Skip to content

Arcane Archer

MoonheartMoonheart Member Posts: 520
Well, I'm wondering a lot about exotic builds currently... and right now, I'm wondering what would be the best class to play something like an "Arcane Archer", i.e. and archer using a bit of arcane spell to make himself more deadly.

I was pondering about things like Wizard Slayer/Mage for exemple, that could perhaps completly shutdown the ennemy mage while some summon tank the enemy melee...

What would you use to make something like an Arcane Archer?

Comments

• TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,264
    I may try searching for a mod, but I don't know if one exists or not.
  • MoonheartMoonheart Member Posts: 520
    I was speaking to try to get close to the Arcane Archer using regular multi/dual classing
  • StefanOStefanO Member Posts: 346
    According to the forgottenrealms.wiki an arcane archer fires a couple of special arrows (Enhance, Imbue, Seeker, Phase, Death). The arcane archer kit mod is already available but not what you are looking for.

If you're looking for an arrow shouting mage: Nalia and Imoen are at your service.
  • Jaheiras_WitnessJaheiras_Witness Member Posts: 614
    Any kind of fighter/mage should work well, with proficiencies focused on ranged weapons.

You could also use the "Generic Archer" kit from the Tactics mod and (if you play Human) dual to a mage at around level 9. Don't think you can use that in a multi-class though.

Another possibility (but I don't know if this will work) is to play a Fighter/Mage and then assign the "Archer" kit with Shadowkeeper. Like I say though, I have no idea if that will work in game (since it is a Ranger kit).
  • Lord_TansheronLord_Tansheron Member Posts: 4,211
    Another possibility (but I don't know if this will work) is to play a Fighter/Mage and then assign the "Archer" kit with Shadowkeeper. Like I say though, I have no idea if that will work in game (since it is a Ranger kit).
    This shouldn't work. You can however manually assign the respective Archer ranged bonuses based on level, but you will have to manually redo this every time you level up (and get a bonus breakpoint).
    You could also use the "Generic Archer" kit from the Tactics mod and (if you play Human) dual to a mage at around level 9.
    Assuming it's been ported to the EE, this should work. The "Generic Archer" is essentially a Ranger-Archer without the spellcasting, and they definitely CAN dual-class (as any Fighter kit) but can't be in a multiclass (as no kit can, save for the Gnome thing).

I played around with that kit a bit back in the day, and it's quite powerful, however it is not massively different from a regular Fighter->Mage dual simply because you usually dual at lower levels when you don't have that many ranged bonuses stacked up yet. You do keep Called Shot, though, which can do fun things with Melf's and the likes.

If you don't want to use that mod/kit (or if it doesn't work on EE, I have no idea), you can just make a regular Fighter and dual to Mage; that should give you a fair approximation of what you're looking for.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Mmm I was thinking more about regular solutions, not mods...
  • PhilhelmPhilhelm Member Posts: 473
    In order to maximize the archery potential, you would probably need to play as an Elven or Half Elven Fighter/Mage multi, or a Mage > Fighter dual. The Mage > Fighter dual would give you a little bit of arcane ability, followed by Fighter progression, Grandmastery, and Fighter HLAs. Unfortunately, only Humans can dual class, and I think that Arcane Archers must be Elves or Half Elves, if that matters to you. If you're not hung up on the actual ranged Thac0, then a Half Elf Bard or Skald (+1 Thac0) might not be inappropriate.
  • PK2748PK2748 Member Posts: 381
    Swashbuckler to Mage
    PK2748 wrote: »
    Swashbuckler to Mage

Don't the THAC0 will be a bit poor? It will cap at 7, more or less, against the -4 a simple muli F/M will have
    You didn't say "most effective". I think stealth and detect illusions and spotting traps seems really in character for an eagle eyed magical sniper.
  • GrumGrum Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 2,100
    Honestly I'd just mod a new kit. Have him get bonuses based on lvl. Such as summoning 'x' arrows each day that have 'y' effect. Or tb ability to use spell slots to enchant normal arrows.
    Nope, I didn't say anything about effectiveness, that's right.
    However, the Arcane Archer is a D&D class that have absolutely no relationship to rogues. They are more or less to bows what gishes are to swords.
    then don't look for exotic because there is nothing exotic about dps caster with a bow. Your options are pretty one dimensional
    As with my thread about effective archers, we are running into the problem that the Archer kit simply dominates any other warrior class in ranged combat in a way that the warrior classes don't necessarily dominate each other in melee. While the Archer's Thac0 bonus is nice, the more important factor in my opinion is the innate, ranged damage bonus.

This shows what I think is a design flaw of D&D. Slap a 22 STR belt on a Fighter (except for the Wizard Slayer...), Paladin, Ranger, or Barbarian, and they will all perform well in melee, even if some of the kits are superior to the others. The same is not true of ranged combat since DEX does not confer a damage bonus to ranged combat. While I think that ranged weapons should ultimately do less damage than melee weapons for balancing reasons, I have always thought that DEX should confer at least some damage bonus. After all, a well aimed shot to vital areas can cause critical damage, so there is a rationale behind it.

It would be nice if there were some items (perhaps bracers) that conferred, say, a +5 bonus of some sort to ranged damage only. That way, a character could be better geared toward ranged combat. The +2 bracers of archery don't cut it, since it is far better to get +1 Thac0, +2 damage, and +1/2 APR. There needs to be something more.

The parameters seem to be:

1. Effective ranged combat;
    2. Arcane magic use; and
    3. Elf or Half Elf (at least in Neverwinter Nights, this was the requirement).

Your only real option is a Fighter/Mage multiclass (probably Elven for 19 DEX and +1 Thac0 with longbows). If you are willing to use a human, then Mage dualed to Fighter is probably your best bet since you will be able to get Grandmastery in bows, unlike the multiclass.

edited March 2016
    A bit off topic, but I think that the best Arcane Archer build in Neverwinter Nights would be Sorcerer/Paladin/Arcane Archer. Start with 14 STR, 14+ WIS, and 14+ CHA. Take Power Attack, Divine Might, Zen Archery, and pump CHA. Cast Owl's Wisdom for better ranged attack rolls. I tested a build, and with items and spells I boosted my CHA to 40, conferring +15 divine damage for 15 rounds per Turn Undead use (Extra Turning should be taken as well). Combined with the Arcane Archer's innate abilities, I was doing 100 damage crits with a longbow. And the saves are obscene since the Paladin's CHA bonus is added.

One of my favorites is a pure crossbow Paladin with Divine Might, Rapid Reload, and insane CHA. There's a lot of synergy using WIS and CHA, and Divine Might is one of the few ways to boost ranged damage. Cleric's can do the same, although to a lesser extent since WIS will be pumped higher and their attack rolls and APR are lower. I wish I could recreate my crossbow Paladin for BG.