue things then you should expect that people are going to call you out on it.
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811
    Erg said:

Philhelm said:

Can you please explain to me how choice is being taken away when from the first merchant you have 3 shield colour choices to choose from, when what you are proposing, limits the choice to a single colour, that was already predetermined on character creation?

Why offer 3 different shields in the shop if they all get reset to the same colour in the game?
    edited March 2016
    Tresset said:

Erg said:

Tresset said:

No
    Then it doesn't disprove anything.
    Tresset said:

The base character colors are now clearly more customizable than they ever were, even in vanilla. This was done by Beamdog. Therefore it follows that Beamdog does not think that making the game less customizable is an enhancement. In fact it would appear more that they think making the game more customizable is an enhancement. I honestly hope you weren't being serious when you said the above, because it is so blatantly obvious to practically any modder that it is not true. I can't even begin to list how many things they have externalized in the EEs.

*shrug* You are, of course, entitled to your opinion, but if you want to go around saying silly and untrue things then you should expect that people are going to call you out on it.

That's Beamdog: one change forward and ten changes backward. And yes, despite all the externalisation, overall the EEs are still less customisable than the original games.
    deltago said:

Can you please explain to me how choice is being taken away when from the first merchant you have 3 shield colour choices to choose from, when what you are proposing, limits the choice to a single colour, that was already predetermined on character creation?

Why offer 3 different shields in the shop if they all get reset to the same colour in the game?

I will gladly explain.

In the original game the shield colour is based on the character colour, so it is not fixed, but it can be changed in-game at any time. You can practically choose any colour you like for your shield at any time.

Moreover, people that prefers the other behaviour, i.e. the one currently implemented in the EEs, can have it also in the original game by simply installing 1PP and choosing the corresponding option during installation.

With the original game, the player choose how the shields behave.

With the EEs, Beamdog is making the choice on how the shields behave, instead of the player, and by changing the default vanilla behaviour to one that restricts player options as you can't change the colour of the shield in-game anymore.
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    Personally I'd love to see a shield added to the game that keeps the player's colors. That was something I appreciated in the original game, which I didn't like as much in BGII, and which I'd like to see return as an additional option.
  • SkatanSkatan Member, Moderator Posts: 5,352
    I would prefer to have all the shields purple.
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811
    Erg said:

deltago said:

I will gladly explain.

In the original game the shield colour is based on the character colour, so it is not fixed, but it can be changed in-game at any time. You can practically choose any colour you like for your shield at any time.
    Not really. I can not have a black shield with a crimson red tunic this way. Only a red shield and red tunic. Which limits a characters appearance.

And you are telling me I should install or create a mod, but players who want the same on same colour shouldn't have to? You argued against this point to get the simple change that you wanted.

And no. Players never chose how the shields behaved. It actually gave the player false choice. Here are 3 shields for you to choose from, but that choice doesn't matter because all three will look the same once equipped.
    edited March 2016
    deltago said:

I can not have a black shield with a crimson red tunic this way

Yes, in vanilla the original game you can. In fact,
    deltago said:

And you are telling me I should install ... a mod ... ?

Yes, I'm telling you to install 1PP. If you don't, it's your loss. Suit yourself.

Edit: edited for clarity.
  • BillyYankBillyYank Member Posts: 2,768
    Why would a shield change color just because I picked it up? That doesn't make sense.
  • PhilhelmPhilhelm Member Posts: 473
    BillyYank said:

Why would a shield change color just because I picked it up? That doesn't make sense.

It also doesn't make sense for my character to run around the Sword Coast looking like a rainbow just puked on him. I never liked the overly designed BG2 shields to begin with, but some of them are particularly dreadful without any color control. I'm at the point that I'll compromise by taking a weaker shield if it looks acceptable on my character.

BillyYank said:

Also having half a dozen full plate armours and shields inside your backpack doesn't make any sense, but this is an RPG game, not real life simulator :smile:
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    You mean you don't walk around with suits of armor tucked in your pockets? Now who's the weird one. ;)
  • wubblewubble Member Posts: 3,156
    Philhelm said:

It also doesn't make sense for my character to run around the Sword Coast looking like a rainbow just puked on him.

Actually, shields were historically very colourful so that people could identify who the soldier behind the shield was. Soldier's would display their lord's colours on their shield and the higher ranking knights would have their own heraldry. Shields in norman times would have a painted canvas front that not only identified the soldier but protected the wood of the shield.

Nobles would also wear the brightest colours they could afford in order to display their wealth to everyone as darker and brighter inks (blacks, reds and blues) were very expensive . Unless they were an earl or something, in which case everyone knew how rich and powerful they were anyway.