Skip to content

Any modern AD&D games similar to BG or IWD?

2»

Comments

• triclops41triclops41 Member Posts: 207
    AHF said:

ajwz said:

Are there any isometric psuedo realtime CRPS other than BG and IWD? DAO and NWN 1+2 kinda fit, but is that it?

As I think has been mentioned above, Planescape Torment, Seriously, play it.

Tried, but resolution and interface are too much of a hurdle. Same with BG games on GOG recently. I dont consider myself a graphics whore, and I played the hell out of BG 1 and 2 when they came out, but there is a certain choppiness that really is frustrating for me now.
    Hoping the improvements in BGEE fix it for me.
    Did you use the Gibberlings widescreen mod to improve the graphics?
    Yes, but didn't help enough :(
  • DraxAndargDraxAndarg Member Posts: 15
    The Eschalon series by Basilisk Games is isometric, but you play solo. I've only played Book 2, though.
  • Awong124Awong124 Member Posts: 2,643

The Eschalon series by Basilisk Games is isometric, but you play solo. I've only played Book 2, though.

Thanks for the recommendation. I just checked it out and it looks quite good, I'll probably buy it sometime in the future.
  • roboticsunroboticsun Member Posts: 42
    AD&D rule set is no longer supported right now. I would recommend Drakensang series (the Dark Eye and River of Time) . this series used the dark eye rule set which is a german PnP system similar to D&D. if you do not care about rule set, Dragon Age Origins is also good.
  • GilgalahadGilgalahad Member Posts: 237
    I checked out Inquisitor(not to be confused with the upcoming new dragon age game) and based on the info and demo looks more like a diablo or dungeon siege type of hack'n'slash than any bg game. At least to me, that's the impression i get.
  • mthrlmthrl Member Posts: 5
    I remember playing Lionheart, which also used an isometric RPG. Unfortunately I lost one of the CDs and never finished it, it was decent though as far as I can remember - more of a hack n' slash though.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lionheart:_Legacy_of_the_Crusader

Also, does anyone remember Arcanum?
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arcanum:_Of_Steamworks_and_Magick_Obscura

Was an excellent game when it came out, although the graphics might be a little dated now.

Honestly, I've always held the opinion that 3D ruined CRPGs. I haven't played a fully 3D RPG that I've enjoyed as much as I did the Baldur's Gate and Icewind Dale series.
  • Tr_ondTr_ond Member Posts: 496
    edited September 2012
    @Necdilzor Project Eternity Update 4 :
    " You asked and we are delivering. In conjunction with GOG, we are going to offer a DRM free version of the game for our Kickstarter Backers. When the campaign ends, you will be able to choose whether you would like a key from GOG or Steam. For our Mac friends, we are still working on a DRM free option, since GOG does not currently support the Mac. "
  • NecdilzorNecdilzor Member Posts: 279
    Tr_ond said:

@Necdilzor Project Eternity Update 4 :
    " You asked and we are delivering. In conjunction with GOG, we are going to offer a DRM free version of the game for our Kickstarter Backers. When the campaign ends, you will be able to choose whether you would like a key from GOG or Steam. For our Mac friends, we are still working on a DRM free option, since GOG does not currently support the Mac. "

I never understood if that is exclusive for backers or if it's going definitely to GOG. :S

• GueulEclatorGueulEclator Member Posts: 175
    Hey thanks for the guy who mentioned project eternity! It's insane, I can't believe I missed such a big announcement. It's basically going to be something similar to the Baldur's gate 3 we've been expecting all these years

What's more funny is that if overhaul makes BG 3, it will probably come out at the same time than project eternity. They will both compete, and this competition may completely revive and revitalize the isometric RPGs.
  • neleotheszeneleothesze Member Posts: 231
    edited September 2012
    I second @DraxAndarg 's suggestion. If you don't mind a single player experience, the Eschalon, Book 1 and Book 2 games are very interesting. The lore is nice if you pay attention to it, it has an isometric perspective, it's worth replaying to check out multiple class builds and the descriptions you get from time to time give you a sense of a talented DM telling you things about the places he created. ...There was one thing that I remember, I was walking through a dungeon and when I managed to open a locked door a description popped up that there was nothing in the room other than the decomposing body of a man and a bucket full of some 'dark, foul-smelling, unidentifiable slop teeming with cockroaches'. It really creeped me out and got me into the feeling of being in a dungeon.
    Post edited by neleothesze on