Skip to content

The gauntlet has been thrown down. GOG news about how to mod BG1.

shawneshawne Member Posts: 3,239
edited September 2012 in Archive (General Discussion)
GOG has apparently taken a few lessons in cheeky marketing...

http://www.gog.com/en/news/enhance_the_gameplay_in_your_edition_of_baldurs_gate_from_gogcom

Money quote: "That's why some people would go a great distance modding and upgrading both those titles to combine them into one, seamless, visually updated game--an enhanced edition, if you will. We're well aware of a commercial project aiming to achieve that goal. Originally, actually, that was scheduled to release today. That didn't happen, unfortunately, but that does give us a great reason to tell you how to make your own enhanced edition of Baldur's Gate. It's very nearly hassle-free and (especially with the sale going on) it won't cost you much at all. There's one catch, though: you need copies of both Baldur's Gate and Baldur's Gate 2 in order to enhance your game. Let's see how! One of our users, GoJays2025, committed his time to write a comprehensive guide on the topic. We know not all of you dare to venture into our forums, so we thought that sharing this guide here, might be a good idea--even more so during our Diamonds of D&D where you can get both Baldur's Gate games for as little as $7!"
Post edited by Tanthalas on

Comments

• BjjorickBjjorick Member Posts: 1,208
    Lol @shawne, no worries, most people will read that, and say 'wow, that's ALOT of work. I think i'd rather pay the 19 usd for the commercial EE instead of trying to make my own EE.

Well, at least most americans. But good catch bro, and you can't blame them for trying to get some of the run off from this projects popularity. Remember, imitation is the most sincere form of flattery. :P
  • DelvarianDelvarian Member Posts: 1,232
    I have to agree with Bjjorick. I get far too intimidated with computer stuff to attempt and add mods to the game. When I attempt it usually fails. Rather pay the twenty bucks.
  • ResurrectionResurrection Member Posts: 18
    Sucker punch... That's what you get when you actually postpone the release to work with the community some more. Not to mention some problems with their procedure! They missed pretty essential BGTTweak. They include story restoring Unfinished bussinesses but omit Ascension (by David Gaider himself), Oversight and Redemption. And they do recommend BG2Tweak Pack, which is pretty complex and hard to understand for newbies and can easily "break" your game by giving stuff you don't really like without you immidiately noticing. Uninstalling later on is available but might not fix it always. I played BGT in many setups countless of times but I would never ever consider it a "official or even generally recommended way of doing it". Modders know it and BGEE project proves it, there are very many "hidden" issues to it that our bound to manifest more mods you throw in the pack and even with just few...
  • Kitteh_On_A_CloudKitteh_On_A_Cloud Member Posts: 1,629
    This is outright despicable. It's so typical: profiting from another's 'mistake' to create more profit for yourself. Fuck you, GoG.
  • KilivitzKilivitz Member Posts: 1,459
    Seems to me they're just trying to squeeze every last cent they can from BG before the EE makes the original version of the game obsolete.

Trust me, even if BG:EE ends up getting bad reviews and/or being considered too different from the original experience, most people (specially newcomers) will choose it. If not for being the "new shiny version", mostly because compatibility on newer systems is guaranteed.

Not to mention the Mac/portable versions.

This is a battle GOG can't win, really.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • ShinShin Member Posts: 2,345
    I would expect most people who play BG seriously realized this the minute they read what the EE would and would not feature, so can't really blame GoG for pointing it out. Likewise, most people who play BG seriously will likely buy the EE no matter what.
  • RythgarRythgar Member Posts: 101
    Considering the nature of the whole thing, we might see BG:EE on GoG before too long. The intellectual property is still held by Bioware/EA/WOTC and whoever else: they might use the Enhanced Edition as a replacement of the original title wherever it may be. Why let GoG sell the old version when the new one is available?
  • Metal_HurlantMetal_Hurlant Member Posts: 324
    I like how GOG says, "It's very nearly hassle-free " and then go onto a 15 point procedure to enhance BG1 including having to buy BG2 and download mods. Ah, too much hassle for me.

I just want to install one game and then play it.
  • RythgarRythgar Member Posts: 101
    @kilroy_was_here Precisely.
  • moody_magemoody_mage Member Posts: 2,054
    Any publicity is good publicity. And most people who may have bought BG from GOG will most likely go ahead and buy BGEE as well (if they haven't sone so already).
  • shawneshawne Member Posts: 3,239
    It's not the sale I have a problem with, it's the fact that they explicitly referenced both the EE and its delay even though that wasn't directly relevant to their promotion. Something not quite kosher about that, IMO.

Besides, once the EE comes out they can do the same thing in reverse. Want to play the best version of Baldurs Gate WITHOUT having 15 additional steps from Gog? Plus NPCs/voice sets/quests/items/portraits/I think I missed something! :)

Just to play devil's advocate: while I'm sure the EE's done a fine job of squashing bugs, contractual limitations have kept Beamdog from restoring broken/missing content like Kagain's quest or Ice Island. So from where I'm sitting, the EE still requires certain mods and tweaks to be "the best version of Baldur's Gate" - and if I hadn't already made the decision to buy the EE, I'd definitely pause at the notion of spending $20 as opposed to $7 when I have to go through the process of installing mods anyway...
  • The_New_RomanceThe_New_Romance Member Posts: 839
    edited September 2012
    Last time I checked, both BG games together cost 6.39$ each, which means both cost nearly 13$. They're pretty much swindling - the cheap bundle price only applies if you buy all D&D games together, which will cost you about 30$.

So, ask yourself if BG:EE is worth 7 bucks more than buying the components piecemeal and then "easily" sticking them all together and saying hello to lots of nice incompatibilities and bugs. I hope GOG customers - of which I am one as well - are able to think this through and not fall prey to the marketing tricks of GOG. I know their statements might have been in jest, but I guess it's just not good sportsmanship - something which in my opinion counts a lot for indie and old-school gamers. Maybe they just shot themselves in the foot by generating more buzz for BG:EE while looking somewhat unsympathetic themselves.
  • KilivitzKilivitz Member Posts: 1,459
    shawne said:

Just to play devil's advocate: while I'm sure the EE's done a fine job of squashing bugs, contractual limitations have kept Beamdog from restoring broken/missing content like Kagain's quest or Ice Island. So from where I'm sitting, the EE still requires certain mods and tweaks to be "the best version of Baldur's Gate" - and if I hadn't already made the decision to buy the EE, I'd definitely pause at the notion of spending $20 as opposed to $7 when I have to go through the process of installing mods anyway...

This, of course, assuming that installing BG:EE and installing Tutu will give you the exact same experience. I find that unlikely.
  • shawnppickettshawnppickett Member Posts: 25
    Hell, I've got the cd's for BG, BG TOtSC, BG2, and BG2 TOB, and I may even go and reload them and add all of these mods to play, and I still can't wait for BG:EE. Hell, I'm mulling over buying a Tablet to play the Android version on (of course if they make it playable on my Kindle Fire, I won't need to buy a tablet...) ;-)
  • FredjoFredjo Member Posts: 477
    Promoting their "hassle-free" version would've been alright with me if they wouldn't have acted as if you can create your own BGEE, which is obviously a lie. Their 15-steps plan is missing all the new content and basically just makes BGs playable on todays computers with a bunch of bug fixes.
  • shawneshawne Member Posts: 3,239
    Kilivitz said:

This, of course, assuming that installing BG:EE and installing Tutu will give you the exact same experience. I find that unlikely.

I don't think it's a question of having the exact same experience per se - after all, Neera, Dorn and Rasaad aren't mods you can install or uninstall at your whim, and the same is true for whatever new content comes with them. That's something only the EE can offer.

However - strictly in terms of content rather than mechanics - that's about all the EE can offer. We're all aware of the existing limitations: Beamdog can't change or expand existing NPCs, they can't use story-based mods that tie off loose ends (ie: Angelo recognizing Shar-Teel or Branwen actually reacting when you confront the man who petrified her), they can't even incorporate something as fundamentally essential as David Gaider's "Ascension". The only way that material can make it into the game is if the modding community adapts it for the EE - so you're still going to end up with a list of mods to run through.

This isn't to devalue Beamdog's work or to turn people against the EE; as I said, I'm buying it anyway. But I think it's going to be a much tougher sell than people here may think, particularly with GOG actively setting itself up as a cheaper alternative.
  • ajwzajwz Member Posts: 4,122
    There are always going to be people who want to play the original classic Baldur's gate, which is fine.

My personal benchmark for the success/failiure of BG:EE is if this is the game I click on whenever I decide to do another run through of Baldur's gate.
  • ChippyChippy Member Posts: 241
    GOG just lost a customer. They can keep trying to undercut Overhaul, but surely BG:EE offers more than what GOG is offering. It wouldn't hurt if future DLC was incompatible with GOG's version and modders continued to support Overhaul as well. Hope this doesn't form a rift in the modding community.