Skip to content

Your favorite GUI, BG1 or BG2 ?

KerozevokKerozevok Member Posts: 695
edited September 2012 in Archive (General Discussion)
I know there's a lot of fans of BG1 on this forum (BGEE = BG1), but by curiosity, what's your favorite GUI ?
  1. Your favorite GUI, BG1 or BG2 ?116 votes
    1. Greystone of BG1 for ever !
      44.83%
    2. Wood & leather of BG2 of course !
      55.17%

Comments

• AdulAdul Member Posts: 2,002
    Tutu has a cool BG1 GUI though, as a separate mod made by LadeJarl. It looks really great, like playing BG1 except some of the menu screens look even better. (More detail, additional space added to larger resolutions, etc.)

http://www.pocketplane.net/mambo/index.php?option=content&task=blogcategory&id=134&Itemid=94
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    I didn't like the stone as much, only because the contrast wasn't strong enough on a lot of the buttons. I do like stone in general, though, and probably more than I like the leather in BG2.
  • EleutherosEleutheros Member Posts: 70
    BG2. But perhaps that is because I started out with that game. It took a few tries to get really into BG1, but once I got to Nashkel it was done...
  • JaxsbudgieJaxsbudgie Member Posts: 600
    Kerozevok said:
    Ugh, why are there leaves in the shapes of butterflies!?
  • QuartzQuartz Member Posts: 3,853
    edited September 2012
    Adul said:

Tutu has a cool BG1 GUI though, as a separate mod made by LadeJarl. It looks really great, like playing BG1 except some of the menu screens look even better. (More detail, additional space added to larger resolutions, etc.)

http://www.pocketplane.net/mambo/index.php?option=content&task=blogcategory&id=134&Itemid=94

That's a really cool mod. Thanks for posting that!
  • MajocaMajoca Member Posts: 263
    no! how can the baldurs gate 2 GUI have more votes, I just cannot comprehend :P
  • SolobearSolobear Member Posts: 55
    Icewind Dale 2
  • AnduinAnduin Member Posts: 5,745
    I think this is gonna be close... Look. Niether GUI made or broke the game for me. It was just background. Gameplay is the real dealbreaker surely?
  • AlkaluropsAlkalurops Member Posts: 269
    Icewind Dale II with Baldur's Gate 2 button configuration would be great.
  • g314g314 Member Posts: 201
    The best one is usually the first you played with. BG2 takes too much out of the original BG1 'magic' (including location art), IMHO.
  • SensukiSensuki Member Posts: 19
    edited September 2012
    BG1, but I do like the IWD2 UI as well.

edit: played BG1 first :P in 1999.
    Post edited by Sensuki on
  • KerozevokKerozevok Member Posts: 695
    The difference between BG1 & BG2 widens...
  • cyberhawkcyberhawk Member Posts: 350
    I've played BG2 first, so that's why I prefer the brown leather UI. The greystone theme of BG1 still looks really good, the only things that bother me are the lower resolution and the icons. Somehow their design looks less professional than that in BG2. The icons on the left have a slight homebrew feel to it, for whatever reason.
  • AdulAdul Member Posts: 2,002
    I voted for the BG1 UI because I suppose I'm just more used to it by now than to the BG2 one. I love BG2 but I just play BG1 more. (I start a lot of characters, and I only start new characters in the first game.)

I'm using LadeJarl's UI mod and I've taken some screens for reference:

http://adul.net/public/bg_gui01.jpg
    http://adul.net/public/bg_gui02.jpg
  • SilenceSilence Member Posts: 437
    I agree with Quartz that each GUI suits each game.

BG1's greystone was perfect. It felt like the entire adventure was a historical epic inscribed on an ancient tablet.

Of course, that was in 1998. Now it's an enhanced game being played on trendy iPad tablets.
  • QuartzQuartz Member Posts: 3,853
    Anduin said:

I think this is gonna be close... Look. Niether GUI made or broke the game for me. It was just background. Gameplay is the real dealbreaker surely?

NO. NO IT'S NOT. WE NEED TO MAKE MORE PHOTOSHOPS OF THE 7 SCREENSHOTS WE HAVE, OR THE GAME WILL BE A BUST.
  • KerozevokKerozevok Member Posts: 695
    @Quartz I think you need to take some antidepressants...
  • AndreaColomboAndreaColombo Member Posts: 5,527
    BG1. No contest.
  • kiroskiros Member Posts: 119
    edited September 2012
    Putting all things aside in terms of personnel choice, keeping the resemblance of the original should be paramount..stone should be the prerequisite for BG1. (I don't enjoy the stone gui that much though)

And for BG2, wood or something similar to it's original GUI layout, except enhanced of course ;)

I think this is the key issue that the developers are trying to keep in mind, fans of the original Balder's Gate may not enjoy adventuring with a gui that resembles BG2, and vice versa BG2 fans will not enjoy running around with a stone GUI.
  • sepottersepotter Member Posts: 367
    edited September 2012
    Both are good, but admittedly I kinda like the new GUI best.
  • ajwzajwz Member Posts: 4,122
    Both are fine.
    I'll probably have to give a slight edge to BG1, simply because the backgrounds were a table top with daggers, candles and gold peices scattered on it which I thought gave the game a really nice atmosphere