Skip to content

Stealing - sometimes work, others not.

naggertnaggert Member Posts: 65
Hi...

So I'm really confused. I recently had a full playthrough of the game. And as you can see here I was able to rob the adventures mart blind:
http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/548683314707961274/5C277BA5F359E10A627420C65446F07F8B1E6FB4/

http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/548683314708011081/E00FB7A6385D964E3682F6CFC0B594C1F3FCC726/

Now a few weeks later, I can't...
I made a new game. New party, but old imported characters from BG1EE and previous games of BG2EE.
http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/528418381432087444/C523E57441896278F9063082A2770BB3ED50657E/

Does anyone know why?
The only difference I can think of, is my main PC being a Cavalier this time around, and not a Swashbuckler.

Thanks in advance
Post edited by naggert on

Comments

• JarrakulJarrakul Member Posts: 2,029
    It looks like you're playing the 2.0 beta, yes? I'm guessing it was a bug that you could steal from the Adventurer's Mart in the first place. I don't believe you could steal from it in the vanilla game.
  • bleusteelbleusteel Member Posts: 523
    Only thief and thief sub-classes should be able to steal. Try choosing a thief.
  • thelovebatthelovebat Member Posts: 218
    This doesn't look like something I've seen from BG1. Wouldn't the BG2 forum be a more appropriate place for this?
  • naggertnaggert Member Posts: 65
    edited March 2016
    @ Jarrakul - Yes. I'm playing the beta BG2EE lastest beta patch..
    Both games was in the same version of the beta. First screenshots were from last week, latest screenshot was from today.

@ bleusteel - I'm using the Swashbuckler.

@ thelovebat - Oh I must have missclicked. I moved the thread. Thanks for telling me.
    I might want to add, that I can steal from other NPC's.
    Like the black market vendor at the thiefs guild...
  • DurenasDurenas Member Posts: 508
    Looking at the STO files in near infinity it pretty clearly shows that the adventurer's mart cannot be stolen from.
    Thank you Amberion!
    I kept telling people it wasnt possible. That's actually why I uploaded those screenshots in the first place - to prove my point.
    It must have been a bug the first time around then.

Thanks again.
  • lunarlunar Member Posts: 3,460
    edited March 2016
    Uhh..it seems they have changed the steal interface in the beta?
    And yes, adventurer mart is supposed to be unstealable. The guard at the entrance even says it so.
  • TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,264
    Yeah, it was a bug that was fixed.
  • RedWizardRedWizard Member Posts: 242
    Stealing works like this: every shopkeeper has a certain value that you need to be above in order to have a chance of stealing. If your pickpocket value is high enough to surpass it by 100, then you will have 100% chance no matter how many times you steal. (In BG2 ~240 is the highest you need to steal from Copper Coronet at 100% rate)
    Pickpocketing from actual npcs though it's different. In this case you can fail no matter your score, possibly from rolling 1.
    So in the end it's actually far safer to steal from stores if you don't enjoy reloading.
    @ RedWizard
    Thanks. I know the mechanics behind it.
    I could however steal from Adventures Mart Monday a fortnight ago. 3 days later the "steal" button was gone... Apparently it was a big and apparently it was fixed.
  • cling09cling09 Member Posts: 2
    is EE still able to steal from vendor? WTF is beamdog, bugs everywhere
    Install the newest version and it's fixed. You can only steal from certain vendors.
  • Diomedes33Diomedes33 Member Posts: 144
    Find a rogue stone. Sell it to the shop, then steal it. Repeat 100 times for 1500x100 gold.

Find a rogue stone. Sell it to the shop, then steal it. Repeat 100 times for 1500x100 gold.

That's the dumbest thing I've heard in a while. Roguestones are first of all, hard to find. Secondly stealing the same item 100 times for mere 1.500 gold...
    You're better off passing by copper coronet, stealing the most valurable items he has. Going to thiefs guild, sell, steal. Rince and repeat a few times.
    Then back to Waukeens Promonade and BUY the most expensive thing you can find. Like Plate of Balduran.
    Then back to Thiefs guild, sell, steal etc.

You can easily have 500.000 gold this way within the first 15 minutes of escaping from Castle de Irenicus...