Skip to content

Any modern AD&D games similar to BG or IWD?

TaisharTaishar Member Posts: 27
edited September 2012 in Archive (General Discussion)
Thanks!

Comments

• The_New_RomanceThe_New_Romance Member Posts: 839
    If you really mean AD&D games, there are none. AD&D as a ruleset hasn't been supported since 1999 or something. Fantasy games that are similar... well. Not really. Usually it's either D&D ruleset (the current one is 4th Edition, but that's really different from the rules in BG and IWD), or selfmade systems like in Dragon Age.

However, if you mean modern fantasy games similar to BG or IWD... well, then still none. Project Eternity (above) seems to go in that direction, but won't be out for at least 1.5 years. Spiderweb Software might be interesting for you, they still make party-based isometric RPGs. Closest thing I can think of right now.
  • theJoshFrosttheJoshFrost Member Posts: 171
    If you're talking AD&D games, no, and there probably will never be an AD&D game ever again. It's time is gone, any future Dungeons and Dragons games will probably feature the iteration that's being supported during the games production.

There's been a 4th edition game, Daggerdale I think it was called? But I've heard horrible things about it. The closest thing to Baldur's Gate or IWD you're gonna get now a days is Dragon Age, but even then, that's more similar to Knights of the Old Republic I think, in terms of gameplay.
  • TaisharTaishar Member Posts: 27
    Thanks. Yeah, i dont know the AD&D vs 3rd edition vs 4th edition vs. whatever differences. I was talking more about the playstyle of BG/IWD.

Thanks!
  • TalvraeTalvrae Member Posts: 315
    Euh...... Planescape Torment?
  • ST4TICStrikerST4TICStriker Member Posts: 162
    D&D DaggerDale!!!
  • LemernisLemernis Member, Moderator Posts: 4,318
    Some of the fantasy CRPGs that are broadly in the same ballpark, although rulesets and setting vary

Ice Wind Dale games are closest as noted.
    Planescape: Torment
    Temple of Elemental Evil
    A Bard's Tale
    Ultima
    The Elder Scrolls games
    Neverwinter Nights games
    Dragon Age games
  • Roller12Roller12 Member Posts: 437
    Tetris is pretty close.
  • SpaceInvaderSpaceInvader Member Posts: 2,125
    koteko said:

As far as I know, there's only a future one: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/obsidian/project-eternity

If anybody knows something even just roughly similar to BG, I'd be happy to try it :)

Didn't know o.O
  • MilochMiloch Member Posts: 863
    The problem is with the "modern" in that question. Apart from what's said about AD&D, isometric top-down style games are a dying breed, unfortunately. In addition to those that @Lemernis mentioned, you could add some older obscure games such as Siege of Avalon.

http://soaos.sourceforge.net/

And if you want to go back even further, some of the "gold box" SSI AD&D games like Pool of Radiance etc. Some of those might even have some more modern ports/conversions... haven't really looked into them though.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gold_Box
  • etaglocetagloc Member Posts: 349
    koteko said:

As far as I know, there's only a future one: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/obsidian/project-eternity

If anybody knows something even just roughly similar to BG, I'd be happy to try it :)

hot dang. im def gona back this one.. this along with wasteland is going to be awesome, really like were this is kickstarter thing is going..
    as i am getting older, the big publishers rarely release anything i really like anymore.
    I hope this will create a nice little niche of games that i can enjoy. ; )
    Everybody's providing links, so you might want to check out http://www.spidweb.com/ as well. I've played Avadon and Avernum, and while they are not exactly Baldur's Gate (for example, their combat is turn-based and the graphics are not quite it), they are fun in their own right. Both are also available on Steam, if you care about that.

Also possibly interesting might be this one (haven't heard a lot about it, though): http://inquisitor-rpg.com/ - it's pretty new, but still in the old style.
  • TaisharTaishar Member Posts: 27
    Thanks all!
    edited September 2012
    @Miloch

And if you want to go back even further, some of the "gold box" SSI AD&D games like Pool of Radiance etc. Some of those might even have some more modern ports/conversions... haven't really looked into them though.
    Pool of radiance was remade into 3ed and in isometric view, full 3D. Its a.. not totally bad of a game provided you are into this kind of stuff.

• ajwzajwz Member Posts: 4,122
    Pool of radiance: We have the slowest zombies you have ever seen
    haha! thats a good one.
  • MilochMiloch Member Posts: 863
    Yeah, I think I'dheard Pools of Radiance had been remade... didn't know if it was any good though. I seem to recall it had mixed reviews.

Some of the old Ultima series games have been remade too, some pretty good from what I've heard (haven't played any of the remakes yet though). One of them (maybe U6) uses the Dungeon Siege engine I believe.
    edited September 2012
    Uh gosh. Pool of Radiance. One of the most disappointing experiences of my gaming life. Still sad it was so crappy.
    Post edited by The_New_Romance on
  • triclops41triclops41 Member Posts: 207
    Are there any isometric psuedo realtime CRPS other than BG and IWD? DAO and NWN 1+2 kinda fit, but is that it?
  • jpierce55jpierce55 Member Posts: 86
    No modern d&d games comparable. As far as modern RPG's go, I did like Divinty 2 DKS. Unlike many modern rpg's it does have a story line.

Are there any isometric psuedo realtime CRPS other than BG and IWD? DAO and NWN 1+2 kinda fit, but is that it?

As I think has been mentioned above, Planescape Torment, Seriously, play it.

jpierce55 said:

No modern d&d games comparable. As far as modern RPG's go, I did like Divinty 2 DKS. Unlike many modern rpg's it does have a story line.

Divinity 2 was such a pleasant surprise for me. Never expected it to be half as good as it when I picked it up randomly at the shops.

• triclops41triclops41 Member Posts: 207
    ajwz said:

Tried, but resolution and interface are too much of a hurdle. Same with BG games on GOG recently. I dont consider myself a graphics whore, and I played the hell out of BG 1 and 2 when they came out, but there is a certain choppiness that really is frustrating for me now.
    Hoping the improvements in BGEE fix it for me.
  • KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    edited September 2012
    Well, there is also Das Schwarze Auge/The Dark Eye: Herokon Online; a new isometric top-down style f2p MMORPG browser game. Currently it's only open beta in German, though an English version is in the making.
  • sandmanCCLsandmanCCL Member Posts: 1,389
    I really liked Pool of Radiance. It was one of those games where it was really bad upon launch but subsequent patches fixed a lot of what made the initial experience a chore.

I have to second @The_New_Romance on the Spiderweb Software games. They feel a little too dated for my tastes but the experience was still pretty funny. I just wish their titles weren't quite so minimalistic.
  • bigdogchrisbigdogchris Member Posts: 1,336
    I think that if BD ends up making BG3 that the guys at Spiderweb would be great to work with.
  • AHFAHF Member Posts: 1,376

ajwz said:

Tried, but resolution and interface are too much of a hurdle. Same with BG games on GOG recently. I dont consider myself a graphics whore, and I played the hell out of BG 1 and 2 when they came out, but there is a certain choppiness that really is frustrating for me now.
    Hoping the improvements in BGEE fix it for me.
    Did you use the Gibberlings widescreen mod to improve the graphics?
  • francfort40francfort40 Member Posts: 20
    Everyone forgot two good games too Darksun!!!! and wake of the ravager!!! that are similar iso-party games
  • jolly_bbjolly_bb Member Posts: 122
    This Project Eternity seems like a way to go. something to wait for definitely!
  • NecdilzorNecdilzor Member Posts: 279
    I hope it gets a DRM free release at Gog :D