Skip to content

having a problem connecting to any game post patch.

DamascDamasc Member Posts: 1
edited April 2016 in Troubleshooting
As Title says, I have been unable to continue a save game I had prior to patch with someone. I am also unable to create a new multiplayer game with anyone and unable to join any other player. I have tried changing most anything in the game and performed a clean install. I do not own Siege of Dragonspear yet and neither does my primary multiplayer partner. If I create the session without password game crashes about 2/3 tries the other it just says can't join the session. anything I am missing? I never needed to set port forwarding to make sessions, so that is one thought. I am using steam client to launch game. Any help is appreciated.

Did the port forwarding and still no joy.
Post edited by Damasc on

Comments

• GnemesisGnemesis Member Posts: 13
    I am having the same issue. Please advise.
    I managed to circumvent the connection problem, but another has arisen. Since my playing partner and I are on the same local network we are able to connect by starting the game as a local network game and direct connecting by IP address. However, we are unable to quick save our progress, as quick saving crashes the server and disconnects the session. Help?
  • AeneasAeneas Member Posts: 2
    Having the same issue but from a beamdog account, not link to steam
  • BlondieTheStrangerBlondieTheStranger Member Posts: 4
    Unforutently I've just spent cash on 4 copies of unplayable multiplayer game that I wished to enjoy with my friends, I'd bought it on steam and I don't know if it's the new patch because It was after the release but there is no chance to make it work, I've already forwarded all ports possible, tried to turn off UPnP, Firewalls on both router and windows system and nothing helps, now I even got a game crush after trying and failing to connect to someone. This is a joke to sell a game that does not funciton properly - It's that 21 century kickstarter bull*hit and as far as I love all BG's and I enjoyed the first 15 min in single player of this BG:EE edition I'm very displeased that Beamdog serves a rebrand of epic game and takes money for it without making sure it holds together as it should! Portrait mfw multi didn't work.
  • CerevantCerevant Member Posts: 2,314
    We're looking into this, and it is a top priority for us to get resolved. We'll keep you posted.
    Cerevant said:

We're looking into this, and it is a top priority for us to get resolved. We'll keep you posted.

I'm operating on the assumption you are talking about the connection problem... are you also working on the crashes on saving the game?
    Just menaged to get into 4 random games with 1 disconnect but after trying again 5 min later it doesn't let me join anyone anymore. AAAARGHHHH! GO FOR THE EYES BOO!
  • OximusOximus Member Posts: 14
    I believe I've found the problem. Wasn't able to connect to any game, neither the ones my friend created or random ones created without password.
    So I tried creating a game with the Local Network Gaming option on. Nobody could join my game. But, while the option was on, I could enter other people's games.
    Trying to confirm this.
  • OximusOximus Member Posts: 14
    edited April 2016
    Oximus said:

I believe I've found the problem. Wasn't able to connect to any game, neither the ones my friend created or random ones created without password.
    So I tried creating a game with the Local Network Gaming option on. Nobody could join my game. But, while the option was on, I could enter other people's games.
    Trying to confirm this.

It was just a coincidence. =P
    My friend and I weren't being able to play. Cannot connect messages all the time. We tried everything our little computing knowledge could do and nothing.
    Then he read somenthing somewhere in the beandog site and then he updated an archive called Open AL. And after that we played until now. One hour playing with stability (only lags when saving).
    Post edited by Oximus on
    Gnemesis said:

I'm operating on the assumption you are talking about the connection problem... are you also working on the crashes on saving the game?

Yes
    Oximus said:

Oximus said:

Trying to confirm this.

It was just a coincidence. =P
    My friend and I weren't being able to play. Cannot connect messages all the time. We tried everything our little computing knowledge could do and nothing.
    Then he read somenthing somewhere in the beandog site and then he updated an archive called Open AL. And after that we played until now. One hour playing with stability (only lags when saving).
    Confirming that this is related to problem since when I reinstaled that program game seems to work a little better and I was able to join some games, but still it's not 100% sure, will try again in some time and we'll see if problem arises again.
    edited April 2016
    Bumping this topic again... after the latest patch (2.1), things are actually worse... still cannot save game progress, and not we can't connect at all, even using direct IP connect.

Worse, the connect and save issues are no longer on the roadmap:
    http://redmine.beamdog.com/projects/external-bugs/issues?per_page=100&query_id=124

These issues are NOT fixed! My playing partner and I have a great deal of time invested in playing this game, and we have not been able to play for WEEKS. This is not acceptable. Can someone from Beamdog please explain how a major issue like this that was not only not fixed in the latest patch but now appears to have been removed from the list of needed fixes?
    Post edited by Gnemesis on
    edited May 2016
    [crickets]
    @Gnemesis - sorry I missed your previous bump. We did include a number of fixes for MP issues, and reports of further issues have stopped. I'm sorry that you are still having trouble.

First: there are multiple problems being discussed in this thread. Which specific problem are you still seeing?

Are you guys able to test using the 2.2 beta update?

Have you tried renaming the "Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition" folder in Documents, and creating a new one?
  • Gate70Gate70 Member, Developer Posts: 3,882
    My understanding is that v2.1 addressed a lot of multiplayer issues and forum/Redmine reports have reduced accordingly @Gnemesis so it may be something specific to your situation. In order to look into this we'd need details as below.

Re "still cannot save game progress, and not we can't connect at all", does this mean you cannot save in single player, or you cannot save in multiplayer with no clients connected?

Could you advise for each of you
    * Current game version e.g. v2.1.63.2
    * Platforms e.g. PC, Mac, Linux
    * Operating System e.g. Win7, Win8, Win10, etc.
    * Other configuration options, e.g. playing in a language other than English, Frame rate other than 30
    * Whether any firewalls are set to accept v2.1 of the game (following game update)
    * From Character Arbitration, Host checked Listen to Join Requests is enabled within Game Options
    * Switching so the Client machine tries to Host instead makes no difference

Also what the current position is for each connection method, e.g.
    * Host can create a Direct Connection Game but Client cannot connect to it
    * Host and Client can/cannot see other multiplayer games
    * Host can have a game at character arbitration and client can/cannot see the game
    * Host can have a game at character arbitration and client can/cannot join arbitration
    * Host can see the client is attached and is able to start the game

You could try the v2.2 beta, or if you wish to PM me I'm happy to try session connectivity with you to see if that throws any light onto the matter.
    Thanks
    @Gate70 Sorry about the long silence, I have not logged into the forums for a while, and for some reason I did not get the usual email notice of a reply. In any case, we will update to the latest available version tonight, and I'll post answers to all your questions as we give it a try.
    edited June 2016
    @Gate70 So, good news and bad news. Good news is, the connection issues seem to be fixed, for a normal connection at least. Have not tried direct connect yet. Bad news, a couple other bugs seem to have been introduced. One is pretty inconsequential; when my daughter used the volume key on her keyboard it opens the character arbitration screen. The other is a real problem. Our potion case has started multiplying one potion in it at random, filling the case beyond capacity, so we cannot fill it with the potions we actually want. Example: We had 6 potions of Hill Giant Strength in there. Tried to put some heals inside and got the message the case is full. Looked inside and we had over 190 Hill Giant Strength potions! We laboriously emptied them out 24 at a time, and when we tried to put the heals in, it said it was full again. Looking inside, a DIFFERENT potion had multiplied to a quantity near 200! Try as we might, we've not found a way around this...

We are both running version 2.3.67.2 (as of last night), Win7 on PC, English, std. frame rate
    Post edited by Gnemesis on
  • Gate70Gate70 Member, Developer Posts: 3,882
    Options -> Gameplay -> Assign Keys. Character Arbitration defaults to C, have you tried changing that?

Is the container issue with the client, host or either when accessing the potion case (to cause the duplication, not once it has happened).
    Thanks

So far the container issue has been with the host, I'll test to see if it happens with the client and get back to you. We'll also try rebinding the Arbitration key as well. Thanks for the suggestions!
    Oddly, the issue is no longer happening... We moved the container to a client to see if the duplication happened, it did not. Upon moving it back to the host, it still did not happen again.