Skip to content

Minsc can not be trusted with maces trnas-Gender PC Salute is asinine and wrecks game immersion

I have the advanced UI with Minsc set to use Ranged NOT melee - yet he is constantly getting killed by trolls switching to dual wielding maces instead of shooting fire arrows. THis is back to BG 2 bug where you have to take out the melee weapons from the characters hands and just leave them with a ranged or the weak wizard is sure to get his cloak bloodily torn.

Also I am not going to comment on the romance chat things in SOE or the single mom salute with a forceful butch female. I guess if you like to support the non-traditional sexual acts for sword fighting heroes you can as well point out that the renown crusader Richard the Lion Heart had a relation with the King of France that was not all planning on how best to get back the True Cross bits or kill those Egypt troops invading the Holy Land...

However that Transgender "I identify as a boy/girl" salute you did in the first camp with the flaming fist soldier of TEMPEST - Is Tempest the god of Transgender warriors now?- That was just soooooo blatantly Politically Correct it completely brought me out of the game and made me picture YOU Beamdawg story makers carefully and excitedly planning out this game clapping your hipster hands together chortling,

"Yes yes lets make him/her/it a Tempest Flaming Fist Warrior who has Transgender life issues!"

It is the is just a completely immersion smashing gender bender tripe character. Why did you not just go all the way over the top and have Edwin or better yet tender LG Danneeria say after the character get the her story,

"Oh I am sorry for your gender identification trail in life- should you like I can polymorph your nether parts and make them fit the gender you favor."

You may as well have gone that extra step. You already went over the top and irritated me with that preachy nonsense.

Gender neutral / trans gender debate has about as much to do with the game as a crying North Korean Lass has to do to support my argument- zero! Please keep modern political social agendas out of a FANTASY GAME for FAT MIDDLE AGE GUYS who have NO Desire to be taught about POLITICALLY CORRECT GENDER SENSITIVITY.

And just so you know - I do not think the government should tell anyone who they can marry or what sorts of facial or other mods they want to do to themselves as long as it does not deal with minors or animals or siblings where the offspring will be born freaks. But really, gender champion preaching has about as much to do with Baldurs Gate as A tearful human trafficked North Korean Lass has to do with this forum: nothing completely off topic...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ufhKWfPSQOw

Comments

• megamike15megamike15 Member Posts: 2,666
    edited April 2016
    you know i would really like to have seen the reaction had Haer'Dalis's romance had not been cut. you know the guy who was bi but leaned more towards the ladies.

edit: this reminds so much of how people act like cortez in me 3 shoved his homosexuality in your face. he mentions it once and in passing.
  • PurudayaPurudaya Member Posts: 816
    Also, "forceful butch female" - you mean a strong, independent woman?

What is the matter with you?
  • SilverstarSilverstar Member Posts: 2,207
    *scratches head*

I'm inclined to agree that political correctness just for the sake of it can go jump off a bridge, but judging by what I'm told of the character in this thread (not gotten that far yet) this isn't a case of that. It's not a Dragon Effect 2 thing where every romanceable companion is bisexual. Or another Anders-love-me-or-lose-tons-of-affection-thing just because you too aren't. It's an optional dialogue with a character that isn't really all that important, apparently?

I don't see a problem with that.
  • AaezilAaezil Member Posts: 178
    "If you are this upset by the existence of such an inoffensive character perhaps you should consider the reasons why you are feeling this way and move towards a more healthy emotional self."

perfect
  • BeowulfBeowulf Member Posts: 236
    Ok sorry that perhaps it is a loaded word - the Butch word- but it is a good adjective to use in this case and a term persons of that mindset and practice use themselves as a descriptive. anyway it is a minor character but at least for me it wrecked the game immersion and all I could think of for the next 5 minutes were the happy hipster Beamdawg programmers and story writers cheering and smiling when they game tested it. If I have a choice between watching youtube vids made by a gender neutral emo girl/boy of 19 explain on how people do not accept her/him, - or playing Baldurs Gate - I choose Baldurs Gate - so for me this was a very minor but never the less unwanted sensitivity class I did not need. I already had plenty of sensitivity classes in the USMC and they were boring and inane - much like her/his story on being a Tempest warrior of mystery gender angst. I do not need a sensitivty class or Temptist gender ID story to be kind to people - I already am. But for all you who loved the story here you go: a thoughtful well spoken gender identifying as female girl/boy. Go ahead and watch it- I think he/she is well spoken too. Go to hear "Paris" 24:40: I am not going to watch it again as I can not at all identify with it...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uYYjyfsHeus
  • killerrabbitkillerrabbit Member Posts: 402

You must have played the EEs before this, so you can't be surprised that another gay or bi romance is in the series.

And the cleric doesn't even go on a spiel, much less a debate: You have to ask her about her name first and there's absolutely no follow up conversation or debate designed to change your opinion on the subject. You never even need to have the conversation in-game with that character.

Agreed. And it's not just the EEs but the setting. This is the Forgotten Realms -- Elminster spent time a woman. And the girdle of gender change has been in D&D since 1st edition . . .

Also, some trans persons first started experimenting with their new gender identity while playing RPGs.
    Totally appropriate and welcome content.
  • Yann1989Yann1989 Member Posts: 92
    I think the author of this post says that the character we're talking about feels as inappropriate as if in-game NPCs would talk about climate change or modern terrorism. If you agree that Baldur's Gate happens at a period of history when all these topics weren't discussed, then it might feel a bit weird.

It is however not impossible to have any character that has identity trouble regarding their sexuality (correct me if I'm wrong, I have not met that character in-game so I'm not aware of the dialogue lines), but in this case, it is hard to imagine that this character would belong to the Flaming Fist, because the Flaming Fist guys are quite sturdy and virile. To make a comparison, I'm not sure there are a lot of LGBT in the army nowadays.

Anyway, we are bound to see more of these things in a lot of new cultural products because it reflects more and more the modern occidental times. And even if the game is not supposed to happen in modern occidental times, the devs that made it belong to this world. If it's just a non-important, anecdotal NPC I guess you can bear it, and this should really not define by itself whether the game is good or not.
  • killerrabbitkillerrabbit Member Posts: 402
    @Yann1989 This is not my best quality but -- I do admire a well executed troll. "quite sturdy and virile" indeed. Actually did make me laugh out loud. Nicely done.
  • Yann1989Yann1989 Member Posts: 92

@Yann1989 This is not my best quality but -- I do admire a well executed troll. "quite sturdy and virile" indeed. Actually did make me laugh out loud. Nicely done.

My memory may have failed me, this is however how I remember the Flaming Fist for having played the game several times. Maybe I should play the original game once again to verify if the guards from the Flaming Fist match my description.

What would be your description of the Flaming Fist?
    Yann1989 said:

I think the author of this post says that the character we're talking about feels as inappropriate as if in-game NPCs would talk about climate change or modern terrorism. If you agree that Baldur's Gate happens at a period of history when all these topics weren't discussed, then it might feel a bit weird.

Right Dungeons and Dragons -for me- is about pandering to hot lasses in Chain Mail fighting monsters in a water pit with the snakes wrapping around them. You inject some story about drone strikes or gender ID bully bad guys it just wrecks the immersion. That is why I did not like the surfer Cali guy Wild Mage in BG2. I myself did not like the Dorn romance - however I guess if you argue a King Richard you can justify it- and he was a fleshed out whole character who also happened to like men.

The sole and only purpose of the Mence......? character in the Flaming Fist Camp was to give me a Politically Correct Sensitivity class on Trans-Gender issues. It was a purposefully plan to put that in there by Beamdawg and messily or more likely ironically matched with TEMPEST the Thor style Viking Violent WAR VERY MALE God. It was a complete game breaker for me and made me realize I was not a tough guy warrior romancing a dusky evil Drow Lass but rather in a game with Letfy Canadians who want to get their political agenda out to me.
    edited April 2016
    Beowulf said:

I have the advanced UI with Minsc set to use Ranged NOT melee - yet he is constantly getting killed by trolls switching to dual wielding maces instead of shooting fire arrows. THis is back to BG 2 bug where you have to take out the melee weapons from the characters hands

Huh. Not been using the "Advanced AI" scripts myself since they're not, well, advanced enough. But from the sound of things I've just been sparing myself aggravation then. It seems like it has potential, but it needs more options and needs to actually do what it's supposed to apparently.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Beowulf said:

the Thor style Viking Violent WAR VERY MALE God.

I take offense to this. It's bad enough the English language has to make up weird variations of names it doesn't know quite how to pronounce (Thor is certainly spelled similar to Tor, but the pronounciation is nothing alike!), but attributing false personality traits? Now that's just wrong. Sure Tor was hot-tempered. Changed moods quite quickly even. And sure he one of his roles was that of a war god. But he was not especially violent, or cruel which is quickly associated with that. There's enough available lore online on *Tempus that you can refer to without having to slander gods that are part of my cultural heritage >:[
    I think of grand DnD: I harken back to my Childhood where I dreamed of defeating an evil snake with my super hot whole 100 percent fey female. When we played this module no Savage came up in a grass skirt and said-"I am Meccenaarcienayeemee I am Lord Girl Boy of the Isle of Dread- O not ask what lies under my grass skirt I identify in my own way as what I what the Abolteh wants me to be."

I think you guys must have played with those new wierd Sexual Campign books I looked at briefly in Barnes and Noble that had all kinds of strange bondage role play and adrgionius stuff in it. That has absolutely ZERO place in first/2nd edition DnD ok ok maybe in some 1985 Basement in New York there were some men role playing The Hill Giant Chief Module all strange- no I am not going to go into any great details. But, it is just a clear agenda of Beamdawg to put this minor character in there with the her major dialouge being on his/her sojourn of Gender acceptance. I am the first to defend some person from bullies- I actaully did defend a gay guy in the USMC who was getting bullied.

I am not going to let the PC preaching slide and just give Beamdawg a pass on that. It is clear they are all pot smoking hipsters in Canada who go to Glam shows after work and eat vegan moose tufo and non-gmo falpjacks. I bet they never even played Isle of Dread.

https://www.google.com/search?q=isle+of+dread+module&biw=1536&bih=764&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjWg57u9vDLAhUJYyYKHZMZBlIQ_AUIBygC#imgrc=ygfPTZn_A_2eSM:
This discussion has been closed.