Skip to content

Discussion of Mizhena That Damn Well Better Be Civil

dockaboomskidockaboomski Member Posts: 440
So, the last thread I saw about Mizhena was closed because it was offensive.

I want to state my opinion on her, and allow others to do so in a non-offensive way, or at least in such a way that will attempt to be non-offensive.

So watch yourselves, because she's obviously controversial and people will try to rant, and I expect this thread to be closed within a day or so.

So.
I love the idea. Having transgender characters in videogames helps move the world towards being a more accepting place, one that allows people to be who they are with no judgement. Media in general has slowly moved towards this throughout the years, especially in video games (let's call out BioWare). However (the big but) the character should matter. Mizhena, at least at the point I've gotten to, has simply remained the mobile church who just happens to be transgender. I feel that if this detail is going to be added, it either should be on a larger scale (ergo, more trans characters), or to a relevant NPC. It just (unfortunate as this sounds) seems unnecessary if the addition is rather arbitrary and the detail is still made the character's only development. It's too bad that the only thing that players remember about her is that she's 'that trans cleric', and that because of her, GOG is getting poor reviews on Siege of Dragonspear, even though it's pretty alright.

My apologies ahead of time for the mess I think I'm starting, and to anyone who thinks that I'm being too harsh. It's not my intention.
Post edited by dockaboomski on

Comments

• AlexisisinneedAlexisisinneed Member Posts: 470
    I feel bad for her. I mean she choose her name and she's still stuck with a horrible name.
  • Diogenes42Diogenes42 Member Posts: 597
    For real though it was cool to learn that about that character. She does have more to her than just that trait I think. You ask her for something later on and she fights you over it so she's got something of a personality. Sure she's just a little side character but you gotta start somewhere.
  • Diogenes42Diogenes42 Member Posts: 597
    Flashburn said:

Mizhena is unnecessary and only there to tick a box in the diversity checklist.

If we take your assertion at face value, why is that necessarily bad?
  • DillicDillic Member Posts: 16
    I would have liked to been able to criticize her over it, just as I could say, "well, good for you." All depending on my character in game.

Choices people.

Even if you want your diversity +2, add choices for all to partake in, otherwise it looks ham-fisted and reeks of agenda. Killing her outside of dialogue might be a chaotic evil choice, but that's about it.

(Needn't mention it, but I have nothing against trans, gays, or whatever. Good for them.)
  • FlashburnFlashburn Member Posts: 1,847
    And here comes @shawne, right on time, to indirectly berate those he disagrees with in typical fashion.

I didn't care enough about this to make a thread about it, but heaven forbid someone so much as rolls their eyes at pandering.
  • the_sexteinthe_sextein Member Posts: 711
    edited April 2016
    The way I see it is like this, if whoever wrote the story and created the characters for a movie, book ,game, ect... decided to include a character that is hetro, bi, trans, gay, blue skinned ,black, white ect, that is their decision to make. It doesn't matter if the writer had an agenda, a preference or simply felt like it added a little something to the piece as a whole. It's up to them and I don't really care either way.

I can see why it seems like such characters are being designed because it's a hot button topic to discuss or maybe because it is the politically correct thing to do but honestly I think it feels that way simply because the majority of people are hetro and don't seem to think of gay characters being represented in works of art as normal. They take hetro relationships in art as an effortless inclusion of there own reality without considering the reality of others.

The original Baldur's gate had lines of dialog that makes fun of fat characters all the time. Do I care? Not really, if they were to take it out I think it would be unnecessary but if that is what the creators of the game want then that is a decision they will make regardless of how I feel. Personally, I find racist, religious and fat jokes to be among the very best jokes there are. I do think the PC nature of the Millennial generation has sucked the fun out of it a bit but that's probably because of all of the freaks that don't know the difference between a joke and out right racism or persecution. If the writers of SOD wanted to make lines of dialogue that allow me to make fun of a person because of race, religion or sexual alignment I would be fine with that as well. They have freedom of speech like everyone else.

I don't want to be forced to be a racist or gay or whatever as the game player but if that is ever an issue and I don't want to partake in it then I simply won't buy the game or will ask for a refund. The way I see it is that you are not forced to be hetro in Baldur's gate. You have a choice of avoiding all romances if you want you are free to avoid the topic altogether so it's a win for everyone.

I read the Kotaku article and it mentions that women in the original Baldur's Gate were treated as sex objects or one dimensional beings that fit stereotypes. I didn't care then and I don't care now. If they want to remove it or create more of it that is up to them. I guess I am just not easily offended. I take humor in things if I can, even if the writer is obviously pushing an agenda.
  • VyrulisseVyrulisse Member Posts: 108
    edited April 2016
    I liked it until I asked one question and got dumped with a life story of struggle and identity. It was jarring and felt out of place to me, that's not something one would discuss with a stranger, even a hero such as yourself because they asked about your name. Perhaps it's just my personal way of doing things in life, but as soon as I saw that I pulled my head back and was like "Ok...?"

I commend them for trying at least, but the whole thing just felt forced and out of place. Perhaps a longer conversation that would lead into that would make it better to me.

Just to be clear in case anyone is oversensitive to any criticism, I LOVED the idea the character presented, I just didn't like how it was done.

Edit: Or have her stick around through various chapters, faithfully maintaining her post and as you progress new dialogue opens and you learn more about her and her struggle. Kinda like a Non-Companion Companion if that makes sense. May be too late to do such a thing but it's something to consider in the future. :)
  • InsultionInsultion Member Posts: 179

Flashburn said:

Mizhena is unnecessary and only there to tick a box in the diversity checklist.

If we take your assertion at face value, why is that necessarily bad?
    Principle, really, we have to define 'bad' before an accurate answer could be ascertained. I don't see the need to have transgendered folk represented in a world in which they would, canonically, most likely be shunned and shirked. Isn't that counterproductive either of the cause or of lore integrity?

Just my take, though, I didn't even realize she was transgendered. I thought she just had dickish parents.
  • Yann1989Yann1989 Member Posts: 92
    The questions that come to my mind:
    Is she happy with her identity? Did she build this identity from experience, or did she discover it over time?
    Is she able to picture somebody that she could love? Is it a man, a woman, another transgender?
    Does she want to found a family? If so, how? And what are the consequences for the children?
    Does she consider that sexual identity comes from nature for the main part or is she in fight against "stereotypes" because she's different and has suffered from intolerance?
    Is there a link between her gender identity and her spirituality?

I guess all these questions are difficult for a transgender. For some these are very personal questions but, as the character seems to be willing to talk about her private life... I guess that would give more depth to the character if she could answer to all these questions, but I don't know if this would be relevant for a mere NPC. What is more you don't know if this would be representative of most transgenders. But it can be a choice of the writer to express their point of view on the question.

Do all these questions have to be in a videogame like Baldur's Gate? I'd say it's up to the developers to choose what they want to do with their game. That's the freedom of the artist, whether the artist has deeply thought about it or if they are just influenced by the modern morals.
  • rjmacreadyrjmacready Member Posts: 91
    Oh great this is causing problems is it? Honestly the thought crossed my mind when I encountered this NPC about the equally stupid "REPREYZENTAYSHUN!" argument and the inevitable bigoted backlash some peope have when they think thats it.

All Ill say is I had the exact same reaction I did when I encountered the trans character in Dragon Age: "Err, good for you, let me know when you have somthing interesting to say". I have nothing againt them but Im on neither side of this debate. I dont see this as some kind of victory for the opressed and neither do I see it as evidence that "SOWSHUL JUZTIZ" is creeping into our games.

I just look at it like I do any other of the dozens of NPCs that are given characterization. Sometimes people take a liking to them and sometimes they dont. I dont care much for NPCs private problems like the Innkeepers wife troubles or Mizhenas backstory or say if there was a homosexual NPC having relationship troubles. Nothing wrong with that I just prefer NPCs like the recruits you can help train. Different folks, different strokes and all that. Ultimately I respect the writers freedom to write whatever kind of npc they want. If that one has trans related dialogue fair enough, its just not going to interest me much. But the idea of people getting upset because of it? Jeeze what a waste of effort.

Dont like that particular NPC or their backstory? Exit the dialogue and move. Thats what I did when I didnt find Mizhenas backstory interesting, and just came back for the healing. Happens all the time with hundreds of nit part NPCs for lots of different reasons. Mizhena being trans is no reason to throw a hissy fit.
  • GelmartyGelmarty Member Posts: 61
    edited April 2016
    I find it rather odd in a world, where green skin, the wrong godess and so on gets you killed. People are barely educated but they somehow accept a person who say she is a female in a boys body. Someone would probably think she is possessed, crazy or so on and either kill her or try to exorcist her. This fits better into a sci-fi game. Not a fantasy game filled with hate and conflict, wher things ARE black and white thanks to alignment systems. What happens when this character ends up in a Drow Elf society in the underdark? Lolth priestess and Ilharess all around.

And if the NPC is not that important. Why does it have an voice actor?

Shoe horning is not cool and Amber Scott should create her own world if she want to put things like this into it. This is a established setting, do not come tell us about DnD 5.0. The game and ruleset you use is old Advanced Dungeons and Dragons, before HASBRO catered to fringe groups that is not really making up for this economically. We can push it to not containing racism or violence to, since that is bad things in reallife. Thing is, games and movies are not real life and should not be.

All this talk about "Artist freedom":

Yes, we saw how much artist freedom the people at Blizzard had with that Tracer pose or how much freedom the Japanese have in their games. Suddenly the artist "integrity" do not matter anymore when it do not fit the political correct, the social justice movement ,the feminists and so on. Suddenly it do not matter. Suddenly it offends people. Suddenly things need to change. I really hope, I really really hope Obsidian dare goes the full way and create something brutal, dark and evil with their Tyranny. Really show casing human evil and decadence.
    lunar said:

I can not believe there is such a negative reaction to this character. When she told me of her story I was like 'Huh? Cool. Good for you, sis! Happy for it all worked out for you.' For she was clearly confident, and happy with her life and was one of the good people fighting by our side. And then never even thought about it. I actually liked her name too, sounded like Xena to me which was also cool. Guess I am a bit more accepting than most.

Then I saw videos on youtube of people attacking and chunking her after talking to her. Wow. Such virtual hatred. Ofcourse she is just a minor convenience npc in a video game, but if people react to such a minor npc that gravely, I wonder what they would do in real life, if one of their acquantances, a friend or family member would turn out to become a transgendered individual. So sad.

Nothing would happen. Why would they act worse in real life? You make it sound that people who kill something in a game is even worse in real life. I mean, do you try to communicate with the orcs, drows and tasloi in game? Do you put hold spells on them not to put them in place so you can avoid killing them? I hope you do since killing them without talking sound a bit racist to me. They are just missunderstood and you do not understand them since you never put your time down to learn their language. What do you do in real life when you don't understand a language and someone gesticulate around their hands and meant to warn you of something and you just killed them? You see where I am going right?
  • Yann1989Yann1989 Member Posts: 92
    edited April 2016
    @rjmacready

I don't think people here have problems with this NPC, they just wanted to express their point of view on it. No need to get aggressive.
    Yann1989 said:

@rjmacready

I don't think people here have problems with this NPC, they just wanted to express their point of view on it. No need to get aggressive.

The problem for most is the pat on the back, self rightous "We did good! Now we have progressed humanity!" attitude people bring here. If they could, they would tweak Tolkien to be more "modern" and have Aragon marry Arnar...
    @Yann1989 Oh Im not being aggressive. Its not aggression its exasperation.
  • AmmarAmmar Member Posts: 1,297
    It is one minor (though voice-acted) non-even joinable NPC in a large game. Given the number of them, it does not seem that the group is statistically over-represented. Seems really weird to get worked up about it.

As for the comparison that the wrong god or the wrong skin-color can you get killed in Faerun, that is because those things actually matter there. Unlike, the real gods some of the gods openly identify as evil. Not wanting followers of the god of plague, poison, murder or tyranny about is as rational as it gets.

One would even think that given that there is real black-white god and evil in Faerun, that this would make people actually less likely to worry to be concerned about the sexual preferences or gender identity of other people. Anyway, if you wanted you could play a transperson in BG 1 by using a certain girdle...

Much ado about nothing.
    Ammar said:

It is one minor (though voice-acted) non-even joinable NPC in a large game. Given the number of them, it does not seem that the group is statistically over-represented. Seems really weird to get worked up about it.

As for the comparison that the wrong god or the wrong skin-color can you get killed in Faerun, that is because those things actually matter there. Unlike, the real gods some of the gods openly identify as evil. Not wanting followers of the god of plague, poison, murder or tyranny about is as rational as it gets.

One would even think that given that there is real black-white god and evil in Faerun, that this would make people actually less likely to worry to be concerned about the sexual preferences or gender identity of other people. Anyway, if you wanted you could play a transperson in BG 1 by using a certain girdle...

Much ado about nothing.

You are litterally not a transperson. You are the other gender, geneitcally.

Also, If gods and evil exist. People probably worry about other things. I find it very silly that people have time to worry about their god damn gender when they live in turnips and goblins run rampant. You think the farmers of the real middle ages could do that? "Man I am a woman now":
    edited April 2016
    Ammar said:

Much ado about nothing.

Yeah, I think that sums up any kind of overly emotional response either way to this one small npc quite nicely.

Like or dont like I just cant see the need for much debate over something so small and innocuous. You could easily play the game and never know it was there.
  • AmmarAmmar Member Posts: 1,297
    Gelmarty said:

Also, If gods and evil exist. People probably worry about other things. I find it very silly that people have time to worry about their god damn gender when they live in turnips and goblins run rampant. You think the farmers of the real middle ages could do that? "Man I am a woman now":

If there is anything people always care about, regardless of the circumstances, sex and their self-image qualify.

Thinking confusion about your gender identity is a trivial thing that you can only worry about in modern society is revealing.

Ammar said:

Much ado about nothing.

Yeah, I think that sums up any kind of overly emotional response either way to this one small npc quite nicely.

Like or dont like I just cant see the need for some much debate over something so small and innocuous. You could easily play the game and never know it was there.
    Everything starts small. If you want to change something? Don't, make your own setting or use a fiting one (see 5th Edition in DnD, it is more open to this) if you gonna sell a product in that setting.
    Ammar said:

Gelmarty said:

If there is anything people always care about, regardless of the circumstances, sex and their self-image qualify.

Thinking confusion about your gender identity is a trivial thing that you can only worry about in modern society is revealing.
    Okay, I still do not see how this is relevant to Baldurs Gate and why no one think the person is crazy.
    gangler said:

Gelmarty said:

Ammar said:

Much ado about nothing.

Like or dont like I just cant see the need for some much debate over something so small and innocuous. You could easily play the game and never know it was there.
    Everything starts small. If you want to change something? Don't, make your own setting or use a fiting one (see 5th Edition in DnD, it is more open to this) if you gonna sell a product in that setting.
    They literally cannot change The Forgotten Realms. Everything they do has to go through Wizards of the Coast before it can be approved.

You're projecting your own imagined version of a Forgotten Realms with no trans people and then getting pissed off at Beamdog for contradicting your headcannon.
    And you somehow proclaim transgender is common in Forgotten Realms? As of Advanced Dungeons and Dragons WHICH this game belong to, Im pretty sure it is not. Current "Sex" table in 5th Edition is all just catering and shoe horning and not interesting to this debate.
This discussion has been closed.