Skip to content

These download speeds...

Comments

• ArcalianArcalian Member Posts: 359
    I hate to join the chorus of negativity here. I still love Beamdog. But I gave up on the Beamdog client pretty fast. The regular windows download isn't much better! It SAYS it's still downloading, but its stuck at 22.71kbs, with 466MBs already downloaded. Am I actually downloading? Are they fixing this?
  • Pluc082Pluc082 Member Posts: 80
    Any chance of playing today? Stuck on 27% for 10-12 hours...
  • helmo1977helmo1977 Member Posts: 364
    After 12 hours and many hangs I have managed to get at 90%. Lets cross fingers
  • rjmacreadyrjmacready Member Posts: 91
    Well Ive had the Beamdog client running nonstop for 20 hours and Ive managed to patch BG1 and 2 but still waiting for SoD.

I dont want to beat down on the folks at Beamdog because they arent a network company theyre a game developer. Never the less Id have much rather spent the last 20 hours in electro shock therapy. Its been years since Ive seen a paltry 3.7 gig take so much time. The last time must have been in the old days of dial up internet.
  • lefreutlefreut Member Posts: 1,462
    edited November 2019
    Post edited by lefreut on
  • bleusteelbleusteel Member Posts: 523
    I am very curious why p2p downloads (AKA turbo) aren't faster. Unleashing the power of a distributed download should make it much quicker.
  • darrenkuodarrenkuo Member Posts: 366
    edited April 2016
    I think Beamdog had created better content compare with previous BG-EE , BG2-EE
    I will still buy the game through Beamdog directly in the future
    But they should learn something for the poor network handle issue ,

My Beamdog client tell me I can get the game in Apr/E,
    I am not sure if I am still alive when that day coming ...

• VallmyrVallmyr Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 2,459
    Alright, so I think I might just buy the steam version of BG: SoD since I have both BG:EE and BG2:EE purchased from there. Only issue is that already spent 130$ on the collector's edition, plus 20$ for shipping, and would rather not pay another 20$ >_>
  • CelthalionCelthalion Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 16
    I've been stuck at 13% for 12 hours now. This is really bad.
  • bleusteelbleusteel Member Posts: 523
    edited April 2016
    @Vallmyr as you're probably aware, you can request a Steam key from support@beamdog.com. This requires patience, unfortunately.

Edit-Dee has requested support give priority to CE purchasers:

https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/comment/731032/#Comment_731032
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    I've had to edit several posts in this thread for language. I understand people are frustrated with the download speeds, but the site rules are clear: Keep it PG-13.
  • xzar_montyxzar_monty Member Posts: 631
    edited April 2016
    @Dee: The download speeds *are* unjustifiable (though your point about the forum rules obviously remains). After approximately ten hours, I've had about 30% downloaded. The last time we've been used to this kind of stuff was in the 1990s.
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447

@Dee: The download speeds *are* unjustifiable (though your point about the forum rules obviously remains). After approximately ten hours, I've had about 30% downloaded. The last time we've been used to this kind of stuff was in the 1990s.

I agree, it's frustrating. Our servers are working hard to keep up with the demand. Make sure you have P2P enabled in the client's settings; that should help with the speed. I'll poke our server robots this morning and see if there's anything we can do on our end to make it faster.
  • JiveOneJiveOne Member Posts: 43
    I noticed my speeds drastically improved overnight and by this morning the download is complete(eastern time, U.S. here). Just stick with it and eventually it will complete. Also in case anyone is initially confused as I was, the Dragonspear download includes the entirety of BGEE. That is why when you download SoD the BGEE game resets to "ready to download" status. All you need for everything BG is the SoD download and BG2EE of course.
  • CelthalionCelthalion Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 16
    I just removed and restarted my download and it's going much faster. I don't know if this speed will keep up but I've already downloaded more than I got after leaving it on overnight. It says it will be done in about 50 minutes instead of 7 days.
    @Dee: Progress seems surprisingly sporadic. First, I went to 670MB in about fifteen minutes. Then it just hung for hours and hours (with several hard resets needed). Then it went up again very fast, to 1,4GB. Now, again, nothing has happened for hours.
  • ElendarElendar Member Posts: 831
    lol... I came home this morning from work expecting it to be ready for me to play, not for it to still be downloading 10 hours later. :P
  • JarrakulJarrakul Member Posts: 2,029
    Okay, question. My download says it's at 56 MB, but my Siege of Dragonspear folder has 2.14 gigs in it. That doesn't seem to mesh properly. Anyone have any insight into that?
  • ManbelethManbeleth Member Posts: 5
    Where can we switch to the manual downloader?
    bah, cutting into my limited playing time :(
  • dunbardunbar Member Posts: 1,603
    On the bright side, if this is the best the IT world can offer then there's no danger of Skynet taking over in my lifetime!
  • Greenman019Greenman019 Member Posts: 206
    Mine tanks right down to 1.42kb/s.

Hopefully they'll get the steam keys out.
  • helmo1977helmo1977 Member Posts: 364

@Dee: Progress seems surprisingly sporadic. First, I went to 670MB in about fifteen minutes. Then it just hung for hours and hours (with several hard resets needed). Then it went up again very fast, to 1,4GB. Now, again, nothing has happened for hours.

Same here. It has short bursts of speed (for one second I got 1MBs) followed by long times of turtle pace.
  • rashkaerashkae Member Posts: 179
    edited April 2016
    Dee said:

I agree, it's frustrating. Our servers are working hard to keep up with the demand. Make sure you have P2P enabled in the client's settings; that should help with the speed. I'll poke our server robots this morning and see if there's anything we can do on our end to make it faster.

Unfortunately, Download speed is not the only, or even the most frustrating problem. The Download client constantly freezes and needs to be killed/restarted, but doing so reverts allot of progress. Disabling p2p seems to have reduced these problems.

I'll give it a couple days before hitting the refund button and waiting for GOG release. It would have been nice if the beamdog store was up to snuff on a much anticipated release day, but as we all know, stuff happens.

Ps: Worst download manager *ever*. Ever consider farming out direct digital sales to a company that specializes in these, like gumroad or digital river?
    Why didn't they do preloading again?
  • JarrakulJarrakul Member Posts: 2,029
    Elendar said:

Why didn't they do preloading again?

I'm no expert, but I'm betting it's because they were working on the game until Wednesday at least.
  • tokarev748tokarev748 Member Posts: 27
    Jarrakul said:

Okay, question. My download says it's at 56 MB, but my Siege of Dragonspear folder has 2.14 gigs in it. That doesn't seem to mesh properly. Anyone have any insight into that?

Me same,every time I start over ,the folder's size still stacks.
    Low speed downloading is predictable,but what about the launcher constantly freezing and the progress start over?Which means no guarantee of complete downloading or when the folder becomes 3.7GB the nightmare gone.
  • rashkaerashkae Member Posts: 179
    edited April 2016
    Jarrakul said:

Sparse files are created so that P2P file sharing can take place, like torrents. Sparse files are pre-allocated to the full file size on the file system, but aren't actually filled with data yet. If you right click on the game folder and examine properties, (sorry, only viewing on Windows 7, I can't check UI differences for Windows 8 / 10.), you should see a property called "Size on Disk", which should more closely match the download reported by the installer.
  • VallmyrVallmyr Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 2,459
    bleusteel said:

@Vallmyr as you're probably aware, you can request a Steam key from support@beamdog.com. This requires patience, unfortunately.

Edit-Dee has requested support give priority to CE purchasers:

https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/comment/731032/#Comment_731032

I did not know this! Just submitted a ticket. Thank you! n_n
    It's actually pretty cool to see my download window genuinely display a download speed of "20,00 B/s". That's right. Not megabytes, not kilobytes, but bytes! Takes me back to approximately 1989, when I downloaded a (then) new version of Nethack on a 1200 bps modem. Those were NOT the days, let me tell you, and I don't want them back.