Skip to content

Looking for help on BG1.

odessa333odessa333 Member Posts: 59
edited September 2012 in Windows PC (Archive)

Hi all!

I'll admit, I'm not sure if this is the place to ask, but if it isn't, I'm not sure where to look.

With the BGEE delay, I dusted off my old copy of BG to try to hold me over. I have the old school version with five disks and Totsc disk as well. I doubt i've played it in over ten years, so yea, I'm excited. Only I'm running into a lot of glitches. I have a 50/50 shot of loading a new area, and attempting to manually save the game crashes the system nearly every time (auto saves seem to work fine though).

Pardon me while I pretend to know what I'm talking about... I think I need a patch or a fix of some kind, but I couldn't tell what was needed if my life depended on it. Could someone recommend some help to a computer idiot?

Also, not sure if i'm pushing my luck here, but with the BGEE being a download, does that mean I could put the entire game onto my PC and not need to change disks every few minutes? That would be nice. Any one know?

Comments

• 1) After installing TOTSC did you hunt down the latest official patch?

2) That is absolutely what it means, the game will run start to finish with no disc swapping (since it will not be on a disk) and with all of the upgrades there will be far shorter load-screens between area transitions.
  • Troodon80Troodon80 Member, Developer Posts: 4,110
    Actually, that is exactly what I did, too. It took me a while to find the box.

When you say that you have a 50/50 chance of loading a new area, does that apply to buildings? I've only just started off a new game. I'm on v1.3.5521, and after going in and out of Candlekeep Inn some 20 times, it hasn't crashed.

What version of the game are you running? What is your OS, graphics card, RAM, and HDD (over 2TB, or SSD, etc)?

So far I haven't had any problems with crashing, but I've only really just started again. The only problem I've had is the graphics, which isn't really a problem. Just the unexplored areas of the map look a little off.
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447

1) After installing TOTSC did you hunt down the latest official patch?

2) That is absolutely what it means, the game will run start to finish with no disc swapping (since it will not be on a disk) and with all of the upgrades there will be far shorter no load-screens between area transitions.

Fixed that for you.
  • PeiskosPeiskos Member Posts: 1
    edited October 2012
    Hello!

I did the same thing, just yesterday. Was looking through some boxes I stashed away 8 years ago, and stumbled upon 5 glorious disks of Baldur's Gate. Excited about this I installed it on my computer, and played for hours without ANY issues. Today, I have the exact same issues as you, odessa. The game crashed almost every time I try to manually save, and some times with auto-save too.

How can I fix this?

Graphics card: .... I don't know, but my laptop has a sticker that says RADEON graphics HD 7670M 1gb, and another sticker that says AMD radeon DUAL graphics. Is that it?
    RAM: 8gb

I don't have a TOTSC disk.... do I need it?
    Post edited by Peiskos on
  • moody_magemoody_mage Member Posts: 2,054
    Windows 7 may gripe about the game being installed in what it regards as system folders. Best to reinstall the game somewhere else like;

C:\RPG\BG1

Always a good place to install new games.

You don't need TOTSC if you have no intention to play any of the TOTSC content. You will need to patch your game though if you are playing it out of the box, TOTSC or no TOTSC - patches can be found below;

http://www.blackwyrmlair.net/patches.php

Hope that helps.