Skip to content

Are there any leather/chain armors worth taking over plate armor?

I was wondering if there are any leather or chain armors that might be worth taking for a warrior or cleric instead of plate armor. Perhaps not just AC, but special effects, etc.

Comments

•  TheArtisan TheArtisan Member Posts: 3,277
    Depends. How far into BG2 are you talking about? Mail of the Dead +2 is better than most of the armor you get near the start for a while. Shadow Dragon Scale also gives high AC but it's obviously better on your thief. Aeger's Hide can be bought fairly early and gives elemental resistances. There's also obviously Human Flesh for evil characters. In ToB there's the White Dragon Scale and the Studded Leather of Thorns which is a fun gimmick since it does damage to anyone who hits you.
  • JarrakulJarrakul Member Posts: 2,029
    edited March 2016
    The white dragon scale is an obvious choice, since it's straight-up more protective than most of the magical full plate in the game. The grandmaster's armor is also quite good, because it functions as boots of speed, meaning you can a) make your entire party go super fast, and b) equip the Gargoyle Boots to negate a few hits, which is more than AC'll do against many enemies at that point in the game.

The human skin is also fantastic against magical attacks, but you have to be evil and (usually?) forgo a lot of experience to get it.
  • dracostrikedracostrike Member Posts: 151
    Note about the White Dragon Scale, it's perfect for a ranger or rogue (with UAI or another class) since you can use thieving abilities through it, including stealth :)

Human flesh can be used to achieve close to 100 Magic Resistance.

Towards chain, Bladesinger Chain and it's upgraded form is fantastic for mage multis and bards.
  • sluckerssluckers Member Posts: 280
    Aegar's Hide is one of my favourites. Elemental resistances and protection from confusion. It's bought from Ribald.
  • kansasbarbariankansasbarbarian Member Posts: 206
    Aegir's Hide was made for barbarians. This is what Gorgar Irontusk (my HalfOrc Barb) wears until he gets either Human Flesh or Winter Scale.
  • Son_of_ImoenSon_of_Imoen Member Posts: 1,806
    Instead of clothing Minsc in 'full plate and packing steel' you can don him The Night's Gift to be able to stealth and still have reasonable AC.
  • matricematrice Member Posts: 86
    Artemius_I wrote: »
    In ToB there's the White Dragon Scale and the Studded Leather of Thorns which is a fun gimmick since it does damage to anyone who hits you.

Not that fun against fire giant (in ascencion or tactics i don't remember) as you'll enter an infinite loop of damage due to their fireshield, that actually kill you even if you have 100% fire resistance