Skip to content

I'm not very happy finding out the mods will have problems with the DVD versions of both games.

KaliestoKaliesto Member Posts: 282
edited March 2016 in General Modding
I really didn't see that coming. Is there a way to fix this currently? Also will 2.0 patch will even work for BG1, and BG2?

Comments

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • KaliestoKaliesto Member Posts: 282
    Supposedly the file path structure on the DVD versions is different than the digital versions, and it creates havoc for mods. This was a discussion on another topic, and I wanted clarification on what the poster meant. Also there is talk of the 2.0 patch might not be available for certain versions of BG:EE?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited March 2016
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • AbelAbel Member Posts: 785
    He may be talking about old physical editions of BG.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited March 2016
    Kaliesto wrote: »
    Supposedly the file path structure on the DVD versions is different than the digital versions, and it creates havoc for mods.

I didn't even know there were DVD versions... in any event all mods care about is 1) where is chitin.key, and 2) where is dialog.tlk. But, I haven't heard of Weidu having any problems with file structure since ~2 years ago.

EDIT - just googled "bgee dvd" and not a single result. The whole premise of this sounds suspicious...

There are BGEE DVD's (attached are some really poorly taken pictures of my BGEE dvd that I just took).

essxbksblj7t.jpg

5ik0o7a0ufvm.jpg
  • AbelAbel Member Posts: 785
    How is this version any different than the digital one, anyway?
  • dunbardunbar Member Posts: 1,603
    @subtledoctor This is what I wrote in the thread about physical versions on Amazon:

I'm not sure if this is relevant but I recently had to re-install everything onto a new computer after my old one died. I started from scratch with BG and only installed my Deep Silver versions of the games. When I then tried to install the XP cap remover and DbG I noticed that the game folders and files are named/arranged differently in the DS versions and these two mods wouldn't work. I managed to get the XP cap remover to work by creating an override folder, but when I finally got DbG to run (in what I thought was the right folder) it just caused the game to crash and I had to uninstall/reinstall.

What I'm getting at is that a patch that works for downloaded versions of the game might not work for DS versions if it can't find the right files to fix.

Edit: The problem might be that DS creates some of the game folders in 'My Documents' rather than in 'Program Files (x86)'.

Post edited by dunbar on March 17
  • CamDawgCamDawg Member, Developer Posts: 3,438
    Having read the thread that @Kaliesto is worried about, I believe the mod issues raised were more about installing the game in a Program Files directory than the different file structure.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited March 2016
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Over yonder. The upshot of it is that one player had an issue with crashes after installing DBG, but I find it more likely that it was installing in Program Files rather than any difference between the DVD and digital versions.
    OK, having dug around the remnants of my old hard drive the most obvious difference that I can see is that my digital versions downloaded the whole game into one folder in Program Files (x86) i.e.:
    ProgramFiles(x86), Steam, Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition, then all the subfolders.

The Deep Silver discs however install into two different created locations, namely:

ProgramFiles(x86), Deep Silver, Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition, then the following sub folders: data, lang, manuals, movies, music, scripts.
    AND
    Documents, Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition, then the following subfolders: characters, save, baldur (ini), jingle (log).

What the significance of this is, if any, I have no idea as I'm not remotely computer literate.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    dunbar wrote: »
    OK, having dug around the remnants of my old hard drive the most obvious difference that I can see is that my digital versions downloaded the whole game into one folder in Program Files (x86) i.e.:
    ProgramFiles(x86), Steam, Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition, then all the subfolders.

The Deep Silver discs however install into two different created locations, namely:

ProgramFiles(x86), Deep Silver, Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition, then the following sub folders: data, lang, manuals, movies, music, scripts.
    AND
    Documents, Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition, then the following subfolders: characters, save, baldur (ini), jingle (log).

What the significance of this is, if any, I have no idea as I'm not remotely computer literate.

With the exception of where it is installed within program files (it gets installed in the Deep Silver folder instead of the Beamdog folder) that doesn't sound any different than what you would get if you owned the game via Beamdog.com
    I would like to try to install DbG again if someone can tell me the correct path I have to type in when the prompt comes up - normally it just says "programme will install in......whatever" and I just press OK, but with DbG the message comes back "cannot find.....whatever".

Then I can feedback on whether it works or not.
  • ErgErg Member Posts: 1,756
    nobody should be installing the game in a Program Files or other official directory. Windows will mess you up. Install it in c:\games\ or someplace like that.

Technically, it is possible to install games, including BG:EE, in Program Files without experiencing any problem, at least in Windows XP and 7 (I haven't tried in 8 and 10), but you need to take additional steps to ensure that everything will work fine, so I would recommend it only for power users.

For everyone else @subtledoctor advice is a sound one.
    @Erg But......Deep Silver installed automatically in my Program Files - where should I move it to, or what steps should I take to make sure it works OK?
    dunbar wrote: »
    But......Deep Silver installed automatically in my Program Files - where should I move it to, or what steps should I take to make sure it works OK?

The easiest way is doing what @subtledoctor says, i.e. uninstall the game, create a folder called Games directly in the root of your hard drive (e.g. C:\Games) and reinstall there.

In Windows 10 it may be required to install under something like "My Documents\Games" instead, because it is even more restrictive.
    Erg wrote: »
    In Windows 10 it may be required to install under something like "My Documents\Games" instead, because it is even more restrictive.

I have several games installed in c:\games in Windows 10 and never had any problems.
    CamDawg wrote: »
    I have several games installed in c:\games in Windows 10 and never had any problems.

Good to know. That was something I read somewhere, but I don't have Windows 10 myself.
  • ThelsThels Member Posts: 1,416
    Windows 10 ain't more restrictive about that than Windows 7 was. You just don't install stuff in Program Files if you want to mod them later. Install them in C:\Games, or in D:\, and you'll be totally fine.

@dunbar It's not about reinstalling the mod, but about reinstalling the entire game. Since your saves are in my documents, they should remain, but it may be safe to back them up just because. If you install in C:\Games or in D:\ or E:\ (which I highly recommend if you use an SSD and a regular HDD, as BG doesn't exactly benefit from the SSD), you should have more luck applying the mods.

That said, I wonder if and how you are able to get the SoD expansion with a Disk version of the base game...
    edited March 2016
    Thanks everyone for your advice.

@Thels Can I create a new Games folder in my C drive and simply cut and paste my existing installation into that, or would that just be too easy?

P.S. I'm wondering the same thing about SoD.
    You know how you ca tell someone owns a Mac?
    Look, if you follow any tech problem like this long enough, eventually the answer we'll get to is "use a Mac" so I'll just skip to that.
    (alsogetamac)
    Ha yeah Windows 10 is like caffeine in 7-up: "never had it, never will.
    They'll tell you.
    @dunbar: You can try. It actually has a decent chance of working like that. If it doesn't work, you can always reinstall after.
  • smady3smady3 Member Posts: 48
    They'll tell you.

The sad thing is, that was a lie - my next laptop won't support Win7 on Boot Camp, so I'm going to have to get Win10. :(
    http://cdn.meme.am/instances/19946558.jpg
  • AstroBryGuyAstroBryGuy Member Posts: 3,437
    edited March 2016
    Ha yeah Windows 10 is like caffeine in 7-up: "never had it, never will."

/dated
    Yeah, and then there was 7Up Gold.
    You know how you ca tell someone owns a Mac?
    Look, if you follow any tech problem like this long enough, eventually the answer we'll get to is "use a Mac" so I'll just skip to that.
    (alsogetamac)
    They'll tell you.
    The last one could apply to lots of Windows users. I know plenty who think Windows peaked with XP or 7.
    @Thels Cutting and pasting the Deep Silver folders into a newly created Games folder worked and DbG is now installed and running perfectly - it really was that simple.
    @dunbar Nice to know.