Skip to content

This hate …

… and this pointless back and forth has been going on way too long and it has to stop. Well, of course it is not my place to tell anyone here what to say or do, but for me this ends right here and now.

I have always rather been a lurker in these forums, but written participation aside it has always felt like home. So for the past days I have been lurking… not only here but on the steam boards, metacritic and GoG and I have to admit it is fascinating! Although fascinating in a psycho-horror-movie-kinda way… You know like when someone is slowly being gutted with a dull knife and it makes you sick just to look at the scene but you simply can't turn off the screen. This “horror show” of modern internetism (probably not a word) just give me the creeps. So I personally will go on a nice little offline-holliday for a couple of days till things have settled down because guess what:

I haven't even started playing the damn game!!!

This whole mess distracts me from something really amazing: After 18 years the masterpiece BG finally has new content and I'm sitting here wasting my precious time on this s**t debate. So this is what I will do:

Right after posting this I will pour myself a tasty drink (probably rum), fire up BG:EE and finally finish my fighter/thief dual playthrough and kill Sarevok. Than I will play the hell out of SoD till I have a good and well informed opinion on what that expansion is and what it isn't. After that I'll write an honest review on steam, GoG and metacritic. If the game is to my liking, I'll recommend it to my friends and I'll come to this forum and thank the developers. If the game is not good at all, than I'll come here as well, writing down my critique in a civil fashion and hopefully engage with other players and the devs in constructive conversation.

After that I'm probably gonna play some more BG… ;)

See you all in a couple of days or weeks! Enjoy the game instead of wasting your time here… and when we come back and the vomit in our living room has dried, we'll just clean up and keep heroic adventuring.

*mic drop*

Comments

• Diogenes42Diogenes42 Member Posts: 597
    Good luck friend, I hope you enjoy Siege of Dragonspear.
  • spacehamzterspacehamzter Member Posts: 77
    Vodka here, I loved the game. I cried and laughed. I just wished they would have kept out the stuff that people struggle with.
  • DaevelonDaevelon Member Posts: 605
    I quote everything. I needed to read something like this after all the crap the somebody keep enjoy to trash to this amazing forum. Thank you
  • OsigoldOsigold Member Posts: 117
    It's a discussion forum, not your living room. Don't act like someone saying something you disagree with is the same as befouling your sofa. Do enjoy the game and have a great time playing it. You are very much the intended consumer.
  • woowoovoodoowoowoovoodoo Member Posts: 150
    Osigold said:

Don't act <...>. Do enjoy <...>

Are you a moderator?
    edited April 2016
    They were suggestions, not orders, and I stand by them. It's toxic to treat hearing dissenting opinions in a place devoted to discussion as though it was somehow polluting your special place... and it's fun to enjoy yourself while playing games!
  • TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,264
    edited April 2016
    @woowoovoodoo That is not a moderator. You can tell someone is a moderator when they have the gray background shading on their posts, like I have. The most definitive way to find out if someone is a moderator is to look at their profile and check their "roles" if it says "moderator", then they are a moderator. If it says "administrator", then they are a site manager.
  • FrancoisFrancois Member Posts: 452
    It's going to be either brandy or vodka for me tonight. I bought it today but but I haven't started playing yet is because it seems I have to re-install the whole game from GoG. I downloaded the expansion but it can't install without the latest patch and I can't find a patches anywhere on GoG for BG1EE.
  • DabusDabus Member Posts: 27
    I say this as someone who was a supporter of Gamergate and still sympathetic to them.

The overreaction to the content in the game is getting to the point of being embarrassing.

Watched an LP last night. Game looks fun and there was some legitimately funny lines. I watched someone get to the part where they reach Mizhena and wondering why people are all up in arms about this. I'm wondering why people are all up in arms about Minsc's easter egg GG quote. All this hate towards to the game is silly. I'd love to try it. Money is my only barrier at the moment. But I promise if and when I do play the game, I will base it on it's story, characters, gameplay and technical aspects. So long as the bugs are patched, I'm pretty sure I'll enjoy this game very much.
    The game does have some good comedy moments, I'll give it that. Some of their early use of Minsc is actually quite entertaining.
    edited April 2016
    Francois said:

It's going to be either brandy or vodka for me tonight. I bought it today but but I haven't started playing yet is because it seems I have to re-install the whole game from GoG. I downloaded the expansion but it can't install without the latest patch and I can't find a patches anywhere on GoG for BG1EE.

Actually, and please someone correct me if i'm wrong, you can play without problems, because SoD will install bgee+SoD completely, and it will use just the folders of saves, characters etc. from bgee.

EDIT: https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/comment/729853/#Comment_729853
    edited April 2016
    I had BG1EE installed long ago (from GoG, not Beamdog) and today I simply downloaded SOD. When I try to run the install, it tells me it doesn't work with this version of the base game (I think it was 1.3.something). Anyway I uninstalled it and I am re-installing using GoG Galaxy (which was not used for the install of the base game long ago).
    So i don't understand. It was really needed to upgrade bgee for make an installation that will anyway install everything? Or maybe the installations are different with a Mac? I installed on windows...
    Anyway sorry for the off-topic, i advice @Francois to ask directly on the same topic i linked.
  • BelegCuthalionBelegCuthalion Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 453
    that's what i just wrote in another forum: after a while, this thing (and the banner waving id***s refusing rating stars because of a detail that does not go along with their perception of the world) will go away, and what will be left is another episode of baldurs gate we can play with.

(I like the dry puke analogy further above though :smiley: )
  • MiloMilo Member Posts: 59
    Dabus said:

The overreaction to the content in the game is getting to the point of being embarrassing.

Oh, it was embarrassing about 48 hours ago when this really was heating up.

At this point I'm pretty convinced I'm having an extended fever dream.

One of the GG trolls...ahem, I mean valued new forum members that joined within the last 2 days, said something to the effect of "....we simply won't stand for this level of hostility".

Hostility? Really? If a throwaway, easter egg line in a video game constitutes hostility, the world must be an extremely terrifying place for you and for that you have my sympathy.

For the over dramatized outrage over a line of dialogue in a game?

Noooooooooope.
  • PurudayaPurudaya Member Posts: 816
    edited April 2016
    Dabus said:

I say this as someone who was a supporter of Gamergate and still sympathetic to them.

Watched an LP last night. Game looks fun and there was some legitimately funny lines. I watched someone get to the part where they reach Mizhena and wondering why people are all up in arms about this. I'm wondering why people are all up in arms about Minsc's easter egg GG quote. All this hate towards to the game is silly. I'd love to try it. Money is my only barrier at the moment. But I promise if and when I do play the game, I will base it on it's story, characters, gameplay and technical aspects. So long as the bugs are patched, I'm pretty sure I'll enjoy this game very much.

@Dabus Where did you happen to buy bg:ee? GoG, Beamdog, or Steam? (If you don't mind me asking)
    edited April 2016
    Purudaya said:

Dabus said:

@Dabus Where did you happen to buy bg:ee? GoG, Beamdog, or Steam? (If you don't mind me asking)
    Funny you mention this. I did not have BG:EE, only the original. A friend of mine (from GG actually) just gifted me it about a half hour ago on GOG since I mentioned I'm going to probably eventually buy Siege of Dragonspear and I need the EE to get it. When I have the spare 20 bucks, I'm going to get SoD on GOG.
    Finally, my download/install of the game is complete. Let's give it a good shake and see what falls out!
  • VakarianVakarian Member Posts: 94
    edited April 2016
    I was thinking about posting something pretty much identical to the OP this evening. As I don't think I could do a much better job of it, I will just raise my glass of Caol Ila to you before getting back to finishing my BG:EE run with my Blade (or maybe the stalker...or the shadowdancer?) to take into SoD.
    Dabus said:

Purudaya said:

Dabus said:

Funny you mention this. I did not have BG:EE, only the original. A friend of mine (from GG actually) just gifted me it about a half hour ago on GOG since I mentioned I'm going to probably eventually buy Siege of Dragonspear and I need the EE to get it. When I have the spare 20 bucks, I'm going to get SoD on GOG.
    Are you planning on playing through BG:EE first or jumping straight into Siege?
    Purudaya said:

Dabus said:

Purudaya said:

Dabus said:

Probably play through BG:EE first but regardless, I'll purchase Siege when I have the cash monies.
    Dabus said:

Purudaya said:

Dabus said:

Purudaya said:

Dabus said:

Probably play through BG:EE first but regardless, I'll purchase Siege when I have the cash monies.
    Just curious if most people are doing full runthroughs. Hope you enjoy the series :smile:
  • MonkeyLungsMonkeyLungs Member Posts: 44
    I'm doing a full run through playing a class I think I have only played once, Cleric. LOVE the new UI, still LOVE the game it is as fun as ever. Spring is here though and work for me is NUTS in spring as the business I work for is seasonal and so my game playing time takes a sharp nose dive right about now. So I'm getting through the game and having an absolute blast, but it is slow going. I can't wait to get to SoD and all this craziness is not dampening my spirits. I just wish it was still winter because I would have already completed one run and would be able to get some reviews out. As it stands, it will be a bit before I finish my play through and I am not going to alter the way I enjoy this great game and the new expansion just because a bunch of dishonest people are trying to tank it's success.
  • skeptik_59skeptik_59 Member Posts: 38
    Vakarian said:

I was thinking about posting something pretty much identical to the OP this evening. As I don't think I could do a much better job of it, I will just raise my glass of Caol Ila to you before getting back to finishing my BG:EE run with my Blade (or maybe the stalker...or the shadowdancer?) to take into SoD.

Oooh, ooh go for the Blade! Love that class and kit. Even if it's a repeat run-through, go for the Blade! >laffs< I'm always *singing* the virtues of that class [pun intended]....
  • TheSnarkyShamanTheSnarkyShaman Member Posts: 10
    Cheers for the illuminating post. I just came on here to read some reviews and got distracted by this insane 'discussion' and trying to figure out what the hell gamer gate is and why I should care. In my 25 years I have never had a conversation in person quite like the hostile and juvenile stuff that is going on in these threads, presumably because the people I interact with in person have too many actual real life issues to deal with to worry about being exposed to dangerous and sinister new concepts such as LGBT inclusiveness in video games.

I think I'll grab a beer and get my BG1 playthrough finished.
    edited April 2016
    Purudaya said:

Just curious if most people are doing full runthroughs. Hope you enjoy the series :smile:

Me I started a new game a few weeks ago in prevision, but I really don't feel like going through all of BG1 again now. I chose one of my many old saved games with a neutral halfling kensai, (+Minsc, Dynaheir, Neera and Imoen.). For SOD I think I will probably recruit Minsc/Dynaheir and 3 new guys.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
    I imported a level 6 party and some of the early fights were pretty brutal. All the leveling was fun, though.