Skip to content

Assassin - Fighter, when to dual (Bg:EE,SoD,Bg2:EE run)

Hello to you all!
When I first saw that SoD was getting close to release, i thought that i should start a new game in preperation for it. But alas, RL got in the way.
Now on the other hand i have time to play again!

to get to the point:
My idea for my new char was an Assassin dueled to Fighter at some point in Bg:EE (around lvl 5 to max out my find traps) to create an archer with poison. Then i noticed that poison weapon hade been changed.
Should i still go ahead an dual at 5? wait for lvl 9 (and not use my character concept untill SoD) or even wait for 13?

/Cheers Rangeltoft

Comments

• DetectiveMittensDetectiveMittens Member Posts: 235
    edited April 2016
    The last time I played an Assassin/Fighter Dual I thought it'd be hilarious to go all the way up to Thief 25/ Fighter 26.

RP wise, he was a hot-shot assassin who upon reaching the peak of his profession was critically injured, leaving him for worse and left using a quarterstaff - mainly for support, as he was unable to lift a sword. Only to slowly progress as a fighter and finally regain his combat prowess where he, and his trusty stick, would thwack people from behind for 'excessive' damage.

I think your idea is interesting, I think Thief 9 would probably be the better avenue as you will have the 4x backstab and have regain your skills early into SoD.
  • DevardKrownDevardKrown Member Posts: 421
    edited April 2016
    Go with lvl 9 , if you want it to build as an Archer your HP are not that Important, not to mention you wont wear more than Studded leather anyway to use thief Skills so why not have the 2 that replace a full thief in the first place.

only put 90 into Lock/Traps , with the +1 Dex book you hit 95 which is enough for everything , leaving you 15 points for set traps (which maxes out at 25 then , not much but 25% on a trap is at least a reasonable chance to use them) you also can wear Kiels buckler boosting all skills by 5% then you need them.

but in my humble opinion i would consider Going the other way Around.

Making a Fighter 7/Thief.
    -a Fighter Starts off way Stronger then a Thief.
    -a Fighter maxes out at 13 while a thief keeps getting goodies like traps , more points , backstab etc.
    (also UAI holy hell, the time you can use it your Familiar boost you another 24 HP, not to mention you can spam Fireball Wands and all spells you would normally just sell for more sparegold flying around your pocket)
    -you can Grandmaster any ranged weapon you want ( i would go with crossbows , army scythe is great for BG1 and Firetooth+4 is to snatch right away in BG2 giving you your end weapon as soon as you can afford 35k gold, also don't forget that that fire dmg would break through all them stoneskins making it basically a mini poison weapon))
    -you can use Short bow's * as Substitute while being a Thief.(consider the second start * for quarterstaff so you have a blunt/backstab weapon, and if you wanna go really meta you pause thief after lvl 3 and only level up with 70k xp , boosting you to lvl 8 right away and allowing you to set the 2 ** from lvl 4+8 wherever you want them , one for your range grandmastery and one * to specialize in quarterstaff's)
    -but you wanted Poison right ? well that Comes with lvl 11 Traps... they not only chunk away a gigantic piece of enemy's , but also Poison them suckers up good not to mention you actually have the Points to set it to 100 and not hover over the reload button all the time.... and lets be fair , 95% of the BG1 enemy's aint even worth being poisoned in the first Place, also you keep getting more trap uses while Poison weapon maxes out at 3 Uses per Day.

just my 2 Copper, have fun :)
  • dunbardunbar Member Posts: 1,603
    edited April 2016
    I was playing around a lot with assassin>fighter (as well as mage) before 2.0 came out. Now that PW has been nerfed the dynamic is different and PW is much less of a consideration in the build.
    Edit: This is the relevant thread:
    https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/48418/poison-weapon
  • RangeltoftRangeltoft Member Posts: 83
    Thanks for the respons guys! So lvl 9 seems to be the best spot to dual on.

DevardKrown- I have played Fighter/Thief dual before, Wizard Slayer/Thief is one of my favorite character builds! Not a big fan of traps tho, since those make me "meta-game" alot more then i should, Unless there is a mod that lets you trap while around enemies?
  • DevardKrownDevardKrown Member Posts: 421

Thanks for the respons guys! So lvl 9 seems to be the best spot to dual on.

DevardKrown- I have played Fighter/Thief dual before, Wizard Slayer/Thief is one of my favorite character builds! Not a big fan of traps tho, since those make me "meta-game" alot more then i should, Unless there is a mod that lets you trap while around enemies?

Sadly not, but the Enemy's only don't have to be in Visual range of your Thief...he could duck behind a Corner and toss a Trap down ..

i just don't think Poison weapon cuts it for BG1/2 you could just use magical Ammunition and use the Better Fighter Thac0 to interrupt with similar success all day Long...
    But im not telling you how to Play , go for it , be the Assassin you want to be ! :) just don't cut your Fingers while applying poison
  • MeglaGnomeMeglaGnome Member Posts: 5
    I played through BG ee and BG2 ee with Zal'o'Darts.
    Assassin 11 >> Fighter.
    Thief skills 100% Open Lock 100% find remove traps, the balance into traps.
    4 x Assassin proficiencies: * Short Bow, * Long Sword (to get through BG1), * 1 handed weapon style, * 2 handed weapon style
    I used the 12 fighter levels with 8 proficiencies to get : ***** Dart *** spear.
    I headed over to Watchers Keep as soon as I exited Irenicus's dungeon, cleared Level 1 to get the Crimson Dart (+3 returning dart).
    Character plays as a lower hit point range and reach fighter, who can also provide bare bones thief skills in a evil party. Poison weapon + 5 attacks per round (10 with Improved haste from Ring of Gaxx) slays dragons quite easily.
    Not the most powergamey build. But a ton of fun.
  • SouthpawSouthpaw Member Posts: 2,026
    I propose a slightly illegal (but my favourite as far as power-gaming goes) variant - Fighter dualled to Assassin. (Needs a little bit of tinkering in EEkeeper at the start of the game tho).

If you want to have both in BGEE, dual Fighter to Assassin at level 7 (after he gets his +1/2 APR). If you want to go further, go at level 9 or 13 in BG2EE.
    Pros:
    - Poison Weapon, 7x backstab multiplier, +1hit/dmg innate Assassin's multiplier
    - Fighter's HP, APR and proficiencies (can get to GM)
    - strong, killing machine
    - still gets a lot of Thieving points to do whatever you'd want by the end of BG2EE
    Cons:
    - there are no cons
  • DanacmDanacm Member Posts: 951
    Southpaw said:

I propose a slightly illegal (but my favourite as far as power-gaming goes) variant - Fighter dualled to Assassin. (Needs a little bit of tinkering in EEkeeper at the start of the game tho).

If you want to have both in BGEE, dual Fighter to Assassin at level 7 (after he gets his +1/2 APR). If you want to go further, go at level 9 or 13 in BG2EE.
    Pros:
    - Poison Weapon, 7x backstab multiplier, +1hit/dmg innate Assassin's multiplier
    - Fighter's HP, APR and proficiencies (can get to GM)
    - strong, killing machine
    - still gets a lot of Thieving points to do whatever you'd want by the end of BG2EE
    Cons:
    - there are no cons

I like it too :) i know its illegal but dual class into kit is awesome. I used to dual fighter into shapeshifter, assasin, swashbuckler, but never finished the game with them. Its best to before dual, edit with ee keeper your kit to your dualling kit, and after dual it automaticly use the kitted second class.