Skip to content

BUG: Difficulty keeps reverting to easy. This is hopeless!

So, I've been continuing my BG:EE save game, after installing SoD. I've been going through the options to check things, and one thing I keep noticing is that the difficulty setting keeps reverting back to "easy" essentially all the time. This is hopeless; for chrissakes, this is a game-ending bug! I want to play on core rules at least, because I want a proper challenge.

I cannot believe that a bug of this magnitude has slipped through the net. Has everybody else noticed this, too?
CloutierWakukee

Comments

• WakukeeWakukee Member Posts: 106
    How did this get through beta?
  • AbelAbel Member Posts: 785
    edited April 2016
    I had this problem, and that's what I did: 1) removed the .ini file in my Documents/BGEE folder; 2) edited the .lua file, set difficulty option to 5 (Insane). Core would be 3. Try that!
    @Wakukee yes it's annoying and it's not really fixed. I hope this thing'll get patched soon.

Edit: I may have set story mode option to 0 in the .lua too. Not sure...
    Abel said:

I had this problem, and that's what I did: 1) removed the .ini file in my Documents/BGEE folder; 2) edited the .lua file, set difficulty option to 5 (Insane). Core would be 3. Try that!
    @Wakukee yes it's annoying and it's not really fixed. I hope this thing'll get patched soon.

Edit: I may have set story mode option to 0 in the .lua too. Not sure...

I don't see any .ini, just a .lua. I haven't adjusted anything, but it is currently set to 3, but changes every time I check it.
  • CerevantCerevant Member Posts: 2,314
    We've changed to saving the difficulty in the save game, which is causing some issues when you load a save from 1.3. Just load the game, set your difficulty, save the game, then load it back. If that doesn't work for you, let us know.
  • SirBatinceSirBatince Member Posts: 882
    I play on Easy and it actually sets me back to Story Mode after every single quickload.

It's a brand new game from 2.0.

LUA has story mode set to 0.
    This happens to me on a fresh game as well. EE. Was never installed on 1.3.
  • GelmartyGelmarty Member Posts: 61
    Cerevant said:

We've changed to saving the difficulty in the save game, which is causing some issues when you load a save from 1.3. Just load the game, set your difficulty, save the game, then load it back. If that doesn't work for you, let us know.

I been trying to change it in the main menu but it kicks it back to easy all the time. The save itself is stuck on easy, I cannot lower it or take it higher. It is frozen stuck. Should I try to reinstall?
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • IllydthIllydth Member, Developer Posts: 1,641
    Hang in there folks, the devs have been looking at both this one and the LOB Mode issues.
    elminster[Deleted User]Belfaldurnik
    Illydth said:

Hang in there folks, the devs have been looking at both this one and the LOB Mode issues.

Thanks! Very appreciated and I understand game releases these days, they are always fucked up!

This may help some of you: Make sure "Story Mode" is unchecked. It's the top-right option in Gameplay. If it's checked, the slider is grey and you can't change the difficulty.

Guess what? THAT was the problem. Not sure if I clicked by mistake or if the game has kicked it on automatically. Explains all the buffs and why no one ever died.
    [Deleted User]Illydth
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • IllydthIllydth Member, Developer Posts: 1,641
    Yea, you'll want to check that every time you end up loading the game before you play. For the moment, it looks like modifying the options or potentially saving/loading the game in some ways will cause a de-escalation of Difficulty: If you're on Hard it will go to Core, if you're on Core it goes to Normal, etc.
    I got a bit confused when everything died so fast. Thought the buffs was some new reward for funding "Rufie" for the "boy". Lol.
    [Deleted User]
  • xzar_montyxzar_monty Member Posts: 631
    @Illydth: Not true. Goes from Core all the way to Easy here. Never to Normal.

Story mode is definitely off.
  • RashkaRashka Member Posts: 11
    Story mode of here. Still switches from legacy of bhaal to insane... and i can't cast spells on charname...
  • BelfaldurnikBelfaldurnik Member Posts: 212
    Rashka said:

Story mode of here. Still switches from legacy of bhaal to insane... and i can't cast spells on charname...

Legacy of Bhaal mode is broken in several ways:
    https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/comment/731822/#Comment_731822

Better avoid it for now. Just be patient, and wait for a fix. I'm sure the developers also find such bugs embarrassing. And it's a good opportunity to discuss internal quality assurange and regression testing procedures once more.
    [Deleted User]