Skip to content

Restore Proficiency Modifier functionality

DemivrgvsDemivrgvs Member Posts: 315
Opcode 233 could not decrement the available proficiency points back in vanilla games but it does now within EE. Is there a reason for the change you did?

I widely used that feature, for example to make a spellcaster proficient, specialized, etc. with a conjured weapon (e.g. Flame Blade, Spiritual Hammer, Phantom Blade, BBoD, etc.), or to make a Fighter proficient in all weapons at a certain level.

Comments

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • kjeronkjeron Member Posts: 2,367

Vanilla behavior: Opcode 233 could only SET the proficiency level of a proficiency. But it functioned with a floor - if someone with Grandmastery in hammers equipped a spiritual hammer with an equipping effect setting hammer proficiency to Specialization, the equipping effect would essentially be ignored and the character would retain grandmastery.

In other words when there are two competing 233 effects, the one with the higher value would win out.

EE behavior: this opcode can either SET or INCREMENT the character's proficiency. I have not investigated whether you can use a negative value in order to decrement the value, but for purposes of this thread we don't care; Demi is only concerned with the SET functionality.

In the EEs, this will override the character's proficiencies, and the item described above would REDUCE him from Grandmastery to Specialization.

In other words when there are two competing 233 effects, the more recent one wins out.

There is more to it actually, in the EE's and maybe in vanilla.
    A "While Equipped" effect does not have priority over Proficiencies applied to a character(through level up or spell), whether it is higher or lower. So that hammer would not lower the characters proficiency from grandmastery as long as the effect was on the hammer itself and not a part of the spell, but it would also not increase proficiency to specialization either.

The more recent wins out only when they are both from the same type of source (equipped or spell).

I have not investigated whether you can use a negative value in order to decrement the value,

You can, but there is no bounds checking, so you don't want to use it on someone who has zero proficiency in that weapon.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • GrammarsaladGrammarsalad Member Posts: 2,582
    Completely agree with the request, but I'm wondering if this should be requested in redmine(?)