Skip to content

Voice acting of the new party-joinable NPC's.

KhyronKhyron Member Posts: 632
edited September 2012 in Archive (General Discussion)
I've listened to that which has been released to us so far and I've got a few questions.

1. The samples we've heard, are they just raw samples that will still be prosessed, filtered or whatever you audio-dudes call it?

2. Has anyone else noticed how they sound completely out of place, compared to the original npc's? Both in terms of quality of the sound itself and the general feel of the chars?

Going in depth of question 2.. It's just.. they sound so.. American, know what I mean? None of the original npc's (that i can think of) have such an obvious American accent like Neera does.. and I'm not sure I like it.

I'm not even sure what I want to point out here.. it just sounds so wrong, in comparisin to the original voicesets.

Comments

• DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    Imoen's pretty darn American. So is Aerie, and Jan, and Valygar... Neera, in contrast, sounds more Canadian.

It's a pretty good balance of American and not-American dialect. Her dialect doesn't bother me.

Also, I think the files haven't been filtered yet. The bass levels for Rasaad, for instance, seem just a little bit high in comparison to the rest of the game. (I'm not used to feeling my subwoofer vibrate for dialogue, y'know?)
  • ArcalianArcalian Member Posts: 359
    edited September 2012
    Rashaad doesn't sound at all American. As for American accents in BG1, let's see; Imoen, Khalid, Montaron, Xzar, Xan, Safana, Kagain, Flaming Fist soldiers, Amnish soldiers, bandits, Quayle, Tiax, Shar-Teel, Gorion, Sarevok, most merchants, Hobgoblins, Thalantyr, the High Priest outside Beregost, Scar, some of the commoners, and probably more I'm forgetting.
  • DavidWDavidW Member Posts: 823
    And why not, anyway? It's translated from some Faerunian language; why not translate it into American English rather than British English?
  • CheesebellyCheesebelly Member Posts: 1,727
    Rasaad's DEFINITELY not American. Strong R sounds, typical of Slavic tongues, maybe Greek or Arabic? Not sure on the latter two. It stroke me as a southern Slavic accent actually.
  • MajocaMajoca Member Posts: 263
    @Arcalian

it sounds like an american trying to do a different accent, it does not sound natural. I prefer the use of natural born accents or actors like Frank Welker who does xzar's voice where the actor can do many voices which sound seperate. some people can imitate accents really well, Omi dhajil can make a really natural sounding nigeria accent though he is from a british and arabic background.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qgUkHYPXh9s

I agree with @Khyron I understand what he says, however I do not mind, the characters sound full o character and the stories are great, I think in game they will sound better.
  • salierisalieri Member Posts: 245
    Rasaad sounds totally like a Canadian doing an indeterminate middle/near-eastern accent. I'm hoping I'll get used to it. I don't totally hate it or anything, but I don't find it especially convincing.

Out of the voices in BG1, I think Gorion and Thalantyr at least were doing their best not to sound American. I'm trying hard to think how Montaron sounded, but I seem to remember him being kind of Cornish.

Does anyone remember the Legacy of Kain series? God I loved the voices in that.
  • KhyronKhyron Member Posts: 632
    Well hell if I know.. I just feel that the new npc's dont quite have the quality in the voicesets, compared to the original ones. As for vanilla npc's having accents from god knows where, I just don't find it as obvious as the new ones.. I guess that's what I'm trying to say.

To my ear most, if not all, vanilla npc's have such generic accents that it's not really anything to notice.. these new ones just struck me as completely out of place and alien. Especially with Neera's voiceset.

Maybe I'm just being dense.. but it's off.. so very off >.< Perhaps it'll sound a lot more natural once I hear the voicesets in-game, with all the stuff that's there.
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    I think a big part of it is the sound quality. You notice it more because the sound file is unedited. It won't be as noticeable if they fix the filtering, I think.
    People said much the same about Kasumi's voice samples before they were incorporated into ME2.

And lots of "foreign" accents in games are done by American (or in Rashaad's case, Canadian) speakers.
    salieri said:

Rasaad sounds totally like a Canadian doing an indeterminate middle/near-eastern accent. I'm hoping I'll get used to it. I don't totally hate it or anything, but I don't find it especially convincing.

Out of the voices in BG1, I think Gorion and Thalantyr at least were doing their best not to sound American. I'm trying hard to think how Montaron sounded, but I seem to remember him being kind of Cornish.

Does anyone remember the Legacy of Kain series? God I loved the voices in that.

Montaron and Thalantyr had American voices, but with deep gravelly tones. Monty used a lot of "ye" and "yer", very American-as-Hollywood-Pirate. Thalantyr has a grand total of two lines: "I be Thalantyr, Mighty Mage of Beregost." and "Why do I live in such a pissant town." Yes, 'pissant.'

I still thing Gorion and Thalantyr were supposed to sound more olde worlde English even if you could still tell they were American underneath. I'm rerunning Gorion's speeches in my head and in particular the 'o' in 'long' is definitely not American.

The classic cartoon pirate accent is a Cornish accent. It doesn't sound like Steven Fry or Ian McKellen so people might not instantly associate it with Britain. Still, I can't remember Monty well enough to remember how piratey he sounds...
  • Greenman019Greenman019 Member Posts: 206
    Irenicus for the win :]

Montaron can be heard in this clip.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t8_kwOlqeX4&amp;list=SP73B6586E4373F3B3&amp;index=13&amp;feature=plpp_video

I think I'm going to leave this thread now....maybe the whole forum for a while. Quite frankly, I think people are looking for any excuse to complain about BGEE, up to and including pretending that an American accent isn't American, so they can say that Neera is "Too American".
    Sorry, um, did you mean me? I like Neera's voice and I fully recognise that there are tons of American voices in BG. I'm also totally stoked about BG:EE and extremely reluctant to find any fault with it. Nevertheless, that is without doubt an exaggerated Cornish accent.
  • JaxsbudgieJaxsbudgie Member Posts: 600
    edited September 2012
    Montaron is definitely an American attempting to sound Cornish. The result is very ambiguous.

As for Neera, yeah, it was pretty American. But then again, I have a very low tolerance for sickly American accents.
    Edit: listening back, when she says 'fuiiitchuureee' it really makes me cringe.
    Post edited by Jaxsbudgie on
  • Permidion_StarkPermidion_Stark Member Posts: 4,861
    I don't think I can really judge the soundsets properly until I hear them in-game. The voices of the original cast are almost as familiar to me as those of my friends and family so it is inevitable that it is going to take me a while to get used to anything new.
  • RexfaroensisRexfaroensis Member Posts: 134
    I've commented on this in another thread (probably the one with Rasaad); I just think the the voice-acting seems a bit underdeveloped. Seems as if they didn't really know what to do, and went 'oh f**k it, try something out... yeah.. ok... that's cool. We'll use that'
  • neleotheszeneleothesze Member Posts: 231
    edited September 2012
    I really love Rasaad's voice acting and how the voice actor seemed to put feeling into the sound bits. Listening to them right after reading the story made me go "Yeah, I can definitely see him grow up like that."

I don't particularly like Neera's voice but I think that's because she reminds me of Imoen. As to the quality of the voice acting, the new voices are above quite a few of the BG1 & 2 in terms of quality. Throwing a blanket statement that they don't fit is... ...silly. You had a female voice in BG1 who sounded like an American trying to sound like a stern German schoolmistress. And it was funny not wrong! :D

Considering I'm not a native English speaker I can't tell the difference between an american trying to speak with an Arabic accent or an arab trying to speak English with an accent. Maybe that's why it doesn't bother me. :)
  • NathanNathan Member Posts: 1,007
    edited September 2012
    @Khyron and everyone: Hello! Just to chime in here as the resident audio dude who's doing the work - the samples that were put up were completely raw and un-processed.

I'm doing some extra work including basic dialogue cleaning as well as the usual suspects of audio processing to make the new work match the old stuff, so rest assured I'm doing my best to ensure it won't sound jarring in-game.

As for things feeling out of place - when you get a chance to hear it in game, I'd be surprised if you still felt that way but time will tell. The bottom line is that this is new content being added to a game that people have been hearing for 14 years at this point. The recording quality has changed, the tools being used to cut it and process it are vastly different, the voice actors are different - even if we got the same ones it wouldn't feel the same because they're older. It'll feel different at first, but given time to adjust it should feel natural going forward.

As an aside:
    Accents are a funny thing - when I was working on Dragon Age: Origins, the voice actress responsible for Leliana was a French voice actress (from France, not Quebec) who couldn't speak English, and had to sound out her English lines with the help of a translator. The kicker: people complained about the accent sounding fake. Seriously, check out this youtube and its comments.