Skip to content

"Fast mode" for infinity engine games

O_BruceO_Bruce Member Posts: 2,790
Hi everyone. I would like to kindly ask the developer team to consider implementing the fast/speed up mode for the games outside of combat. It could work in similar way to one implemented in Pillars of Eternity.

Why would I want that:
1 - Traveling long distances shouldn't feel like a chore.
2 - Especially in areas we already explored
3 - If your party member gets stunned, confused etc. during a combat, and that combat ends, you have to just sit there and wait for said member to get well again. Sure, you can dispel it, but there are circumstances that may prevent that (low level, you already used the dispel magic, the one with remove paralysis is actually paralyzed etc.)
4 - Waiting for spells like Web or Sticking Cloud to end is basically a waste of time.

Those are reasons I ask for that.
JuliusBorisovGrammarsaladOlvynChuruacdha

Comments

• DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    It could work in similar way to one implemented in Pillars of Eternity.
    Can you be more specific? How would you want it to work and look when it's in use?
  • O_BruceO_Bruce Member Posts: 2,790
    @Dee
    It would be on/off mechanics. When pressing a key (or button in the interface for mobile users) binded for it, the entire game is doubled in speed. Your walking speed, NPCs walking speed, the time speeds twice as fast etc. You could turn the mechanic off with the same button/key as you turned it on. The speed mode will automatically turn off when engaging in combat or during cutscenes.
  • GrammarsaladGrammarsalad Member Posts: 2,582
    Another possibility is that you can set it to be on at all times, except during combat.

That is, all speeds are doubled, but as soon as combat begins, speeds return to normal
  • kjeronkjeron Member Posts: 2,367
    So an in-game toggle or slider for framerate?
    kjeron said:

So an in-game toggle or slider for framerate?

No. Rather "Double game speed" on/off. Also, it wouldn't work during battle or in cutscenes.
    O_Bruce said:

No. Rather "Double game speed" on/off. Also, it wouldn't work during battle or in cutscenes.

Frame Rate is Game Speed.
    kjeron said:

Frame Rate is Game Speed.

In your terms: I don't want in game slider for framerate. I want option to double framerate on and off. I don't need neither nor I want to set the exact value in the slider.
    O_Bruce said:

In your terms: I don't want in game slider for framerate. I want option to double framerate on and off. I don't need neither nor I want to set the exact value in the slider.

Which is what I was trying to imply: an (on/off) toggle or (pause/half/normal/double) slider.
    Since we already have an on-screen on/off button for pause, it would be the ideal place to add such a feature, either by splitting it into several buttons or a slider.
    @kjeron
    Apologies, I misunderstood you. I was convinced you meant the slider with exact value of framerate displayed (and thus, abillity to not pick only half/normal/double rate, but also exact rate, like 37, 54, 22 etc.). I wanted to avoid that and prevent from using the term FPS, since gamer nowadays have fixation on number on FPS, and thus could be surprised that increasing the ammount wouldn't result in smoother animation, but on overall game speed instead.

Hence, I've thought that "fast mode" ON/OFF option would be optimal. Easy to implement in both PC and mobile versions.