Skip to content

Potential solutions to an aggro Aran Linvail in Chapter 3

Forever ago, I took out Renal Bloodscalp for his boots of speed using the feeblemind trick to reduce everyone on his floor to slobbering fools. Then, I exited with my cheesy boots and completed quite a few quests in Chapter 3, including quite a bit of Watchers Keep. Now, as I attempt to complete the main story, I've found that everyone in the Thieves Guild is aggro, including Aran Linvail.

I just completed the docks quest of protecting the shipment from Bodhi. I started the Thieves quest line forever ago to obtain the amulet of power early. Is there any way that I can avoid having to reload a very old save and repeat many of the quests that I have already finished?

I have attempted to use the Console commands to take out Arkanis Gath and his instant kills but with a red circle around Aran, I have no recourse.
I have tried spawning Bodhi using the Console but she simply chastises me for joining the Thieves Guild and runs away.
Finally, I have tried summoning the mage to open the door to Bodhi's lair but I cannot seem to get him to spawn with console commands.

Please pitch any ideas that you have. I'll try any and all of them and leave updates here. I am fine switching over to Bodhi's side, doing other cheesy things, using the console, I'd even be fine skipping portions of this quest (though I am afraid that I might mess up more of the main quest), so long as I can get around this inability to play the main quest without having to repeat 20 hours of game play.

Comments

• TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,264
    Er... that is not likely to be an easy situation to fix, even for someone like me. I would probably need to go into NI and edit each and every creature in the areas of the guild to be non hostile and then do some usual global variable messing with. Not something I would recommend attempting yourself if you don't know what you are doing. I have been known to fix things like this for people, but this particular task is so daunting that I am not sure I want to make an offer to fix it. It would probably be easiest to start a new game.

My advice for next time is C:CreateItem("boot01") if you absolutely must have the boots. So much easier than the edits I would have to do to reverse a hostile thieve's guild.
  • somethingsnazzysomethingsnazzy Member Posts: 6
    @Tresset

Is it weird that I'd rather cheese by using things given to us by the developers (e.g. feeblemind) over simply generating an item? Anyway, lesson learned. I might try simply exporting and reimporting my characters into my previous save and then just avoid repeating quests that I did in the interim. This should fix the issue, right? With no real issues other than the ability to double up on side quests?

I read elsewhere that the whole guild aggro'ing on sight of you is dependent on Arkanis Gath (the insta kill guy) being aggro and that you could potentially deaggro him by baiting him outside. I will try that when I get home from work and update
  • matricematrice Member Posts: 86
    you can try killing everyone but aran, and then change aran into neutral again
  • MoonheartMoonheart Member Posts: 520
    Renal has boot of speed?

Why didn't I side with Bodhi :(
  • sansserifsansserif Member Posts: 125
    Moonheart said:

Renal has boot of speed?

Why didn't I side with Bodhi :(

For some reason, I could not find Renal anymore after I joined up with Bodhi. I acquired 5 boots through the course of the game, though. And an amulet of cheetah speed and grandmasters armor that gives the same speed bonus.
  • MoonheartMoonheart Member Posts: 520
    Well, you can always kill Renal before go see Bodhi, if it is the main problem ;)
  • somethingsnazzysomethingsnazzy Member Posts: 6
    Okay I found a solution. Setting global variables on Aran did not seem to work. It kept spawning Arkanis Gath (who would one hit me) and Aran kept aggroing. I tried spawning him elsewhere and setting him to neutral. Also, bringing him (or Arkanis) into your party before kicking him seemed to work great for pacifying him but led to some weird issues where Aran would disappear after I kicked him out (and he seemed so sad being kicked from our glorious adventure).

So, ultimately, the solution was to side with Bodhi. I used

http://www.sorcerers.net/community/index.php?threads/bodhi-error-cant-take-or-leave-her-offer.58193/

as a guide to set some of her variables and ultimately switch over to her side. We teleported through the door to her lair but the lair was empty, so we had to spawn her as well. We might have been able to spawn her anywhere but we stuck to the lair to avoid more issues. We also had to spawn the dock package, as we had already completed this quest for the Thieves Guild. Interestingly, the Thieves Guild gave us no problem after this. We already had the key and as soon as we started Bodhi's side, Arkanis Gath stopped appearing to one hit us into oblivion.