Skip to content

Good damage meele ( dual class ) character for coop walkthrough

thebestkickassthebestkickass Member Posts: 1
edited March 2016 in New Players (NO SPOILERS!)
Hello, I want to create a good dual class character to play with my friends in coop. I've never used dual or multiclass before so im not sure what to try. Ive googled, there are ton of results and all are confusing, since it seems that BG 2 EE had some rework on the classes. Im looking for a good damage melee character, while I know fighter is like the obv choice, some said kensai is the best, others said wizard slayer. Im kinda lost out here lol.
Post edited by thebestkickass on

Comments

• FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    Why do you want a dual class? What do you want to dual into?
  • abacusabacus Member Posts: 1,307
    Also, which game? Bg1 or 2?

Wizard Slayer for instance is only usually d/c'd into Thief in BG2, to exploit a High Level Ability which can overcome its limitations.

Other d/cs can still be effective at lower levels.
  • JarrakulJarrakul Member Posts: 2,029
    Berserker is the best fighter kit for general purposes, and the one with the least glaring weaknesses. I'd default to berserker unless you have a specific reason to choose kensai, wizard slayer, or vanilla fighter.
    sarevok57
  • sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    Jarrakul wrote: »
    Berserker is the best fighter kit for general purposes, and the one with the least glaring weaknesses. I'd default to berserker unless you have a specific reason to choose kensai, wizard slayer, or vanilla fighter.

a berserker with a two handed weapon, and be a half orc as well, not only can you wear all the pretty heavy armors but you will kick some serious butt right off the get go :)

kansasbarbarian
  • Clumsy_DwarfClumsy_Dwarf Member Posts: 112
    Starting out with a Ranger and changing over to a Cleric is not bad if you can reserve the Flail of Ages and The Defender of Easthaven to dual wield. Extra party healing (especially up front for melee), buffs, control, as well as fairly good damage makes it something to consider.
  • mashedtatersmashedtaters Member Posts: 2,266
    It depends on what you're trying to accomplish in your role-playing experience. What role are you trying to fill with your friends? Tank/healer/blaster/utility/other? There is a dual class combo to fill almost any role you can imagine.

I personally loved dual-classing a plain fighter to cleric at level 9, and attaining grandmastery in hammers and slings.

You're right, there are hundreds of different guides out there for dual classing. In general, most people dual from a fighter, kitted (kensai/berserker being the most common) or nonkitted, to a Mage or cleric or thief at warrior level 7 or 9, and some even go as far as 13 (I do not recommend this for a new player). Level 9 is my preference. Many also dual from a thief to a Mage, although you already have Imoen for that.

Multiclass are often much easier to manage for a new player because the game takes care of everything for you. A multiclass character can fill a similar role as any dual class combination. Multi and dual class play a bit differently from each other. Some dual class characters are simply more powerful when played in a similar style as its multiclass counterpart, but certain multiclass combos can easily compete with dual class characters.
  • CaptRoryCaptRory Member Posts: 1,660
    To suggest a combo that is less common (since I think everyone else has covered the important stuff) a Swashbuckler (which is a thief kit) is sort of a fighter/thief to begin with. If you dual that to another class you get a really beefy character with thief skills.

Like you get most of the benefits of a thief, a few of the benefits of a fighter, then can progress as a Fighter or a Mage or a Cleric.. You lose out on Sneak Attack but can focus your skills on opening locks and disarming traps. You'll probably want to get 100 in both of those skills (plus get three ranks in Two Weapon Fighting if you're wanting to dual wield as a cleric or fighter) and take at least 5 levels to get some of the Swashie Bonuses.
    mashedtaters
  • Dradeel_rulesDradeel_rules Member Posts: 25
    kensai dualed to a thief is just insane on later levels(epic backstabs and when you get Use any item with thief it becomes close to cheesing), so for melee, I would go with that.