Skip to content

Legacy of Bhaal mode workaround

Comments

• lazutulazutu Member Posts: 118
    Monday! Still no fix... literally unplayable until then.
    I've lurked for five hours, found no clue about this bug being fixed any time soon... just disheartening.
  • the_sexteinthe_sextein Member Posts: 711
    heh, yeah I know the feeling but it might take them a while. I would hate to get my hopes up for a quickfix only to wait weeks for it. I would just try to pass the time and keep your expectations low for now. It would be great to see them fix it fast but you never know how complex the problem is and they may want to add other fixes to the patch for release. I do think it's important that they act quickly though. The more true fans that play the game to completion, the more positive reviews the game will receive.
    Yup, complete stopper for me. Going to play something like Diablo 1: The Hell mod for now. Sorry for sounding snobbish, I do not want to experience SoD without the new difficulty.
    Oh, no problem, I totally understand. I am in the same boat. I have been playing the new Hitman level that was released and floating around these boards while jamming to some music. Just trying to kill the time until the work week starts for me.
  • Lord_TansheronLord_Tansheron Member Posts: 4,211
    Well, it was the weekend and all so I did not really expect a response or reaction - yet. Now it's a working week, though, and I will be waiting.

How this is handled will definitely have a clear and decisive impact on my future decisions regarding Beamdog games.
  • Kivan_DKivan_D Member Posts: 12
    I quicksaved my game after Elminster encounter and this is the only save that loads correctly, with LOB settings every single time i'm loading it. I tried to go back to Lion's way and save here but this tip worked for me only when i killed again the bears, wolves and gibberlings that spawn there. The other tip (to load twice a LOB save) didn't seem to work for me except one time but then when i saved again, quit and reload, the game was in Insane mod....
    The only way was to return to Lion's way, kill the beasts that spawn there and save afterwards. But maybe this is just a random solution that won't work as the game progress (and if it works, it's boring to do this "trick" every time you want to quit) :/
    I hope that the bug will be fixed soon cause LOB is fun to play and i want to unlock "Lord of Murder" achievement with my Bhaal character so bad >:)
    Well, it wont be on Monday it seems :) Let's not lose spirit, one workday is not the end of the world, and keep in mind that this bug reappeared in later builds, so there might already be a fix ready to be included in the next patch.
    I'm sure there will be a fix "next patch", it's just that we have no idea when "next patch" will be. Could be this week, could be this month, could be 60 days from now for all we know.

I don't expect a miracle, but I expect a critical, game-crippling issue to get at least some sort of hastened response. Or any response, really.
    Asked Dee! https://forums.beamdog.com/profile/Dee

"Dee
    Our programmers are working on a fix for this. Not sure when it will be released, but it's definitely on our radar. I'll grab one of our QA people to help find workarounds.
    8:35PM"

Better than nothing, no exact info though.
    That's no info at all, really. I don't think anyone expected them to not know about it, or programmers to not be working on it. Meh.
  • TredvoltTredvolt Member Posts: 62
    If they get a fix out this week I'll give em a solid pass on missing their deliver date of the 31st. I get that stuff happens and it is hard to control everything.

If we need to wait a month for a patch to fix an issue that prevents a lot of us from even playing their game...... I'll be really disappointed with how their management is choosing to prioritize.

I tend toward cynicism in these situations so please forgive my bad mood. It is only that I was really looking forward to playing the game and this bug is preventing me and ALL of my friends from playing.
    Glad to see I'm not alone on my island in the sea of bitter tears @Tredvolt

A week seems like a reasonable window for forgiveness. Sucks that it ruined my weekend off but these things happen.

Anything LONGER than a week, though, and I'll quickly progress from miffed to miserable.
    Morning everyone! :) Our thread lives on.
  • BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653
    edited April 2016
    Are you guys watching @Ark_Tolei 's videos? He's been quite ingenious about working around the problem. He managed to beat Silke and the spiders in Beregost so he could use Beregost as a home base and a safe saving area, and he's done a lot of the troubleshooting to identify exactly what is breaking the monsters and the difficulty setting itself, (Two separate bugs, apparently), and where it is possible to save without breaking monsters.

I know that finding work arounds is not what people want who want to play LoB difficulty, but I myself am finding it rather fascinating to watch @Ark_Tolei work his way through the various fights, and to keep on fixing it when the difficulty breaks. I've never seen anyone with such perseverance and good faith.
    edited April 2016
    Insulting, to say the least. Very few people want to watch a walk through of their favorite game, before actually playing it, even & especially when it's the "same" game. It's a new mod, we want to play it with fresh nostalgia in mind, not after watching someone that already beat any part of it.

Sorry for being so blunt about it! I just want to make new friends here, and play my game :( Belgarath, don't take offense!

@Ark_Tolei has done a great job troubleshooting and working around the problem but MOST of us don't want to have to use these work arounds as it really does change the experience. I don't think we are being unreasonable by expecting the game to keep a difficulty setting throughout. I also don't think it is unreasonable to expect the fix to come soon. I have read the forums and can't find a single other bug that is of as high importance as this. This bug is actually stopping many of us from even playing the game period.

For me, I was planning to play through the entire trilogy with my friends this week from BG1 to the end of TOB with of course the new SOD expansion but we are veterans of the runs and we only want to play on LOB mode. Rather than ruin the new content by getting a lower difficulty run we are opting to wait until beamdog can fix the difficulty settings.

6 days are past - definitely think they should have had a fix by now but we'll keep waiting till they do.
  • bleusteelbleusteel Member Posts: 523
    Rumor mill is hoping a patch will drop April 14:

https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/comment/738030/#Comment_738030
    WHAT?... If they'll make me wait for another 9 days, I'm expecting at least some sort of apology.
    14th? Two weeks for a GAME-CRIPPLING bug that makes LoB effectively unplayable?

This better be a delayed April Fools, or I am done like dinner.
    But i was going to do my taxes on the 14th!

The 14th is a long time to wait considering it was supposed to be here on the 31st but I will put my pitchfork down and accept that date as the real release date of 2.0 and SOD. Lets keep everything in perspective - 2 weeks sucks but we'll all live - game companies have done far far worse by their customers so lets give beamdog the benefit of the doubt.

/puts pitchfork down
    /looks at pitchfork
    /looks away from pitchfork
    /sits quietly at computer for 9 days
  • GabbekGabbek Member Posts: 1
    That's just how it is with game development, not everything goes according to the plan, relax a bit and let's wait those 9 days more :) meanwhile you could, and should (if you're looking for some challenge) try black pits without reloads on LoB difficulty. I find it highly entertaining, if somewhat hardcore :P so far 10 fights done, and I had to quit the game... but yeah, if you're fast enough or have enough time you might be able to finish it! :D
  • Kivan_DKivan_D Member Posts: 12
    I feel you mates! Sometimes, 8 days are a long time, hehe! But patience is a virtue ;)
    I just hope that we won't have to wait any longer for the update and that the new patch will fix this issue, hopefully
    Gabbek said:

That's just how it is with game development, not everything goes according to the plan

Everyone knows that. But if a borderline A-level bug makes it live, that just means the plan was bad. If the issue was overlooked because of last-minute changes, then the fault lies with whoever okayed last-minute changes that could not go through proper QA. This isn't some act of god at work here. No hurricane came down and broke LoB. Bad decisions were made, and bad decisions in business result in bad profits. That's how it should be.

That being said, that whole 04/14 thing is still just speculation in regards to this particular bug. Could very well be some hotfix rolls out quickly.
    edited April 2016
    I have always been unsure of LOB mode. I don't like the idea of having more XP like Icewind dale because the game isn't really any harder and yet... If enemy HP gets boosted the way it is and you don't get more XP I am not sure I am going to like it either. Battles may end up being extremely tedious rather than fun. Icewind dale has that problem in my opinion.

I have thought about using the hot fix for SCS and playing through BGEE on insane and then just playing on Insane for SOD since I have never played it before.

Still, the problem remains. If the difficulty slider moves around on it's own and all enemies on a given map are not fixed even after you set the slider to insane then the game just doesn't work. I don't know how anyone could be satisfied playing it the way it currently is unless they are interested purely in the story and art and have no real interest in being challenged by the gameplay.

Waiting until the 14th isn't a big deal but it's painful when the wait for SOD has already been crushing and even the physical gear that you get with the collectors edition is months off.

I was hoping a quick fix would be released or at least a modder would find a quick fix that would allow us to at least play the game before the official patch but it doesn't look like anyone has any leads. It's a major downer.
  • Ark_ToleiArk_Tolei Member Posts: 69
    The black pits should actually be pretty much completely immune to the game breaking bug, since you'll never have a save file with enemies loaded. It's a decent suggestion for people who are interested in the difficulty just for its own sake, but it obviously isn't the same as playing through the saga. Just remember to reload the file twice whenever you start it back up and it should be a bug-free experience.

@the_sextein I'm not sure how the non-LoB difficulty errors work, since I haven't tinkered with them, but me and a friend of mine have been playing on Insane difficulty together without too much issue aside from some unrelated connectivity trouble.

The creature files themselves are only changed by LoB mode, insane difficulty can't bug out in the same manner, because the effects are twofold instead of threefold. First, the game adds bonus damage equal to the damage dealt any time a party member takes damage. Second, when random enemies spawn, they do so in larger groups.

LoB mode uses a separate creature file, which is why the reloads screw up the enemies already on the map. That is mechanically impossible with any other difficulty.

So doing your insane run should work fine, as long as you check up on your difficulty periodically to make sure it's still where it's supposed to be.

If the difficulty slides from insane to hard then I would just need to put it back on insane and save the game and then reload it and hope that it doesn't reset to hard mode again but that is still pretty undependable.

Thanks to a user on this forum SCS is installable but I have not heard any feedback regarding it's stability with 2.0. Do you know anything about it?
  • Ark_ToleiArk_Tolei Member Posts: 69
    edited April 2016

If the difficulty slides from insane to hard then I would just need to put it back on insane and save the game and then reload it and hope that it doesn't reset to hard mode again but that is still pretty undependable.

Thanks to a user on this forum SCS is installable but I have not heard any feedback regarding it's stability with 2.0. Do you know anything about it?

The difficulty slider changes things instantly. There's no need to reload the game for the effects to take place.

Edit: sorry I don't actually know anything about mods. I stick to vanilla exclusively so I don't run into compatibility issues with multiplayer
    edited April 2016
    Third workday, guys! Not one person was assigned to fix the game-crippling/game-stopping bug (http://support.baldursgate.com/issues/22132). It's as we veteran players - whom this mode was made for and advertised to -don't exist.

This thing is chipping away my hope in humanity...
    Honestly, I hoped it would be different but I didn't really expect it. My whole life as a gamer I've been a niche, thought maybe now in a time of niche-gaming I might find more TLC from developers but I guess now I'm a niche within a niche.

They probably have bigger issues right now than making a game playable that we all already paid for, anyway. Man, sometimes I wish everything was subscription-based so they actually have an incentive not to break things...